Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptom: Sounds like my brakes are scraping or dragging against the disk, as if I have a dropped caliper or something.

This only happens when the car/brake is cold. the sound is usually gone by the time I get a half mile down the road.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's so annoying because it's a new car, and the breaks don't squeak during normal use. Should any car be making any sort of brake noise if the brakes aren't applied?

My laundry list of complaints is growing longer and longer with this car...

·
Registered
659 Posts
How many miles are on the car?

What do your rotors look like before you start driving?

A caliper that's sticking (in my experience) sounds like a repetitive sound, not ongoing. Do you use the P-brake? Does this go away if you 'hit' the brakes just after driving?

How is the stopping distance compared to new? Is the petal responsive?

Where are you located? (what's the climate like?)

-Ernie

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles are on the car?
7000 miles. I've had it since July 09.

What do your rotors look like before you start driving?
they look like they have some surface oxidization (rust). I was told by my dealer this is normal, and usually wiped away soon after driving (which I confirmed)

A caliper that's sticking (in my experience) sounds like a repetitive sound, not ongoing. Do you use the P-brake? Does this go away if you 'hit' the brakes just after driving?
It's definitely not a repetitive sound. I do use the P-brake while at lights because I throw the car into Neutral. I do this because I hate that squealing sound mentioned in this thread about a gasket. No P-brake while parked.

How is the stopping distance compared to new? Is the petal responsive?
I don't notice any degradation in stopping distance. I wouldn't say the stopping distance is poor either.

Where are you located? (what's the climate like?)
Long Island NY. I'm guessing it's similar to CT.

The sound is like if someone is applying very very light brake pressure on squeaky brakes, but not enough to slow the car down or pull the car in any one direction. It's just annoying (and sometimes embarrasing) because my car looks new but sounds like a junker. I can't replicate it at the dealer because by the time i get there the brakes are warm.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Pretty low miles; how long does it sit between driving?

Did you buy this car new back in July?

Humor me here, under the passenger's floormat, flip up the vin-area door and peek around with a flashlight; any rust?

I've never heard of a caliper grabbing (or frozen) that made a noise like this . . . it would either not go away in my experience or make a rhythmic noise.

Sounds to me like you need to (or have someone you trust) look at the brakes. I'm thinking a damaged pad (loose?) could cause this, but it's definitely not normal.

You CAN expect that it makes a faint squeak/grind on first braking, but that's normal rust wearing off, not what you're describing here.

-Ernie

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty low miles; how long does it sit between driving?
I drive it everyday. I would say it sits over night, about 12 hours. I was paying attention to it this morning and it wasn't doing it. It's intermittent, and only audiable when I have the windows down.

Did you buy this car new back in July?
Yes, I have a very short commute :) hence the lower miles.

Humor me here, under the passenger's floormat, flip up the vin-area door and peek around with a flashlight; any rust?
I was aware of the vin tag under the mat from cleaning, but I never looked for any rust. I think I would have noticed if there was rust, but I'll have a look again. Thanks.

I've never heard of a caliper grabbing (or frozen) that made a noise like this . . . it would either not go away in my experience or make a rhythmic noise.

Sounds to me like you need to (or have someone you trust) look at the brakes. I'm thinking a damaged pad (loose?) could cause this, but it's definitely not normal.
I'm starting to think if it's unrelated to the brakes at all. could it be some other bushing or bearing that could be causing this?

You CAN expect that it makes a faint squeak/grind on first braking, but that's normal rust wearing off, not what you're describing here.
Just to confirm, this is definitely not what I'm describing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hrm . . . that's really tough.

See if you can find an "independent authorized mechanic" in your area. Anyone can do brake jobs, but someone not associated with a dealer and familiar with Mazdas will be less likely to feed you a line. They'd also not be afraid to call a dealer out for BS if something is wrong with the car.

I doubt it's a bearing --- I've lost 2 on 2 different vehicles and it's NOT something that intermittently gets better.

Keep us posted; I'm very curious what this could end up being.

-Ernie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts