Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently ive been having downshifting issues on my 2005 6s auto 6speed tranny. As i de-celerate with no brake applied the car starts to downshift from 6 down to 5 and so on ... as it gets to 4 it stops at about 2500 rpm and the car starts to feel as if its being held back ... then after a couple of second (maybe 5) it kicks ... raises the rpm to about 3500 and then downshifts to 3 and so on normally ... it only happens after coming off a highway ... or when going down a hill and downshifting to 4th gear ... strange huh ?

any one have any suggestions as o what the problem might be?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thats perfectly normal. The car is engine braking to slow you down so you dont like keep speeding up when your going downhill also less wear on brake pads.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
yep perfectly normal. Especially when coming down from 2 to 1. Not so much from the other gears. But i can feel it from 2 to 1 but i dont feel it so much from the other ones.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The 5-second delay doesn't seem normal. I'd take it in and have it looked at. Some of the 6-speed owners have complained of downshift issues in 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I feel really bad shifts from 4th to 5th upshifting, and the only obvious downshifts are from 3rd to 1st....it skips second all the time....

·
Registered
366 Posts
yep perfectly normal. Especially when coming down from 2 to 1. Not so much from the other gears. But i can feel it from 2 to 1 but i dont feel it so much from the other ones.
[/b]
Same here, i only feel it from 2 to 1 and not the other gears too... mines a 5 speed 03 M6....

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have an 05 6s. Happens alot going downhill, 5-4 and sometimes even 4-3. Its not a constant engine brake, just a short one, and normally hops back into 5 with a touch of the gas.

Today i let it go down a long hill. shifted 5-4 and then when gravity really kicked in, shifted back to 5 and i really started rolling :)

But it appears to be normal. I've nagged the shop a several times about it and all I get are "unable to reproduce" or "thats normal" and they clear the ECU and upgrade it if a patch is out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts