Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listed at $325, is this pipe worth the money? Seems like alot of money, and there's no dyno numbers or anything

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm pretty sure our turbo inlet is much smaller than 3", so I don't belive that pipe would fit. Besides, our pipe is just fine, there really are not that many bends/restrictions to the stock inlet.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It's a waste of time and money.

For $300 or so get the CP-E.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's a waste of time and money.

For $300 or so get the CP-E.[/b]
I think you are thinking of the CAI, but I thought greg was talking about the actual inlet pipe that goes all the way to the inlet of the turbo. Nobody else has a pipe that goes all the way to the turbo except ATP.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm pretty sure our turbo inlet is much smaller than 3", so I don't belive that pipe would fit. Besides, our pipe is just fine, there really are not that many bends/restrictions to the stock inlet.[/b]
Have you looked at the stock inlet pipe???? You go from a nice 3" intake into a 2" plastic pipe that gets distorted until it's about 1" wide and 3" tallthen it's crimped down further to make room for a wire harness, then another reduction with a slight turn, then an almost 90 deg turn in to the actual turbo. That crap would have to hurt the flow.

All that being said, the ATP pipe is still WAY overpriced in my opinion, if it was a cast piece, or 1 mandrel bent piece from start to finish I'd think about it, but any shop out there with a welder and a preformed U bend could make that pipe for less than $50 in materials, and about 1~2 hours if they took their time.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think you are thinking of the CAI, but I thought greg was talking about the actual inlet pipe that goes all the way to the inlet of the turbo. Nobody else has a pipe that goes all the way to the turbo except ATP.[/b]

Going all the way to the turbo inlet isn't much of an improvement in this case.

I have a CP-E CAI on my car, and the ATP intake in my garage.

The ATP intake will probably never get on my car. I'm restraining myself from calling it junk, but well...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong but the ATP inlet replaces the pipe from the turbo all the way to the stock air box so essentially, it replaces "some" piping that all conventional CAI's replace with an extra benefit of smoother pipe at the turbo inlet.
They also sell a kit to replace the factory air box with an open element air filter is desired. It is the most expensive short ram set up available.
I agree with pricing though....it's a tad overdone.

I would think thet there is a group of people out there that would buy an improved inlet if designed and priced correctly. One that starts at the turbo inlet and matches up to the point where all of the other regular CAI's begin.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The ATP pipe is one of a kind and there is none like it.Well designed and comes with the MAF housing. You can boltit up to a SRI, custom SRI, or your CAI.

There WILL be an improvement over stock HP, no doubt there. It is available in both stock and 3" inlet sizes for Garrett or stock turbos.

I agree, overpriced. But again,the option is there and is the ONLY option. I am thinking about it, but chose to get an intercooler upgrade instead, followed by a new engine mount (still deciding which one).

Again, going from the 1", curved, plastic OEM inlet pipe to a 3" pipe is no doubt a huge step forward. Try to get some pics from Mike and his ATP Turbo Kit on his Speed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Having seen the stock piece, the part that actually hooks to the turbo, it's truly a POS. I think anyone that thinks just adding a CEL is nice has not seen the stock turbo inlet?

I said it before, and I can say it again......it's not only the size, you truly must see the stock unit to understand.

Secondly, if someone has a problem with the price, there are CAIs out there that are costing around the same, and it's nothing more than a pipe on the end of the crappy stock inlet, with an air filter on it?

Now if ATPs piece fits bad, that's one thing......but considering what you get with it, compared to other kits that simply have created a pipe on the end of the stock unit.........

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
understandable, but unless there are some dyno numbers, it just seems a little hard to justify 325 bucks, when for another 100 you can buy a DP or almost buy an intercooler...there has to be a dollar to horsepower ratio to invest in this product

·
Registered
692 Posts
If it was CF or fiberglass I would be all over it, but, I can all but guarantee fitment is going to be a pain.

Not only that, but, you cannot tell me they NEEDED to make it 3 inches?!?! That seems a bit rediculous even for the some of the bigger turbos.

For 300+ I figured it was CF, esp. considering the placement and fitment required which would allow some change in shape without hours and hours of welding.

All in all there has gotta be a way to make this cost a bit less. Just seems a bit extreme, but, considering the amount of bending/crushing/welding etc etc required I can see why it costs what it does.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just a little observation of mine from ATP's website:

"Our replacement piece which was built to handle the flow requirements of the big Garrett turbo upgrade, is built out of 3" stainless material, formed with smooth transitions and then TIG welded to achieve a more desirable flowpath and accomdates much more volume."

This line from the product description leads me to believe that this piece is actually made of stainless and not plastic like everyone assumes. Plus the pic also shows that this pipe will not fit any CAI as you would have the cut part of it off to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just a little observation of mine from ATP's website:

"Our replacement piece which was built to handle the flow requirements of the big Garrett turbo upgrade, is built out of 3" stainless material, formed with smooth transitions and then TIG welded to achieve a more desirable flowpath and accomdates much more volume."

This line from the product description leads me to believe that this piece is actually made of stainless and not plastic like everyone assumes. Plus the pic also shows that this pipe will not fit any CAI as you would have the cut part of it off to make it fit.[/b]
I have this piece sitting in my closet. It is not plastic, it is made from steel.

It is made to either bolt to the existing airbox(what I plan to do), or add the denso MAF holder and attach the filter to it, pretty much making it a SRI.

Or....you could attach another 3 inch pipe to it and extend it into the fender well, Like 4DRHTRD did.

I could be wrong, but I still don't think CAIs add much of an improvement in stock form? Probably cause of that inlet piece still being there. So with CAIs currently available, you're just paying several hundered bucks to add a pipe on the end of that stock inlet. I'm probably biased because I've actually had the stock inlet in my hand and seen how crappy it looks.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I just think if the ATP piece isn't worht anything.....than all of the other CAIs out there should be even more worthless....

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have this piece sitting in my closet. It is not plastic, it is made from steel.[/b]
Ouch, man, that thing has to be absolute hell to fab up... In that case, 325 isn't bad at ALL!

Its on the no-pressure side, why is stainless even needed? Can someone please elaborate that to me? Stainless easily doubles the cost because when you have to work it by bending/crushing, it work hardens and becomes very difficult to deal with which definitely raises the price.

·
Registered
820 Posts
you guys are bashing a product that you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, no one else offers this part but ATP, second this is for their turbo upgrade kit, they aren't marketing it for a stock car, just offering it for people that want to buy the turbo kit in stages. The pipe is this large because it matches the inlet diameter of their turbo upgrade, again this is made to optimize the ENTIRE inlet tract. what is the point of a 3" intake if it still necks down to <2" before the turbo... bashing a product for no reason is definitely not the way to get vendors interested in this car.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ouch, man, that thing has to be absolute hell to fab up... In that case, 325 isn't bad at ALL!

Its on the no-pressure side, why is stainless even needed? Can someone please elaborate that to me? Stainless easily doubles the cost because when you have to work it by bending/crushing, it work hardens and becomes very difficult to deal with which definitely raises the price.[/b]

If you look at the piece, it's not simply a 3 inch rounded tube that one could bend with a large pipe bender. It's actually curved in a manner similiar to the stock plastic piece. This must be so that it would fit in the tight area between the battery tray and the other wiring and such. If you look down in the area, you will see what I mean.

The pipe that attaches to the turbo is actually a bent and crushed piece to make it slimmer. Then welded to another section or two. THen there are pipes welded into it for the recirc function, the vent tube, and a pressure source for the WGA solenoid.

They proabbly went this route because it would be super expensive to have the sort of injection molded tooling created to make it from plastic. They would probably never recoupe the costs, unless they jacked up the price......and I'm sure they knew the aftermarket was more interested in the pipe with the filter, that we call a CAI?

This is probably time consuming to make, and as of now, no other manufacturer has spent the time or money to create such a piece. I can understand, I'd probably do so as well, I know there is a huge aftermarket that will pay top dollar for a piece of pipe to stick on the end of the crappy stock inlet and screw an open filter on it(me included :)

All that being said, I don't know how well it fits, I would try it on the stock vehicle, but I don't have a reducer to mount it to the stock K04, only the adapter for the GT30.

So if fitment is an issue, than it's not worth it. If it slows velocity down enough on the stock turbo, same deal. But I doubt that would be the case?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If it was CF or fiberglass I would be all over it, but, I can all but guarantee fitment is going to be a pain.

Not only that, but, you cannot tell me they NEEDED to make it 3 inches?!?! That seems a bit rediculous even for the some of the bigger turbos.[/b]
Could be, but the GT3071R has a 4inch inlet pipe on it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Why didn't you order it with an adapter for the stock turbo? That is an option I believe? I am really interested to hear some impressions on this piece.

I didn't really know about the difference between this and a CAI but now I understand. Knowing this, why would anyone want a CAI when all it does is bottleneck to the stock inlet?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Because a CAI draws in colder air.

I wish they offered this as a CAI as an option.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would trade my AEM for the ATP turbo inlet and short ram intake any day...

Getting the ATP inlet pipe and mate it to your current CAI would be ideal no matter if you are sporting stock or an upgraded turbo. Just expensive...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts