Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 Wagon. Didn't want an ashtray. Wanted to add a Qi wireless charger. Picked up the shift bezel from a 2006-2008 with the pocket instead of the ashtray.

Not sure if I'm going to paint it silver and attempt to match the radio, or paint it black to coordinate and avoid needing to match exactly. The silver edges are too tall, don't match, and really needed to go.

What I wasn't expecting was that the bezel doesn't quite line up with the cup holder on the right side. I'd have to grind away quite a bit of material to make it match. Also, the boot hole is smaller on the new version. To make the shaping job easier I cut away the bottom of the bezel to make it match the old boot hole shape. This does mean that I'll have to use the plastic support frame out of the old boot. I'd really like to use the black boot though, which it turns out doesn't quite fit on the newer frame.

Removed the 12v outlet and ground down the lump surrounding it. This will make a more flat area to mount the charger.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After rough shaping and sanding (I'll be filling cracks and holes w/ Bondo later) it's on to working on fitting the charger. I bought this Qi charger on Amazon that was very cheap, supports fast charging, and most importantly is screwed and not glued together. The charger range is too low to work through the bottom of the Shift Bezel, in part because the bezel pocket isn't at all flat. So, I'll have to make the charger fit inside the pocket and add a false bottom to hide the charger.

Charger (square) is too large but the actual electronics in it (rectangle) are much smaller. A little trim job later and it fits fine. Also, the pocket is a perfect fit for my phone.

More to come as I progress. Also, does anyone have a source for an exact spray paint match for the silver paint on the radio bezel (not willing to invest in airbrush for this project)?

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks great man! I'm looking to do something similar to charge my moto 360 smartwatch

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts