Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, im not very happy with most of the people over at 3rev forums and some of what im going to be doing can benefit you guys so im just gonna post here.

First step is to see why the door seems MORE resonant after the deer hit getting fixed. Turns out the skin was just flapping in the wind. I havent taken the pass side off to see if theres a difference, but im sure there will be since ive found other issues on the left side left by the body shop.

First thing i noticed was, they cut the inner door card... wtf?

Then, these blobs of, whatever rubber something, didnt adhere to the skin at all, so it was just flapping from the speaker

Taking some advice from a YT video discussed on here a few times, i altered the recipe cause i couldnt find the fiberglass style ceiling tiles and opted for some aluminum backed bubble wrap insulation. $20 for 24"x25' (IIRC) and i figured thatll go a long way. I also got some rubber floor stress relief pads from Harbor Freight, but i think it wont work as well as if i glued it and dont want to just yet. I used fiberglass wire chasing rods to secure it, since they flex really well and wont rot or mildew.

This all worked out pretty well, even though there are still buzzes, im hearing more midbass on the left side. It isolated the skin and revealed other parts around the mirrors and such which will be address next time with another non perm idea. I think im gonna pull the mat and just use the bubble wrap insulation though.

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
Great start! I did my time in the custom audio world and I don't think I'll be back there any time soon - but I can appreciate a proper build :)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great start! I did my time in the custom audio world and I don't think I'll be back there any time soon - but I can appreciate a proper build :)
Ive been sitting on this stuff for almost a decade and a half and didnt really have a car to put it in. The Bose in the 6 was sufficient enough for the time i spent in the car, that i didnt want to change it out, mainly cause i rode my motorcycle when it was nice, so time in the car was limited. Now that my bike is out of commission AND i have really nice car, i want to stuff it all in the 3.

I picked up some non glass insulation and ordered some vacuum seal "bags" to use with a food sealer i have to start making packs to stuff into crevices to deaden vibrations (its a tube more or less that you sael with heat to create a pocket, stuff it and seal). One bag weighs 30# and should do more than one car, but i got two in case. I removed the spare tire which weighs over 30# itself as well as the muffler, so even if i added both bags of insulation to it, it would even out. My purpose is to add as little weight as possible, while transferring weight out of it and making it as dead to vibrations as possible.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well, im not very happy with most of the people over at 3rev forums and some of what im going to be doing can benefit you guys so im just gonna post here.
Curious, did you also have problems with the admin Arathol? That guy is an asshole. The whole site sucks IMO, just a bunch of whiners who don't like/are afraid of cars but are too poor to afford the Teslas they actually want. There's a lot more actual enthusiasts on this site.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious, did you also have problems with the admin Arathol? That guy is an asshole. The whole site sucks IMO, just a bunch of whiners who don't like/are afraid of cars but are too poor to afford the Teslas they actually want. There's a lot more actual enthusiasts on this site.
Yup, for a while he followed me around just to contradict me. Im sure he was the one that gave me a week ban cause i didnt like that he (or someone else) would just delete a comment and not explain WHY he didnt like it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the next step was covered today, or so i thought. I pulled the TAU only to find that everyone is mistaken that the BlueTooth is built in. unless they have an external antenna, its not in there. So im hoping its in the CMU, but i dont think im pulling that today. Id spend more time on the car, but i gotta sort some crap out of the garage to make room for a free Hammond Organ a friend is giving me.

I did get two rolls of endless vacuum bags meant for food storage, that ill use to stuff with the insulation. Im hoping this will mean i can use it in the doors, as its freezer proof, so rain shouldnt be an issue in keeping mold at bay.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to take a pic before i put the rear of the car together, this is the only pic i have. I used truck cap foam tape, $4.99 for a 1.25" x 30' roll and it goes a long way. I pulled all the extra wiring leaving only the trunk light bit and used the foam tape to tape it down and also extra strips to dampen the rear deck metal. As you can see, i used the foam tape and more AL backed bubble wrap to create thicker parts to make sure it presses against the metal and it made an audible difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts