Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the spec’s of some sedans, and found the Altima rather impressive…
The 4 cylinder was rated at .82G’s on the skidpad, with the V6 at .85! All other sedans I was able to find stats on were below .80.

Which means, the Altima does seem to have impressive numbers for a sedan, and damn impressive numbers for a $25,000 sedan!

I know numbers aren’t everything, but I have found the skidpad stats to be reasonable basis. So, can the ‘6 defend itself against the Altima in handling?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Attack of the Altima'

The skidpad number are very dependent on the tire patch. If the vehicle comes standard with very wide and low profile tires then it should hold on much better than narrow and high profile tires.

Supension geometry is important as well but overal shock and spring selection will result in less body roll that can assist in the skidpad.

I don't think you should rely too much on skidpad number for real life performance.

I race 1/10 Radio control 2.11cc nitromethanol engine cars and have learn much about suspension setup for best handling.

I find that tire selection is probably the most important for a car handling performance. Mind you I don't know how I would feel like in the car while running it but handling wise, tire compound is most important.

You then can later final adjustment of suspension geometry and weight distribution.

The M6 should have good handling from what I read. Stabilizer bar all around should help on the body roll and plant the tires to the ground much better. I love the front independent double wishbone. I believe this setup is the best to have especially on the front where the tire contact plays the most important role. The only suspension design I see that looks kind of iffy is the rear E-type multilink. This design look almost the same as Honda earlier setup. It is improved to helps with anti-dive a bit but lack the pure racing suspension. It is more refine but lose some performance.

Compared to the Altima, I think the M6 would handle much better. Number wise, I can't predict but given the same tires, it should match or better it.

My 2 cent worth

Hiep

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

According to a magazine her in Sweden, Teknikens Värld, the 6' can handle the Elk Test (evasive manouver) in 72km/h or something like that.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

According to a magazine her in Sweden, Teknikens Värld, the 6' can handle the Elk Test (evasive manouver) in 72km/h or something like that.[/b]
But what if the 6 does the 'Eland-test' (dutch) in a higher speed? I suppose it won't end on it's roof, like the A-class Benz.. ;)?

Coen

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

According to a magazine her in Sweden, Teknikens Värld, the 6' can handle the Elk Test (evasive manouver) in 72km/h or something like that.[/b]
But what if the 6 does the 'Eland-test' (dutch) in a higher speed? I suppose it won't end on it's roof, like the A-class Benz.. ;)?

Coen[/b][/quote]

No, what happens then is that the DSC steps in and helps avoiding a disaster.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Coen[/b][/quote]

No, what happens then is that the DSC steps in and helps avoiding a disaster.[/b][/quote]

Allright then :). But what if your car doesn't have this system (like ours) or when you've turned it off (if possible)? I assume the car will get into a slip then?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Coen[/b][/quote]

No, what happens then is that the DSC steps in and helps avoiding a disaster.[/b][/quote]

Allright then :). But what if your car doesn't have this system (like ours) or when you've turned it off (if possible)? I assume the car will get into a slip then?[/b][/quote]

The very stiff construction will prevent the car from turning upside-down. But the rear end will try to pass the front end...:sarc

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

You boys are silly. :p By the way I think the Altima can only get those skidpad numbers turning in one direction because the massive torque steer pulls it into the turn. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts

Since everybody here on this forum is talking about the stunning Nissan Altima (why is this forum still called 'Mazda Atenza Forum'??) and especially about it's dash, I would like to see some pics. Yeah, I know it; I'm too lazy to search some myself.. guess it's friday..

Coen

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Since everybody here on this forum is talking about the stunning Nissan Altima (why is this forum still called 'Mazda Atenza Forum'??)  

Coen[/b]
The purpose of this thread was to not only get data on the Altima, but to try and get comparisons of it with the '6.

I'm too busy in work to dig up pictures, but be prepared for a disappointing dash.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

The purpose of this thread was to not only get data on the Altima, but to try and get comparisons of it with the '6.  

I'm too busy in work to dig up pictures, but be prepared for a disappointing dash.[/b]
Disappointing?? Now I've completely lost it.. Pic's plse!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

I'm too busy in work to dig up pictures, but be prepared for a disappointing dash.[/b]
Disappointing?? Now I've completely lost it.. Pic's plse!![/b][/quote]

Maybe he means something like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts