Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm working off of sigma's write up

I didn't get very far before I hitting a snag

The cup holder is attached to the shift-gate area by two clips. They may or may not come free when you remove the cupholder. If they do not, the part of the clip you need to press to free it, is the side facing towards the engine. Pressing with one hand while lifting the cupholder will allow it to come free.[/b]
I've been pressing against everything I can touch under there and the damn thing still won't come off. Sigma's diy was based off a MTX. Is it any different for ATX? thanks

edit: WOOOo. Got the mp3 hu installed!

·
Registered
81 Posts
i just had mine out last night. i wanted to move my ipod connector from my glovebox, into the armrest.

pull your ebrake up, then open the cup holder up. reach behind the cover and pull up until it loosens. then pull up one the drivers side and it will pop right off. it does seem to get caught under the shift panel alittle. i just pushed forward then pulled back and it popped right out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the cup holder portion out, but I'm trying to get the cup holder off the shift gate part. Are you saying that we don't have any tabs right there and I should just wiggle it around until it pops out?

I'm sweating like crazy in here trying to get it off. :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine actually has never released from that point. I don't find it necessary to separate those two panels. I just pull the entire thing off in one piece. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
there is a tab there. but mine just popped right off after pushing forward, then pulling back and lifting up. ive got an '05 but i believe its got the same setup there as yours?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a tab there. but mine just popped right off after pushing forward, then pulling back and lifting up. ive got an '05 but i believe its got the same setup there as yours?
[/b]

ahhh thanks. success! A tap here, a POUND there, and the thing finally came off. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
In the neighborhood of the red circle ... there is a tab that pushes toward the cup holders and then the cup holder portion lifts up out of the silver piece. I just did this about 2 hours ago.

[attachmentid=15622]

there is one on each side

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the neighborhood of the red circle ... there is a tab that pushes toward the cup holders and then the cup holder portion lifts up out of the silver piece. I just did this about 2 hours ago.

[attachmentid=15622]

there is one on each side
[/b]
I see that in those pics the cupholders have a vertical cover that probably slides into place. that isn't there for my car I have a 06. Is the console removal any different from the 06??

·
Registered
195 Posts
I see that in those pics the cupholders have a vertical cover that probably slides into place. that isn't there for my car I have a 06. Is the console removal any different from the 06??
[/b]
i don't think the 06 would be all that much differet from my 05, which was slightly different that then directions i used to take the dash apart. I posted some additional notes on my 05 atx under the speed6 ipod install thread

·
Registered
178 Posts
holy thread revival :laugh:

but i am downstairs and having the same problem, i have pulled, pushed, wiggled, pressed etc and nothing, i am getting aggrevated :irate: , please help.... passenger side just not moving...[/b]
as you should know, there are tabs, and you have to (if you are sitting int he passenger seat facing forward) pull back in the middle portion of the larger tab (theres a tiny tab inbedded in a larger tab) the drivers side is EASY to push the tab in, but it always takes me a long time to get the passenger tab off because the tab is a bit "beefier" and requires quite a bit of pressure to release... my advice, press harder!! take a look at the drivers side tab to see what its like, the passenger side is identical, just needs more pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts