Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone asks, yes I've used the search function and found plenty of informative ... um ... info :D . But I still have a few questions unanswered. Please keep in mind that I am completely illiterate when it comes to car electronics. Note: I have the stock tape player installed in my 6.

1. When you plug in the adapter does that mean you have to unplug something else? The tape player for instance?

2. I know there's an issue with the 2004 6. I bought mine in 2004 but the sticker says it was manufactured in Dec 2003. So is there an easy way to know if this issue affects me?

3. I have also read about an issue where the poster had to do some soldering on the adapter itself (albeit the iPod version). Is this a seperate issue or a workaround from the 2004 issue?

4. I have also read about some kind of firmware update. What does it entail? Should I wait for it or can I "flash" the new firmware later?

5. I know that the LED display won't show the song names, only numbers. Is there a way around it? I've read something about the Metra Kit, would that help?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Q1. When you plug in the adapter does that mean you have to unplug something else? The tape player for instance?
you cannot use the AL AND external CD changer or factory OEM SAT radio box, they all use the same 16 pin connector on the back of the radio

Q2. I know there's an issue with the 2004 6. I bought mine in 2004 but the sticker says it was manufactured in Dec 2003. So is there an easy way to know if this issue affects me?
if your car is a 2004 model year, which it sounds like, you will most likely need to solder jumper L716 to enable the external input

Q3. I have also read about an issue where the poster had to do some soldering on the adapter itself (albeit the iPod version). Is this a seperate issue or a workaround from the 2004 issue?
see Q2

Q4. I have also read about some kind of firmware update. What does it entail? Should I wait for it or can I "flash" the new firmware later?
the new firmware has been out for months; any AL you buy now will come with the updated firmware

Q5. I know that the LED display won't show the song names, only numbers. Is there a way around it? I've read something about the Metra Kit, would that help?
no. there's no way around. the Metra Kit will allow you to change the greeting. if you plan on removing the stock radio and installing an aftermarket HU you won't need the AL.

the AL is a great option if you plan on keeping the stock HU. if you're bigger scheme involves replacing the stock HU with an aftermarket deck you're better off not spending your money on an aux-in and buying your aftermarket deck & metra kit instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts