Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed the Audio Link Ipod installation and took a few pictures of my setup. I have a 2006 with automatic climate control and manual transmission. The guide on how to take apart your console was definately helpful and I added a few comments to them below.

Removing the cupholders: The 06 models don't come with a cover for the cupholders so at first I wasn't sure if removal was the same, however, I pretty much went by the same thing and it worked out fine.

Removing the shift-gate: This was tougher than I expected. For some reason the two clips that were holding this in place wouldn't come out but I finally got it off.

Unclipping the Parking brake and Lighter connections: This took me awhile to figure out as well as I wasn't sure how much pressure to put on the lighter connection. I finally got the lighter connection off and decided that I didn't need to disconnect the parking brake connection to completely remove the center console.

Removing the bolt through the glove box: I found that I could reach inside the glove box hole after I loosened the bolt and remove it from my fingers. I wouldn't recommend this if you have big fingers or hands but I was afraid of dropping the bolt.

After I plugged in the connection to the back of the headunit I feeded the wire to the bottom of the center console and then connected the ipod part of the cable through a small hole in the right hand side of the shift-gate.

I ran the ipod cable down the right side of the shift gate and tucked it underneath the foam which was on the side of the panel.

I was thinking about drilling a hole through my armrest so the cable wouldn't be exposed but decided not to do this at the moment. I could always remove the cupholders and shift gate again if I wanted to that in the future. If you did want to drill a hole it would probably come out about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the armrest cubby.

For some reason my photos wouldn't work on the pictures. Not sure why.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of your install. I put mine behind the glovebox wire-tied just above the latch. I keep my iPod in there for security purposes, but it sure would be nice to have it somewhere a little more accessible like the console. I'd love to see just how you went about setting up yours. I'm guessing the reason the pics didn't upload is due to the size of the images. If you wouldn't mind, try resizing them to 640x480 (Microsoft has an Image Resize "power toy" for Windows XP that is very easy to use - you can download from their site - PM me if you need a URL to download it from). Thanks!

EDIT: You can download the Image Resizer PowerToy from Microsoft here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...wertoySetup.exe

·
Registered
457 Posts
Interestingly enough, I managed to plug in the audiolink *without* removing the console at all. Entirely possible, but having skinny arms and being flexible is a requirement - I left the audiolink sitting in the footwell of the driver's side between the console plastic and carpet.

Edit: this does require a certain amount of skill in bullshitting (or for nicer wording, picturing that which you have never seen before) in maneuvering your hand, arm, and possibly up to the elbow around carpet, plastic, air ducts, and whatever else was there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was thinking about drilling a hole through my armrest so the cable wouldn't be exposed but decided not to do this at the moment. I could always remove the cupholders and shift gate again if I wanted to that in the future. If you did want to drill a hole it would probably come out about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the armrest cubby.

For some reason my photos wouldn't work on the pictures. Not sure why.
[/b]
you don't have to drill a hole ... if you take everything out and pull the carpet out of the bottom, there is a grate. The grate in my car was plastic, and as far as i can tell it really serves no purpose, so i used needle nose pliers and just broke a few of the pieces of the grate to make a hole big enough for the miniplug to get through .... for the ipod connector ... i'd imagine if you broke 2 of them that are side by side you can turn 3 of the small holes into one larger, long hole and fit the connector through there.

here's a picture someone else posted of what i'm talking about. In my '05M6 the grate was plastic.
[attachmentid=16307]

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's a pic of my setup, I'm using a cell phone mount that was in the car when I bought it, works great, Ipod just velco's on the mount, easy access to the pod while driving and I take it with me when I park and tuck the wiring in the ashtray and it just looks like I have a phone holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
DoubleD .... thats exactly how mine is mounted .... minus the velcro, i have an ipod holder with a swivel base that screwed into that metal plate, so i can turn the ipod to adjust for sun glare or the passenger to see it or whatever .... i'll take a pic of it tongiht from the side and post it

Did you drill a hole for the cord? Or just fit it through somewhere near the lighter plug? Mine comes out from under the glovebox as of now, but if i can get it through where you did, so i can push the cord back down in when the ipod isn't there, i think that would be better than leaving it hanging on the floor

·
Registered
57 Posts
DoubleD .... thats exactly how mine is mounted .... minus the velcro, i have an ipod holder with a swivel base that screwed into that metal plate, so i can turn the ipod to adjust for sun glare or the passenger to see it or whatever .... i'll take a pic of it tongiht from the side and post it

Did you drill a hole for the cord? Or just fit it through somewhere near the lighter plug? Mine comes out from under the glovebox as of now, but if i can get it through where you did, so i can push the cord back down in when the ipod isn't there, i think that would be better than leaving it hanging on the floor
[/b]
I don't know if you remember but I had actually first mounted my Ipod dock in the ashtray but it didn't work out as well as I thought so I opted for this setup. So now my ashtray is no more and its just a platform inside of their. The cord passes though the back of the ashtray. What you could do is take out the center console and unscrew the ashtray from it and cut a notch (just big enough for the size of the cable)in the top of the ashtray(at the back side of the ahstray) where it meets the console. The reassemble the ashtray to the console with the cord in the notch leaving enough slack to reach the HU, the other side will feed out of the front of the ashtray to the Ipod. If I'm not clear enough let me know and I'll try to explain further.
Derek

·
Registered
195 Posts
well, now that i'm thinking about it, where i mounted the audiolink box there won't be enough cord to reach down through there, and i don't really want to move it since i attached it to a metal bar behind the console. I'm just going to leave it... but i'll put a picture of the mount up when i get home, and a link to where i bought it from if your interested.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well, now that i'm thinking about it, where i mounted the audiolink box there won't be enough cord to reach down through there, and i don't really want to move it since i attached it to a metal bar behind the console. I'm just going to leave it... but i'll put a picture of the mount up when i get home, and a link to where i bought it from if your interested.
[/b]
thats cool, I have an auto and the audiolink box is just zip tied to some wires down near the side of the shifter. I'd like to see the swivel mount you have sounds like a good option, post the link to it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the pix. I wish they hadn't omitted the ashtray compartment on the '06. That's the ideal setup.

Your bracket reminds me of the Bracketron bracket I had in my Pilot. Never thought about getting one of them for the 6 - might have to look into that.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK .... here's a list of everything i used ....

INDASH by Panavise (this is the metal bracket that DoubleD and I have in our dash boards) The bracket is vehicle specific, so make sure you get the right one. It does require removal of the center console because it screws in behind the HU

[attachmentid=16319]

The next part is the "swivel tilter" from cellularmount.com
(top row in the center) and mounted to that is the PDA holder, also from cellularmount.com, which is listed on thats page right under the swivel tilter. When I bought it they had both pieces available as one unit and it was $30 i think, but i don't see it on their page anymore.... maybe call them and ask?

So, here's 2 pictures of what it all looks like installed with the ipod and audiolink
[attachmentid=16321]
[attachmentid=16322]

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice install, I am thinking that maybe a way of getting around having to have a big clunky PDA holder is the just clip on the iPod to the Panavise mount (i have the iskin evo3 ipod case).

I may try this option!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Anyone got some tips on how to do the install the lazy mans way? (Just using flexibility). I would like to do it that way and I think I have the skinny (but strong mind you) arms to do it haha.
[/b]
Don't bother. It took me at tops 25 minutes to remove the console and install the ipod adapter. Beats cutting the shit out of your hand on every sharp piece of metal they put behind that dash. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice install, I am thinking that maybe a way of getting around having to have a big clunky PDA holder is the just clip on the iPod to the Panavise mount (i have the iskin evo3 ipod case).

I may try this option!
[/b]
I had it that way origionally, but its not adjustable. So, say you need to turn it to deal with glare from the sun, or the person in the passenger seat wants to see it .... whatever .... so i added the moveable mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't bother. It took me at tops 25 minutes to remove the console and install the ipod adapter. Beats cutting the shit out of your hand on every sharp piece of metal they put behind that dash. Just my opinion though.
[/b]
I agree. I started to attempt the lazy man's method but my hands/arms are too big - there is certainly a lot of sharp stuff behind the dash.

So I gave up and removed the stereo - it's amazing how easy it is. I have a '06 6 and everything just popped off like it should. It took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I left the audiolink in the glovebox for the time being with intentions of moving it to the rear storage bin.

Now I need a 4-gig flash drive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I ordered it already from some canyonmobile website. Thanks though.

Dropped $95 today on getting my iPod mounted in my car... Over $200 if you count the audiolink...my god, what have I done?

It'll be real tight though, check out the mount I got. It is a dock so I just slap in my case and grab it when I am done!

Link

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, I just got done remounting my Audiolink and have to say I'm pleased. At first, I drilled a hole toward the top of the dash cubby (where the Nav screen should be), but then realized that based on the only good wire paths, there was no easy way to mount the Audiolink box. This sucks because I really thought it would be handy to set my iPod into that cubby and have easy access to it while driving.

So, I reconsidered and decided to mount the Audiolink in the console under the cup holders. I drilled a 1/2" hole on the inside of the armrest bin (just below the passenger's side seat heater button). Then, I snaked the wires up into the dash and also into bin below the armrest. I used wire ties to mount the Audio link (found that double-sided sticky tape didn't like to adhere to the plastic inside the console) and used a few additional wire ties to secure the cables both going to the stereo and to the iPod.

This provided for a very clean install. I now keep the iPod in the armrest bin and still have enough play in the cables to easily pull the iPod out and set it in my cup holder should I need to access the menus. Conveniently, Mazda molded a nice little notch to allow wires to extend from the under-armrest bin with the armrest in the closed position (presumably for wiring coming from the 12V outlet in that area).

Anyway, it works a LOT better than keeping it in the glove box and I'm pleased that I'll no longer have to excuse my reach when there's a passenger and I need to get my iPod out.

Thanks for all the ideas in this thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts