Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright, so i was driving to my friends house tonight for a party. first time going up his driveway with my new rims and tires. i got 225/45/17 general uhps on stock suspension. anyways, as i was going up his driveway, my lip caught the side of some bricks fencing the landscape. the damage was done, my lip pretty much ate it and fell off and i ran over it.... my smart ass went in reverse and ran over my damn lip again. well, other than my lip having deep scratches and big crease/crack mark in the center the lip looks fixable. my question is how much do you think a dealer would charge me to mount my lip back on because all the screws and mounts and what not pretty much got pulled off and is all over my friends driveway. and for those people that have gotten their lips painted, any estimates on how much that would cost? very very dissappointed, i finally saved enough to buy some springs and now i gotta handle deeply scratched, slightly creased/cracking lip.

:irate: :swearin:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
allright, so i was driving to my friends house tonight for a party. first time going up his driveway with my new rims and tires. i got 225/45/17 general uhps on stock suspension. anyways, as i was going up his driveway, my lip caught the side of some bricks fencing the landscape. the damage was done, my lip pretty much ate it and fell off and i ran over it.... my smart ass went in reverse and ran over my damn lip again. well, other than my lip having deep scratches and big crease/crack mark in the center the lip looks fixable. my question is how much do you think a dealer would charge me to mount my lip back on because all the screws and mounts and what not pretty much got pulled off and is all over my friends driveway. and for those people that have gotten their lips painted, any estimates on how much that would cost? very very dissappointed, i finally saved enough to buy some springs and now i gotta handle deeply scratched, slightly creased/cracking lip.

:irate: :swearin:
[/b]
I assume you are talking about just the front lip not the entire thing front and rear?

It will come painted already. Unless the dealer is going to cover the cost of a new lip. I would first get their price, Then speak with Sabrina and see how much she can get just the piece that fell off and compare the prices. She mighe be able to get it for you for cheaper then your dealer who knows...

I installed the lip kit on my car and it was easy. When you buy the piece it will come with all the hardware like the plugs and crap. Just pop those in yourself in to the holes that are already there.

The front was probably the easiest thing to install and I had to make the holes myself. You shoul dalready have everything predrilled for you so it should just be amatter of re aligning it up and screwing everything in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If there are screws as you have mentioned, would it not be a possibility that the threading was stripped as the lip was forcefully pulled off?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
You gotta take pics of the driveway cuz I'm wondering how you could have missed seeing the bricks. Might as well get a full bumper with that kind of an experience.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i went to my local dealership and bought a brand new lip. the driveway wasnt even that steep, my friend that owns the house also has a six on tanabes nf210s and he doesnt even scrape on his driveway. my angle was all wrong, since there were so many cars on his driveway i tried to squeeze in but misjudged. plus it was dark. ill take a picture of the lip and brick that i hit. im selling my old lip if anyone is interested. i just sold my textbooks and anything else i could sell to help pay for it.

oh yeah, the impact ripped the lip off pretty much. the tabs with holes on the bumper that held onto the lip broke off so i gotta figure out how im gonna mount the new lip. man, im gonna question getting a drop now

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
well i went to my local dealership and bought a brand new lip. the driveway wasnt even that steep, my friend that owns the house also has a six on tanabes nf210s and he doesnt even scrape on his driveway. my angle was all wrong, since there were so many cars on his driveway i tried to squeeze in but misjudged. plus it was dark. ill take a picture of the lip and brick that i hit. im selling my old lip if anyone is interested. i just sold my textbooks and anything else i could sell to help pay for it.

oh yeah, the impact ripped the lip off pretty much. the tabs with holes on the bumper that held onto the lip broke off so i gotta figure out how im gonna mount the new lip. man, im gonna question getting a drop now
[/b]
Well, at least you learned a lesson if nothing else. IMO you should have waited for a full bumper. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about how to get the new lip on. Question the drop? The only question you should be asking is, "When am I going to get it done?" Just gotta be careful. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ugh. We've on our 4th lip on the 6. First one we changed out after about a year and a half, just to cuz it was his first time driving a lowered car, so it got beat to hell. Second one flew off on the freeway, got ran over by the 6, then a semi, and was snapped in two, and took the fender liner with it. Third one went when we hit a bump coming off the freeway. At the bottom of the exit ramp the concrete from the freeway meets the ashpalt, and the ashpault was bubbled up over the concrete, and created a huge bump, that you can't see when going towards it. Hit that, and after the highway speeds for 200 miles, the wind force had pushed the lip down, so it hit, and pulled under the car, and again, was ran over. Now the 4th one is on there. We discovered that the wind pushing the lip down at highway speeds (driving 400+ miles every other weekend will do that), so to keep it from doing that, we got furniture stoppers, and put two of them on the front of the bumper, so that it can freely move up when its hit, but it won't go down far enough to hit the ground and drag under the car. So far, that seems to be working.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, the sound of my lip crunching on bricks and my tires running over it still haunts me. i learned my lesson now though just gotta drive careful. ive driven lowered cars before on his driveway. its just crazy how i was on stock suspension and this happened. i was just too excited since finals were done and me and my friends were having an early xmas party.

as far as getting a new bumper, i absolutely love the way the appearance package lip looks like, i was thinking about getting a different lip or a new bumper, even considered the BR lip, but when it came down to price and preference my mind was set.

Revenant, im not sure what you mean about putting furniture stoppers? im willing to do this method to decrease the chances of my lip coming off again.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'll see if I can get pics of the install process tonight and post them up. I know there are some on my laptop somewhere.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just took a look at my car, and the driver side fender lining was also ripped with the lip. its not that noticeable, but should i go the extra way to have it replaced??

angel120, youre looking at about 700 for the whole kit

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i just took a look at my car, and the driver side fender lining was also ripped with the lip. its not that noticeable, but should i go the extra way to have it replaced??

angel120, youre looking at about 700 for the whole kit [/b]
Something similar happened to me a while back.

I went to my old campus (St John's University), and parked in the parking lot. As it turns out, I parked a little too far, apparently, because when I backed out, half of my bumper was ripped off (my bumper was over the wooden "stoppers" or whatever you want to call them). I lost several screws, and the passenger's side fender lining was dragging. By the time I got home, the fender lining had several holes in it, and obviously needed to be replaced. I put the whole thing back together as well as I could, and ordered a new fender lining. Although it's huge as hell, it came out to about $33, including the clips.
The only good thing I could say about that experience would have to be that I learned how to take off my bumper lol.

anotherM6, where did you get your kit from?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually, i got my kit when i bought the car. it was already installed when i saw it on the dealership lot waiting for me.

$33 for lining!? thats prett damn cheap for a huge piece, whered ya get it at??

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
actually, i got my kit when i bought the car. it was already installed when i saw it on the dealership lot waiting for me.

$33 for lining!? thats prett damn cheap for a huge piece, whered ya get it at?? [/b]
Great Neck Mazda.. which is the nearest full circle service dealership.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh okae cool, so i should be able to pick up one for about the same price at my local dealership.

this time, i will take into consideration that my car is lower than i think. hahha

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
oh okae cool, so i should be able to pick up one for about the same price at my local dealership.

this time, i will take into consideration that my car is lower than i think. hahha [/b]
lol, please do!

Whenever I get my lip kit, I'm gonna have to watch where I go.. Lot's of potholes in Queens..

Please post the price for the fender well, I'm curious to see what other dealers would charge for similar parts.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would you happen to know what your guys installation rates are? im just curious cuz i might to just have them install it instead just to not risk it falling off or anything on account of me. im pretty sure its a lot, but still curious about pricing

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
would you happen to know what your guys installation rates are? im just curious cuz i might to just have them install it instead just to not risk it falling off or anything on account of me. im pretty sure its a lot, but still curious about pricing [/b]
Sorry, I did the whole thing myself. It's really easy though, just refer to the screw holes on the new one. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver, twist it to the left, the clip pops halfway out, then you just pull it out. It took me no more than 40 mins, but that's because I started cleaning things lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts