Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the Audiolink yesterday and i am complete satisfied with the unit but i did notice something. When i turn the car off the ipod contiues to charge. Is this normal, i know the ipod does not draw that much power but i have had bad experience in other cars. So i am putting it out there.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If the iPod manages to drain my car battery I think it's time for a new battery.

Yes, I think this operation is normal and is even a feature.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
That little ipod drains your battery?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just received the Audiolink yesterday and i am complete satisfied with the unit but i did notice something. When i turn the car off the ipod contiues to charge. Is this normal, i know the ipod does not draw that much power but i have had bad experience in other cars. So i am putting it out there.
[/b]
how hard was the install, time wise?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how hard was the install, time wise?
[/b]

Other than the fact that i have fat fingers and getting the cup holder clips out was a pain in the ass but once that pops off its smooth sailing - make sure u read the tutorial about removing the center console - it helps a lot. With being anal about were the wires went it took me about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish

·
Registered
170 Posts
[/b]
I have the USB version of the Audio Link. I noticed that the flash drive stays on after I turn the car off, but after about 20 seconds, it turns off. Is yours staying on indefinately?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have the USB version of the Audio Link. I noticed that the flash drive stays on after I turn the car off, but after about 20 seconds, it turns off. Is yours staying on indefinately?
[/b]
iPods never turn off, ever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Other than the fact that i have fat fingers and getting the cup holder clips out was a pain in the ass but once that pops off its smooth sailing - make sure u read the tutorial about removing the center console - it helps a lot. With being anal about were the wires went it took me about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish
[/b]
cool, thanks

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
If the iPod manages to drain my car battery I think it's time for a new battery.

Yes, I think this operation is normal and is even a feature.
[/b]
This is correct.

The iPod manages it's own battery. It will not overcharge, so essentially, once the iPod is fully charged, it uses no power. This is why it is safe to leave it plugged in without worrying about your car battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might be slightly off topic but I’ve also just recently purchases the audiolink for my speed6 and it’s working pretty good although once in a while I lose complete control of the ipod from the steering wheel and the head unit. So then I’m left having to switch songs, etc manually on the IPOD. Am I doing something wrong maybe? I think I read some place that the audiolink had 2 operating modes….maybe I’m switching them unintentionally? I guess my main concern is that I didn’t get a defective unit. Basically if I unplug the IPOD and turn off the car it will usually work ok once I start the car and plug the IPOD in again… Any ideas? (I tried searching but didn’t find much)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Might be slightly off topic but I’ve also just recently purchases the audiolink for my speed6 and it’s working pretty good although once in a while I lose complete control of the ipod from the steering wheel and the head unit. So then I’m left having to switch songs, etc manually on the IPOD. Am I doing something wrong maybe? I think I read some place that the audiolink had 2 operating modes….maybe I’m switching them unintentionally? I guess my main concern is that I didn’t get a defective unit. Basically if I unplug the IPOD and turn off the car it will usually work ok once I start the car and plug the IPOD in again… Any ideas? (I tried searching but didn’t find much)
[/b]
Next Disc / Prev Disc are used to flip through playlists on the iPod. If your display says EV: 1 then you are in normal mode, and can choose a song using the ipod, or use the steering wheel controls. If you push Next Disc, it will go to EV: 2, which is the first playlist on the iPod. When you are using playlist mode, the iPod controls won't work, but the steering wheel controls will.

Sometimes when I start the car, the iPod is paused and doesn't unpause, and therefore, none of my controls work. I've been able to fix it by pushing Next Disc to go to playlist mode, and then Prev Disc to go back to normal mode. This usually starts playing the iPod and I have my controls.

Hope that helped.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Just as a note, if you consistently have problems, please send us an email via our website with your order number and a description of the problem and we will help you solve it.

For example, if you have the latest iPod that supports videos and you have the problem where sometimes the iPod does not activate properly on startup, a firmware update to the AudioLink will solve the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Dekz I'll give that a try on my drive home later. As for the IPOD I'm using one of the new 8 gig nanos. It's very random...I can be driving and flip through a couple songs on the steering wheel and next thing you know I can't change them anymore. Either that or it works fine and I'll go into a store or something and leave the IPOD connected and when I turn the car back on the controls just aren't available. Falcontx I'll keep a close eye on it and will definitely email you if the issue doesn't go away. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just as a note, if you consistently have problems, please send us an email via our website with your order number and a description of the problem and we will help you solve it.

For example, if you have the latest iPod that supports videos and you have the problem where sometimes the iPod does not activate properly on startup, a firmware update to the AudioLink will solve the problem.
[/b]
I have that problem! Sometimes when I start my car the iPod doesn't start playing. I have to press the skip button on the steering wheel to get it to start.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
odd. i have the 4g ipod. it works perfectly fine. after i did a software update on the ipod (it froze it before)

now it turns off/on w/ the car.. and works as promised

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I am in ev8 88 and cant seem to get out of it so i have no control. I will try to reset it and hope it works, but i just installed in last night and it worked fine now just a couple hours ago i started it up and it says ev8 88 instead and does not work using steering wheel. I pressed next disk and still does not work for me. I will try and reset the battery maybe. pain in the butt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have that problem! Sometimes when I start my car the iPod doesn't start playing. I have to press the skip button on the steering wheel to get it to start.
[/b]

I've seen this happen too with my Audio Link.

Another thing that I've noticed is that sometimes when I hit the power button to turn the head unit off, it takes it as a double-press and turns back on. I didn't have the car very long before I put the Audio Link in, though, so I don't know if it's caused by the Audio Link. Anyone have any experience this this issue?

I was having a third issue with my Audio Link where occasionally I would hear a periodic buzzing noise.... kinda "eeeeeh" (half-second) "eeeeh" (half-second) "eeeeh". I had the Audio Link mounted to the right of the shifter, taped the the inside of the plastic wall of the center console.

When I heard the noise I would "pull a Fonzie" and slap that area of the center console and the noise would stop. It would eventually come back... and I'd slap it again.

Eventually I moved the Audio Link to be under the cup holders. The noise pretty much went away, though I *did* hear a different buzzing noise come from it once. It was perfectly fine for a week after that... and then something died.

Now when I hit the CD button twice it won't go into iPod mode anymore. :( I've yet to have the time to dive back into the console and figure out if a connector came loose of if there's another issue.

Anyone else have any problems like these?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Update:

I've removed the Audio Link from my car, and the power switch for the stereo still occasionally reacts to a single push as if I had pushed it twice... so this doesn't appear to be caused by having the Audio Link installed.

I contacted RPM about the problems I'm having, and Donny is being very generous in helping me solve the issue. Really good customer service. I'll update this thread once the new unit is installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts