Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Mazda 6 Touring AT---I replaced about 3.25qts today and noticed the old ATF had a red tint, not the typical blue. I refilled with the FZ blue Mazda fluid. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. If you want to do two or three more drain-and-fill procedures (assuming you drained and refilled just one time), that will replace most of the fluid and it’ll have something of the bluish tint you’re expecting. It’ll also mean you have mostly fresh fluid in the tranny.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's strange, maybe the previous owner has already done a drain and fill?

No worries about mixing fluids - as long as your transmission is working fine theres no need to worry. But I wonder how that red fluid got there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the car when it had 13K miles. I'm probably/should be the 1st. Now has 135K.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’ve seen various reports of a seemingly reddish tint to drained ATF from these SkyDrive A/Ts, including from my own. It could be a heat or oxidation byproduct, it could be from contamination (clutch wear debris, for example), or it could be from a number of things.

Either way, worry is not applicable or useful. You changed the fluid, so you’ve freshened thing a up a bit. If you want to do another couple or three drains over the next few hundred (or thousand) miles, you’ll have replaced most of the ATF. Then you can watch and see over the next 75k whether it turns kinda sorta reddish again. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts