Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds like a stupid question, and I think I know the answer, but I'll ask the mega-brains here just in case.

I have 55K miles on my 6S ATX. No tranny fluid change and so far, no problems. No noticeable heating of the tranny, no shift problems. Runs beautifully. But I know that fluid needs changed out soon.

However, a guy from Autozone that I know told me that if you go past about 30K miles without a tranny fluid change, DO NOT change it. He claims (and I think he's full of it) that changing it at that point stirs up too much debris and can actually CAUSE problems that wouldn't have existed had things not been "stirred up."

To me, that makes no sense. That stuff should be flushed, assuming the machine is clean. Does anyone else buy that story, or is this guy talking out his bungholio?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the Autozone guys needs to put the bong down before answering questions...

I can think of two BIG reasons to change the tranny fluid.
(1) Over time, it picks up debris/junk as the tranny wears. This gets abbrasive and further increases wear.
(2) After repeated heat cycles, the fluid breaks down and looses it viscous properties (i.e it's no longer as good a lubricant as it used to be).

It needs to be changed so the tranny has proper, clean lubrication.

The thing I don't like, is that Mazda doesn't specify a change interval. My dealer told me it "was at the owner's discretion". Every other car I have owned has a specific interval for stuff like this. I wonder why Mazda doesn't have one for the 5AT...

Any 2006 6-speed AT owners - is there a specified fluid interval change for ya'll?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the Autozone guys needs to put the bong down before answering questions...

I can think of two BIG reasons to change the tranny fluid.
(1) Over time, it picks up debris/junk as the tranny wears. This gets abbrasive and further increases wear.
(2) After repeated heat cycles, the fluid breaks down and looses it viscous properties (i.e it's no longer as good a lubricant as it used to be).

It needs to be changed so the tranny has proper, clean lubrication.

The thing I don't like, is that Mazda doesn't specify a change interval. My dealer told me it "was at the owner's discretion". Every other car I have owned has a specific interval for stuff like this. I wonder why Mazda doesn't have one for the 5AT...

Any 2006 6-speed AT owners - is there a specified fluid interval change for ya'll?
[/b]
Hey, by not specifying, Mazda's screwing themselves because they can't say that we didn't meet manufacturer's timelines if something happens to the ATX. And we can say, "Hey, they never told me when to change it!"

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^^Yeah - sounds weird, eh? I posted this a while ago, but...

Me: "So, if I drive the crap out of this thing for the full 100,000 km warantee, never change the fluid, and the tranny burns up, Mazda will replace it?"

Dealer: "They should".

:sarc:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Mazda recommends 100k interval for fluid replacement. Most places suggest between 30-60k miles. A flush from a dealership will run $150 at least. I would recommend it for you at this point since your car is fresh out of warranty and if you plan on keeping it for a long haul its a good thing to do. I think it highly depends on your driving style and if your doing a lot of stop and go vs hwy driving. I had my fluid flushed at 20k and it was dirty brown... but then again I do all traffic which takes a beating on my poor poor tranny :(

If your worried about debris.... install an inline tranny filter to help insure it catches any.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drive probably 90% highway speeds, but I do drive hard. I use the manumatic mode most of the time, downshifting instead of braking, and I tend to accelerate quicly instead of gradually.

We'll budget the money in and get it done probably in May.

Oh, and I have the extended warranty, so I'm covered until 72K miles. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I drive probably 90% highway speeds, but I do drive hard. I use the manumatic mode most of the time, downshifting instead of braking, and I tend to accelerate quicly instead of gradually.

We'll budget the money in and get it done probably in May.

Oh, and I have the extended warranty, so I'm covered until 72K miles. :)
[/b]
Your poor poor tranny... power braking w/ an ATX. O the HORRORS :tear: jk

GO check your fluid see how dirty it is. Install a cooler while your at it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
mazda doesn't specify when to change the atx tranny because it really varies depending on the conditions and the driver
some driver may need it at 30k and some at 150k
ur mazda dealer should be inspecting the tranny fluid during every oil change, that's how ur supposed to know

the mazda dealer also uses the right equipment for the car that will be able to flush ALL of the fluid, unless u have the pump, i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself

I had mine flushed and replaced at 160,000 km

·
Registered
680 Posts
There are plenty of reasons in this forum for good ATX maintenance. Change the fluid! A flush is unnecessary if you regularly drain & fill the pan. If you change your own oil, you can change drain/fill you tranny at the same time. Like Vroomzoom said, every other oil change should be plenty. It's a crucial move, no matter how you drive you car.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOOT! Bob Penkhus Mazda just made an ATX flush possible for me. They sent a coupon today for an ATX flush of the tranny, cooler, and valvebody, up to 16 quarts of fluid, linkage inspection, and road test (of course lol) for $89! Good until June 1st.

Weeeeee!

Also in the coupon book:

Oil change for $16.95
Alingment $49.95
15% off accessories

And a few other things.

Great timing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hate to agree with the Autozone guy, but in some respects he is right. However I don't think it tends to affect us Mazda6 owners because we don't have to worry about it yet. I think changing the transmission fluid can be dangerous on higher mileage older cars. Like say 6 to 7 years or older. If the fluid has never been changed in say over 80k then it could very well be dangerous.

For example, I helped a friend change the fluid/filter in a 93 SHO with 130k. As far as we know, the fluid had never been changed. Once changed the car shifted into reverse fine, then the tranny wouldn't respond at all. No drive, not reserve, nothing. It was completely dead. A complete rebuild was required. Maybe a fluke, but I think it happens quite a bit on the older cars that haven't been taken care of.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Working in fleet maintenance where we take thousands of repair calls a day, if it's like 5yrs old with 70K or more on the odo, don't take the chance of flushing. Now slowly incorporating new fluid over a period of time may work....hrmmm

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a trannyflush on my previous car (1996 chrysler cirrus) after 60,000 miles on the original fluid. 2000 miles later the tranny siezed and died.

Coincidence? Shitty Chrysler tranny? Perhaps, but I'm sticking witch a drain/refill on the 6, starting at a complete change at 35,000 miles (3 drains/refills in about 2 weeks) and then another drain/refill every 6000-7000 miles.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Failure to properly maintain the ATX fluid results in various buildup, varnish, and other particulate matter that can slowly build up in the various passages of the system.

If you power flush the system, the detergents in the fresh fluid will loosen this material and cause it to float in medium, sometimes as large chunks.

This wouldn't be so bad, as automatic transmissions have filters...but if you never replaced the filter in 60k miles, its not going to be able to absorb and filter out this new enemy. Obiviously all this floating matter can clog various parts of the VB and can eventually cause a full failure.

Generally if you've never cleaned the transmission ever (especially the 5 spd overheating jatco's), its probably a good idea to have the filter replaced and the pan cleaned at the same time as a power flush.

Or you could just do every other oil change drain/refills to provide for a continuous replenishment of the additives in your ATX fluid, which will prevent the buildup from ever occuring in the first place.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Yeah I will be doing a flush once I install my tranny cooler.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LMFAO!! I am such a freakin moron. I DID get the flush and refill at 30K miles. I even posted it on these forums!! It was the COOLANT flush I didn't do.

Of course, I'm at 55K now...so I'm due for another...I consulted the spreadsheet I keep on maintenance, and sure enough -- I was right when I posted. I flushed her at 30K miles.

OMG. Memory's the first thing to go, but you forget about the second so it doesn't matter. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
One of my old neighbors is an engineer at Ford. He was very adiment about NEVER changing the trans fluid. He said if the vehicle is shifting fine, and the level is ok, don't touch it cause transmissions are highly sensitive. Disrupting anything in them can cause major problems. However, it does seem a little odd to me that changing the trans fluid should NEVER be done. At some point the fluid is going to get so dirty, you're probably better off changing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
VroomZoom6MZR
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing