Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I flushed my transmission fluid the day before yesterday. When I took the pan off I discovered that two or three of the bolts had completely stripped threads. These were on the hard to reach side (drivers side). Well I got everything finished and put on the liquid gasket stuff and tightened everything up. Well now I have discovered a leak in the pan. How did it not leak before but it does now? Help me fix this!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You have a 6i right? If so it'll be a real bitch just due to the lack of space. If so the only real fixes would be to tap to the next size or use a helicoil insert. GL

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's possible they weren't stripped from over-tightening, but that the bolt was seized into the threads and you then pulled them out. That would explain how it was tight & not leaking before, but is leaking now.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya 6i. well the good news is that one of them is where you can see the edge of the pan so a nut could just be welded to the top and just liquid gasket the crap out of that bolt. But the others are where they go straight into it.

ya I am sure they were, when I took them out there were flakes of metal that came out and the threads didn't look right.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Tapping them wont be hard or expensive.Its the fact youd probably have to drop the subframe that complicates things.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ugh well they are going to have to drop the subframe. cost is going to be anywhere from $300-400. everytime I inspect something closely on this car its either already broken or I fuck it up somehow. Time sell for a profit and get a 2005 evo vii for 5 grand more....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts