Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I have searched and done my home work.
ATF M-V is not Mercon V per Mazda Bulletin (see attached file).

What is everyone using as an alternative ATF fluid?

?Redline D4ATF
?Mobil 1 ATF
? Other brands

Any long-term results?

-------
cn90
2007 Mazda6 4-cylinder Auto 40K miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (cn90 @ Dec 30 2008, 10:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496732
OK,

I have searched and done my home work.
ATF M-V is not Mercon V per Mazda Bulletin (see attached file).

What is everyone using as an alternative ATF fluid?

?Redline D4ATF
?Mobil 1 ATF
? Other brands

Any long-term results?

-------
cn90
2007 Mazda6 4-cylinder Auto 40K miles[/b]

Whomever wrote that PDF is on glue.

Page one says ATF M-V (Type M5) is not the same as Mercon® V

Page two specifies REQUIRED SERVICE FLUID: ATF M-V (Type M5)

awesome.

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So much for shift quality complaints when not using TypeM5 fluid :rolleyes:

I have Mercon V and it seems to have less shift shock then before I swapped the fluid.Maybe the thicker viscosity is what causes that.
Im gonna get a bottle of Lubeguard and put it in ,maybe 2. Ill let yall know if it helps any.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (Mazda6007 @ Dec 30 2008, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496775
So much for shift quality complaints when not using TypeM5 fluid :rolleyes:

I have Mercon V and it seems to have less shift shock then before I swapped the fluid.Maybe the thicker viscosity is what causes that.
Im gonna get a bottle of Lubeguard and put it in ,maybe 2. Ill let yall know if it helps any.[/b]
I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid that meets both Mercon V and Toyota T-IV standards.

I don't have any shift shock issues. Once in awhile when cornering aggressively it will select a much lower gear and lurch a little bit (from like 5th or 6th to 2nd or 3rd) but I drove a CPO Lexus ES330 and it was MUCH worse so I don't really worry about it.

Lubegard is highly regarded stuff. I've never heard anybody complain about it's performance except for those that expect a "repair in a bottle" and nothing was going to make them happy anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used Valvoline synthetic Mercon V ( after the local Mazda dealer told me thats what they used) i have had it in for the last 15-20 thousand miles and the trans still shifts fine.

·
Registered
919 Posts
QUOTE (Spazdog @ Dec 30 2008, 01:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496797
Lubegard is highly regarded stuff. I've never heard anybody complain about it's performance except for those that expect a "repair in a bottle" and nothing was going to make them happy anyway.[/b]

I've put Lubeguard in my ATX, along with a cooler and several drain-refills using Redline D4, have made my trans. shift pretty smooth. ( And i have the Jatco)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
QUOTE (Ericzoom @ Jan 31 2009, 05:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1512400
I've put Lubeguard in my ATX, along with a cooler and several drain-refills using Redline D4, have made my trans. shift pretty smooth. ( And i have the Jatco)[/b]
I've had the Mercon V Lubegard in for a few weeks now,and can say that it does "feel" different. As advertised it helps with TQ converter lock-up shudder. I used to get slight shudder in 4th around 2K rpm.Now it's pretty much non-existent.
Shift shock is alot better,but I still get it. Though not as bad ,but mainly on colder days. But you can't really expect a fluid to fix shitty transmission shift programming.....

The tranny does feel like it puts down slightly more of the power to the ground. Which it does say on the package helps to reduce clutch slippage.
If nothing else, if it extends fluid and transmission life like it says .I'd say it's well worth the $16 I paid for it.

I would recommend Lubegard to anyone from my experience thus far.

want more info,hit up : www.Lubegard.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (jiminEcricket @ Jan 31 2009, 10:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1512332
I used Valvoline synthetic Mercon V ( after the local Mazda dealer told me thats what they used) i have had it in for the last 15-20 thousand miles and the trans still shifts fine.[/b]
Couple things:

1. I noticed that Valvoline Synthetic Mercon V is red (I think they added the red dye to the ATF).
Can you mix Valvoline Synthetic Mercon V with existing factory Mazda MV without problems?

2. Also anyone can point me to a DIY to disconnect cooler line for a complete ATF Flush?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
in my opinion, i think its a long delayed post to have a sticky post on alternative M-V ATF fluid recommendations.
i feel mazda's M-V fluid isn't really good stuff as it degrades fast, and the colour turns brownish-black very easily.

please think about it.

cheers!

·
Registered
52 Posts
okay, it means so far, theres the below listed are manufacturer compatible and able to replaces mazda M-V ATF:
*this list is meant for vehicles equipped with the JATCO 5 speed, and factory filled with M-V fluid*

AMSOIL synthetic ATF

Schaeffer’s #204 SAT ALL-TRANS

MOBIL 1 synthetic multi-vehicle ATF

MOBIL 1 synthetic ATF

if theres more brands of ATF that is suitable for replacement of mazda M-V, please add on!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Royal Purple does not list Mazda M-V under their compatibility. Redline does not list Mazda M-V either.

Amsoil
Mobil1
Schaeffers
Valvoline Maxlife
Those are the only ones who list Mazda M-V compatibility on their sites and product sheets that I have found.

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (badtlc @ Aug 15 2009, 03:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591811
Royal Purple does not list Mazda M-V under their compatibility. Redline does not list Mazda M-V either.

Amsoil
Mobil1
Schaeffers
Valvoline Maxlife
Those are the only ones who list Mazda M-V compatibility on their sites and product sheets that I have found.[/b]

oh, yea, i may be wrong. about those 2, cos when i searched the forum to compile, i may have overlooked that theres 2 models of mazda 6 in the states, the 'i' and the 's' right? both running different gearboxes, a 5 speed and the later a 6?

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (badtlc @ Aug 15 2009, 03:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591811

Amsoil
Mobil1
Schaeffers
Valvoline Maxlife
Those are the only ones who list Mazda M-V compatibility on their sites and product sheets that I have found.[/b]
is this the valvoline ATF you're referring to?

MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF

if i'm not mistaken, i believe quite a number in this forum has used redline D4 on their 5speed, and it has no issues. redline detailed product info depicts that their D4 is suitable for use in replacement of mercon V fluid.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (nikrome_wire @ Aug 14 2009, 11:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591956
... i may have overlooked that theres 2 models of mazda 6 in the states, the 'i' and the 's' right? both running different gearboxes, a 5 speed and the later a 6?[/b]
The 6i is the 2.3L 4cyl model; the 6s is the 3.0L V6.

Both models were available with a 5-speed manual or an ATX. Depending on the model year, the 6i auto was 4 or 5 speed; the 6s auto was 5 or 6 speed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (jd42 @ Aug 15 2009, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591964
The 6i is the 2.3L 4cyl model; the 6s is the 3.0L V6.

Both models were available with a 5-speed manual or an ATX. Depending on the model year, the 6i auto was 4 or 5 speed; the 6s auto was 5 or 6 speed.[/b]
aah, i see.
pardon my ignorance, cos in singapore, the late model mazda 6 released here has the 2.0l and 2.3l both equipped with the same 5 speed box. early models of the 2.0l had 4 speed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
QUOTE (nikrome_wire @ Aug 14 2009, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591961

if i'm not mistaken, i believe quite a number in this forum has used redline D4 on their 5speed, and it has no issues. redline detailed product info depicts that their D4 is suitable for use in replacement of mercon V fluid.[/b]
Ugh, again, Mazda M-V is NOT MerconV. It is Mazda5, Mazda-V or M-V spec. It is its own specification. The FNR5 5spd ATX found in the 2006+ 6i DOES NOT USE MERCONV. Even when the FNR5 is used in Fords, it does not allow the use of MerconV. There is a TSB from Mazda specifically addressing this issue because they are not compatible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (badtlc @ Aug 17 2009, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1592477
Ugh, again, Mazda M-V is NOT MerconV. It is Mazda5, Mazda-V or M-V spec. It is its own specification. The FNR5 5spd ATX found in the 2006+ 6i DOES NOT USE MERCONV. Even when the FNR5 is used in Fords, it does not allow the use of MerconV. There is a TSB from Mazda specifically addressing this issue because they are not compatible.[/b]
okay, so does redline D4 replace mazda M-V fluid?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts