Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here goes.
I just finished installed my turbo timer from ApexI. At first i was terrified...wiring into the ign system, but with a little trial and error (i tried about 12 different wires) I was able to get it to work and it works GREAT!.
First of all i choose the Apexi turbo timer because I did not want to splice 30 different wires into the ECU.(PCM) I felt i did not need the extra functions of turbo timers such as HKS or Greddy such as A/F ratio, O2 sensor, Smart Timer, 1.4 mile times 0-60 etc etc blah blah blah. I have datalogging software and gauges to do all that. All i wanted was the turbo timer function without the need to purchase a 15 dollar universal harness. That being said, with the apexi turbo timer, install is easy(especially if you know what wires you need to connect) so to make life easy for all those who want a turbo timer heres the DIY.

First you must remove the steering wheel column plastic. There are 3 screws on the bottom and it just pulls apart.

Once you got it apart you can pull off the bottom piece completely. (for those with keyless start you will have to remove the plastic key cover)

On the left side of the column you will see a series of thick 12gauge wires.

On your turbo timer you will have 3 wires that are about the same gauge.

These wires on the turbo timer side are labeld IGN 1 output, IGN 2 output, and 12v constant.

The corresponding wires on the ign side are as follows.

Black with Yellow Line = IGN 2 output (apexi blue wire)

Solid Blue = IGN 1 output(apexi Green wire)

For the 12v constant attach that to the IGN 1 output line(apexi red wire)

You are now Done on the ignition side.

You have 2 wires left, a ground and the parking brake wire.

To get to the parking break wire you must take off the shift boot and the cup holder.

Pull up on the cup holder and it clips right off. Once this is done you can unscrew your shift knob and unclip the boot cover.

Right next to the parking brake you will see a solid brown wire.

Splice the E-brake lead into that brown wire (on the apexi it is the grey wire)

Now for the ground. You have two options. According to the Apexi instructions it says if you want to use the o2 voltage, air/fuel, or the AUTOMATIC After idling function (bascically the ECU/PCM decides automatically how long it should keep the engine on for....not recommended seeing how turbo timers are built to cool both turbo and NA engines) you need to ground the wire to the ECU ground. If you just want manual turbo timer function then you just do a chasis ground.

If you want the ecu ground do as follows.

Take off the driver side door sill. It just pops right off.

Once this is done u can take off the driver side kick panel (the plastic piece with the fuse box label on it)

When this is off you can peak your head up and you will see your ECU/PCM enclosed in a metal frame. If you can find it just look for the square thing with a million wires coming out of it.

Heres the fun part. Choose ANY blue with black line wire. There are about 12 of them. These are all ECU/ PCM grounds. Splice your ground into any of those blue with black line wires.

I assume everyone knows how to chasis ground so i will not go into details.

Once this is done you are finished. SImple right?

Test your turbo timer by turning on your engine with the e-brake up. Scroll down to the manual timer settings and set a time anything over 30 seconds. shut off your engine the engine should remain on. You will notice electronics will turn off, its only the enigne that stays on. Before the timer hits zero put down your e-brake. your engine will turn off.

Well thats it folks as for an inital reaction.....its a turbo timer! if it keeps the engine on after i shutoff the car i'm happy, not much to react on =D...although i will add this. With the apexi i do not get the greddy turbo timer problem. This problem is this, with newer cars the greddy turbo timer will actually shutoff the engine then turn it back on for the amount of time specified. When it kills the engine like that, it kind of defeats the purpose of a turbo timer =D

anyway thats all for now folks... hope this helps

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My Greddy doesn't do that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
are you using the apexi pen sized TT? if so, i have that on my talon... maybe i can transfer that over since i use the talons alarm with built in TT. also where have you mounted it? pics would be great, thanks...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Greddy doesn't do that.
[/b]
Sorry i meant to say every greddy that i have come in contact with. I think i;ve seen this happen on about 22 seperate cars

are you able to arm the alarm, lock the doors, etc?

also, what does the parking brake have to do with it?

thanks.
[/b]
Unfortunately i cannot arm the alarm or lock the doors. I'm looking through various wiring diagrams to see how i can bypass and get it to work. I'll keep you posted.

The e-brake is setup so that if someone gets into your car while the timer is keeping the enigne on, they can;t drive off. When the e-brake is released, the turbo timer automatically shuts off and turns off the engine

are you using the apexi pen sized TT? if so, i have that on my talon... maybe i can transfer that over since i use the talons alarm with built in TT. also where have you mounted it? pics would be great, thanks...
[/b]
Yes its the pen sized TT
i mounted it right under the driver side ac vent. That lil carbon fiber wannabe plastic piece under the gauge cluster. it was a perfect fit

·
Registered
157 Posts
The e-brake is setup so that if someone gets into your car while the timer is keeping the enigne on, they can;t drive off. When the e-brake is released, the turbo timer automatically shuts off and turns off the engine
[/b]

Ohhhhh okay. I'd edit your post and say to also test it without touching the ebrake to see if it functions normally too :) I was really confused thinking "How the hell does that help if you have to wait in the car and let the ebrake out" :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Excellent write up!

Seems simple for most people here to do themselves without the need of a harness.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the DIY. I followed your DIY and I have a couple additional questions:
-Do you know where to tie the O2 sensor wire into?
-If the O2 sensor wire is not hooked up, does a frame ground NEED to be used instead of the ECU ground?
I have my Apexi installed with the ECU ground, the O2 sensor wire is not hooked up to anything. The TT turns on and functions fine, but when I shut the car off the TT shuts off promptly.
Did I understand you correctly that the 12V constant supply wire ties into the IGN1 wire, which ties into the solid blue wire under the dash? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Also, did you figure out the wiring? If you can lock/arm your alarm system?

Do you have teh GT model?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I'm about to install mine finally.

I really want to know how I can get this so my GT Auto lock can arm itself... Anyone find a solution yet?

EDIT: I installed it and it worked twice.. idk wtf is going on But sometimes the timer (tested at 10 sec), will reset to factory default. Ground is fine, all connections are 100% good. Which wire did you all wire the 12V to?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Unfortunately i cannot arm the alarm or lock the doors. I'm looking through various wiring diagrams to see how i can bypass and get it to work. I'll keep you posted.[/b]
This is what has kept me from installing a turbo timer.

I know on the Protege there was a wire to cut that went to the keyless module that allowed people to lock their car using the remote while the TT had it running.
I few months back I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the Speed6 and saw a "keysense" wire going into the keyless module. I'm wondering if this is our ticket.

Do you have GT model, I cannot remember?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
He has the GT model I believe.

I'd love to see these diagrams or at least a wire color/location.

No harm in cutting and testing, I can simply wire it back up.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
good write up i wish it would have been around a year ago when i wired in my tt. i have the greddy fatt dc 4 in my speed and i love it ( this is my 6th greddy tt and i have never owned one that restarts the car)

i to was looking for a way to lock the car while it is still running but i never found a way to make it work

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey, been trying this for a few hours on a friends car.
Turbo timer works, car shuts off fine. But we can't get the doors to lock.
He has a GT with the awesome key.[/b]
if you look over on the SU forums, there is a specific install thread for these TT's and that was a known problem with the GT's, cause you can't lock it with the car still on.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
if you look over on the SU forums, there is a specific install thread for these TT's and that was a known problem with the GT's, cause you can't lock it with the car still on.[/b]
But if you have the car set for auto-lock wouldn't the car sense that the key card was not present and lock the doors automatically right after the car stopped?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
But if you have the car set for auto-lock wouldn't the car sense that the key card was not present and lock the doors automatically right after the car stopped?[/b]
yep

·
Registered
327 Posts
the question becomes, what value did the engineers hard-code into the computer to determine the locking mechanism. I don't have my car around right now, so i cant check, but can you lock the car with it running using just the remote? if so, then there shouldn't be an issue, if not, then odds are the engineer hard coded that if the car is running it cannot be locked. feel free to check and that should lend some insight into how we could get it working properly.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
someone has solved this locking problem on 247's. i was reading it the other day but of course i cant find it. it was like a 3 or 5 step process and every function that worked before the TT install worked after.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts