Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
As far as I've heard, it works well. I have the audiolink for ipod, and i believe this connects the same way, and it was pretty easy to do. Sound quality is very good off the ipod, search and see what you find about the usb one because i know i saw someone post about it recently.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...sometimes I wish I'd have bought an iPod instead of the Dell Jukebox because of all the aftermarket toys....it's pretty frustrating trying to pick the right device to make it sound good in this car w/ the factory radio. I have a FM device now and that thing sux ass.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the iPod one as well. Works well with the playlist functionality (you can control the playlists from the factory HU).

Not sure about this, but I believe the USB one does not have folder navigation, which means it will play all the song in order as it finds them, which would make it a pain.

If someone could confirm that, that would be good. If that is not the case, I don't see there being any major differences between the two products. Works great, sounds great, easy to install.

One other thing to note is you may have to solder a jumper depending on the model year of your 6. I believe it's for the 2005.

There's also alot of info and questions answered in the group buy thread for this product, of you're willing to search through the 30+ pages :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
ALL of the FM devices suck ass compared to something that is hard wired. Even a cassette tape with the ugly wire sounded better in every car i've ever used it in than the FM thing. I wonder if there is an adapter out there so you can use an ipod cable on the dell jukebox?

·
Registered
195 Posts
it's the 2004 HU that needs the mod for it to work. Its working great in my 05, and i didn't do anythign but plug it in.

Jeez ... try jumping into the dell support forum fior the jukebox and ask around about car nitegration solutions?

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks...sometimes I wish I'd have bought an iPod instead of the Dell Jukebox because of all the aftermarket toys....it's pretty frustrating trying to pick the right device to make it sound good in this car w/ the factory radio. I have a FM device now and that thing sux ass.
[/b]
Precisely why I ditched my Dell DJ15 a couple of years ago. I thought it was frivolous at the time, but I really wanted to use some of the integration products that simply didn't exist for the DJ which was otherwise a very good MP3 player.

I now have an iPod Photo 20GB with the Audiolink integration kit and really like it. My one (and only) wish is that the display would give some information about the track currently playing, but otherwise it's excellent. I put my iPod in the glovebox, set it on shuffle and enjoy my own personal radio station that only has songs on it that I like.

I know it's painful to think about after you've invested a couple hundred bucks on a DJ, but you really should consider an iPod and eBaying the DJ.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have this integration kit on my 06 6, and it works great - even have a 4 gb flash drive to hold music on so I don't have to hook up my Sansa. Great decode quality, easy to use. Only PITA is not knowing the song/track number and using the 9 folders to store your songs, even if you use sub folders. I'd still recommend it though.

There is no need to get an ipod, don't waste the money. Granted with this you can't change the music from the steering wheel if you use the 3.5 mm headphone jack input (although you can if you use a usb driven device, i.e. flash drive or certain mp3 players), but ipod's are over rated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have this integration kit on my 06 6, and it works great - even have a 4 gb flash drive to hold music on so I don't have to hook up my Sansa. Great decode quality, easy to use. Only PITA is not knowing the song/track number and using the 9 folders to store your songs, even if you use sub folders. I'd still recommend it though.

There is no need to get an ipod, don't waste the money. Granted with this you can't change the music from the steering wheel if you use the 3.5 mm headphone jack input (although you can if you use a usb driven device, i.e. flash drive or certain mp3 players), but ipod's are over rated.
[/b]
I can see where you might think that if you didn't own one, but if you have a lot of music like I do (300+ CDs), you simply can't carry around your entire music collection (very handy) with a small flash-based device. I'm not saying the iPod is the be-all, end-all of MP3 playback, but it's pretty sweet compared to the other devices I've owned and used. There's something to be said about being able to take your entire music collection wherever you go - and the sheer quantity of aftermarket options available for it.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you use 30 gb (just an example), all the more power to you for an Ipod. I personally have just over 14gb, which is 199 different albums at high quality (some mp3, some mp4 by mistake).
However, 4-6gb of music is more than enough in reality for anyone on a day to day basis. That is still a lot of music, and a lot of what I have I listen to maybe once in a blue moon or never. Actually NEEDING that much space is absurd.

If all you do is shuffle music, then 30 gb is great, but for oddballs such as myself who listen to music album by album, it is annoying as piss to try to navigate through name after name after name. I'd rather just not have it than spend 3-5 minutes just trying to find what I want while I'm driving.

Edit: if you didn't know, a Sandisk Sansa E270 (what I have) is near identical to an Ipod nano, the scroll wheel is slightly different though. While I don't think 30 gb is necessary, I do understand the greatness of that scroll wheel, which isn't too common in mp3 players. I've used the other devices with push up/down scrolling, and it just isn't as effective. In that regard, yes Ipod's rule.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ipod is definately not overrated. you can keep all of you music on it, and with you all the time, and not have to decide before you leave the house what you feel like listening to. they are 100's of accessories for it, many newer cars are comming with it already integrated and everyone else most likely has one, so its very easy to get music from theirs to yours.

i don't even see why companies like Dell/Creative and now microsoft are even trying to compete. Ipod has such a firm grip on society and the portable mps player market, i think its a waste of money for anyone else to even try to get into it because they'll never be able to come out with enough accessories to compete, let alone get current ipod owners to convert. I have audiolink for ipod already installed in my car ... why would i ever buy a different mps player? No other brand will be compatible with my audiolink, and no one makes an audio link for any other brand? I'd ebay the jukebox and get the ipod and audio link.

Also, when its not being used in playlist mode, the ipod screen and click wheel both work, so you can see what songs your scrolling around, what folder you are in, and switch artists or find the song you want very easily. Especially since i have mine mounted where i can reach it/see it/use it without having to dedicate a hand to it (i don't have to hold it, so if i need my hand for whatever reason i don't have to first put the ipod down). For the price and functionality, I'm a fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts