Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched long and hard to find instructions on how to change the atx fluid in the 6-speed auto. I couldn't find anything more than "take it to the dealer." So I went in blind today and did it. The information I really wanted was to identify the transmission oil cooler feed and return lines. I couldn't find it on this or any other forums. (It's not my car and I have very little experience on these)

Well, I disconnected the easiest line to get to and attached a clear hose to the metal side and pulled the rubber hose down and had a helper turn on the car. Turns out I pulled the return side. The return hose enters the transmission below the feed line. The return hose is the higher of the two rubber hoses when you're looking at them from under the front bumper. Had I known this, I probably would have pulled the other hose and done the transmission drain/refill 2 qts at a time like I did. Everything went as planned and the transmission shifts much smoother. It was extremely simple and only took about 20 minutes to do the drain/refill with a helper turning the motor on and off. Hopefully this helps someone out.

Also, just to reiterate this, I used the Mobil JWS3309 fluid, also known as T-IV, or Mobil 3309 used in AISIN transmissions. The transmission in question is the AISIN 6-speed and it's on a 2005 Mazda6s with a 3.0L V6.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Were you able to drain ALL the fluid out at once? I know alot of people here just remove the tranny train plug which allows you to get about 4 qts. or so at a time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the return line, pumped out 2 quarts and added 2 fresh quarts at a time until the fluid was coming out red. I used 10 quarts of new fluid in doing this but of course not all of that is in th transmission as I probably pumped out some new fluid at the end. The only fluid that this doesn't get is the fluid in the torque converter. It's nice and red now though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Were you able to drain ALL the fluid out at once? I know alot of people here just remove the tranny train plug which allows you to get about 4 qts. or so at a time.
That's what I do. Easy and no mess, even if you have to do it yearly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an 04 V6 Auto and did a drain & refill today. The 04 has a nice 24mm drain plug on the bottom of the pan. I got about 2.5 qt out of it that way and refilled with about 3.5 qts till it was full, so essentially I was about a qt low. Used some Valvoline Multi-Vehicle ATX fluid in it, seems to be working just fine. I do still have a bump every so often between 2nd & 3rd. Generalli it'll occur when I'm cruising in 5th and brake down to 30 mph or so then hit the gas again it'll start off in second and then I feel a bump when it goes into 3rd. Happens about once a week or every 400 miles or so.

Here's a couple pix I too showing the drain plug . First pic of the plug itself and the second pic is of the overall area giving you a sense of where it is in relation to the oil pan drain plug(the blue colored plug in the pic)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Every 20K miles I do 2 drain and fills about an oil change apart. Works great for me and is sooooo easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Donuts, do you have pictures? my car just reach 50K and I think I need to change the atx oil as well and just like you I can't find any instructions. Also I have an 06.. do you know if it uses the same oil as the 05? if not what do I use?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I used to do it the hard way. I swore I would never shortcut on it.

But then I went to a Mercedes Benz dealer to show the tech how the breathalyzer I installed on an E-class worked. Right next to us another technician is doing a transmission service on a CLK....with an extractor.

Now I know what that tube with MB WORKSHOP ONLY at the back of the engine compartment is for because there is no dipstick in there.

I figured well, that guy has access to a lift and he's doing it that way. I think it'll be okay for me too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello there ! i am from bangladesh and i have a 2003 mazda atenza 2.3L ... now i am not a mazda geek and this car itself is quite new and garage boys dont really know that much about it.

i have changed my atx fluid once but now i know i took out only those 4 quarts ! !

i read several atricles here but still i am not clear about taking out all of the old fluids.

can any one upload a video on how to do it ? so that i can show it to technicians here?

if no video then step by instructions with photos?

please help !

and many thanks in advance !

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts