Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"X-Force shift knob is engineered to be universally fit with most of the vehicle with manual transmission on the market. This manual shift knob includes 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm rubber boot insert fill the gap between the shift stick and the shift knob. This shift knob can also fit on an automatic transmission shift stick as long as there is no push button on the original shift knob"

First off. This shift knob reminds me alot of the factory one. Both leather, both look about the same size. But i hate the beige leather shifter on my car, its fugly!

This particular shift knob is around 40 dollars with shipping. If you read my quote, it says that the knob will fit MOST automatic shifters.

I was wondering if the boot inserts would be the correct size, being 8, 10, and 12mm. And if so.. do you think this would look good in a 6?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
dont get a universal shift knob, they never fit right with screws coming loose and whatnot. There are plenty of shift knobs that people have on the ATX that are the exact size. TWM makes nice, but pricey ones too

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
dont get a universal shift knob, they never fit right with screws coming loose and whatnot. There are plenty of shift knobs that people have on the ATX that are the exact size. TWM makes nice, but pricey ones too
[/b]
I actually bought one of those for my ATX but they did not fit :swearin: . I had to use those hex screws like every other universal knob out there. What a waste. I have the gunmetal one going for real cheap if anyone wants it!

I took the thing off real quick because when it gets cold it gets COLD! :yesnod:

For me I with the help of fellow members I got to put together a pretty clean looking ATX shift mod using the "Universal" Momo shift knob. Dragon is right when the universals never fit correctly, but I modded mine where I used two of the inserts and drilled small holes through the shifter to have the hex screws go in real snug to the shift rod.

If you want to look at mine, just click the link below to the Yellow Sub. Good luck! :drive:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup.. 100-125 for the TMW shifters. Sadly.. the only one that looks nice is the 125$ one.

So those universal ones dont work very well? Being as its an Auto.. i wont be shifting like crazy, so how exactly do these things come loose?

Ahhhhhhhhh!

I guess i have to save up for a MOMO shifter or something. I want something in black leather top, thats has the grip design kinda like the stock shifter.

Im really not a huge fan of the round shifters, seeing as i have an ATX.. i want something more subtle and natural looking.

Anyone have suggestions of something that would work for me? KP's momo shifter looks nice, something around that design.

But i guess i cant be picky, you have to play for quality in most cases.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hey Kpjimmy, Nice looking shifter mod. I assume it was a bear to accomplish? I was thinking of doing something like this to mine but I'm afraid it will end up like hell. Any tips to sway me into to trying? Thanks...shoot me a PM, if you could.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yeah I got the Flat Black one from TWM. It's awesome. It's threaded all the way down inside so I could thread it right down to the top of the knob. So it's fairly low which feels better.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Yup.. 100-125 for the TMW shifters. Sadly.. the only one that looks nice is the 125$ one.

So those universal ones dont work very well? Being as its an Auto.. i wont be shifting like crazy, so how exactly do these things come loose?

Ahhhhhhhhh!

I guess i have to save up for a MOMO shifter or something. I want something in black leather top, thats has the grip design kinda like the stock shifter.

Im really not a huge fan of the round shifters, seeing as i have an ATX.. i want something more subtle and natural looking.

Anyone have suggestions of something that would work for me? KP's momo shifter looks nice, something around that design.

But i guess i cant be picky, you have to play for quality in most cases.
[/b]
My suggestion is to look at the cardomain store and look at some of the shifters there. I did extensive research in the right one where it would be stone cold in the winter, whereas theres leather on the palm rather than metal. The one I chose, which was a bit pricey until I looked around to see the price I was comfortable to pay. I went with an online retailer, shopmomo.com aka Rhad Performance. I have dealt with them in buying PIAA fog light bulbs and when I call them, they are on top of their game.

Ok back to the topic at hand, I saw some on cardomain that almost resemble the stock knob. It was black leather all around, I almost opted for this one. I think it was the Autotomic short or tall one.

Well good luck!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got a razo shift knob that was universal. I've had it on for about 3 months and have had no problems. It has never slipped or spun...but its an ATX so not a lot of movement.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a universal MOMO Combat Evo shift knob. All I did was drill one of the small rubber boots, for a more correct size, slid that down to where I wanted my shifter to sit. I've had it on there for over a year, even taken if off a few times to mess with the radio. No problems at all...Just make sure all the hex screws are equally tight. I also have an ATX, with shift boot mod. I had another cheap universal one, and doesn't seem to be much of a different in looks compared to the momo, but I could never keep it tight enough. My now ex-gf used to spin my shift knob around just to piss me off....

Recommendation: MOMO!!

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
It's either 8mm x 1.25mm or 7mm x 1.00mm, because it was either the smallest or next to the smallest adapter I had in my shift knob package.

$125 for a good looking shifter? :p I paid about $30 for mine and I think it looks great. Plenty of people have reservations about why I picked it, but once they drove it in manual mode, they said I made the right choice, because it feels so good when shifting.

Hurst T-handle chrome shift knob, BTW.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Just a quick image link here. Not sure if everyone can see it.

This is the MOMO shifter that im thinking about getting for my ATX.

Question is.. do you think this will look nice in my car? Im not a big fan of the carbon fiber look, so i wont have anything else resembling carbon fiber in my car. But i dont want a chrome, blue, red, silver top for my shifter. I hate shiney objects :D

So how do you think it will look? It might be a good accent for my car even though i dont have any other carbon fiber in my car, and never will.

well im rambling :nana:

so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
884 Posts

Just a quick image link here. Not sure if everyone can see it.

This is the MOMO shifter that im thinking about getting for my ATX.

Question is.. do you think this will look nice in my car? Im not a big fan of the carbon fiber look, so i wont have anything else resembling carbon fiber in my car. But i dont want a chrome, blue, red, silver top for my shifter. I hate shiney objects :D

So how do you think it will look? It might be a good accent for my car even though i dont have any other carbon fiber in my car, and never will.

well im rambling :nana:

so what do you guys think?
[/b]
That's the one I almost bought, but I found one I liked better...I have CF in my interior though. It will look nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
spiky3480
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing