Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I installed the Apexi engine grounding kit. It was actually bought by a fellow club member (Mazda6sMtx) for installation into his car. However, after struggling with the install for a while (none of the cables were long enough to reach the right locations), he quite disappointingly gave me his kit and suggested we try installing it in my car instead. He has the V6 engine and I have the I4. After the installation, which was a success in my car, he let me keep the kit. Paul, you're such a nice guy :).

The kit itself is the following one: http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electroni...d=224&pageNum=1

Now, before I continue the review, I'd like to point everyone to a post I recently made over in the 2.3-I4 section: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=510265

Essentially, at a particular spot in the 1000 to 3000 range, my engine would feel quite sluggish... as if there wasn't enough air or fuel getting through to the engine. The whole thing manifested itself as a "hesitation" or sluggishness at a particular point in the above-mentioned range. I did the airbox mod, which seemed initially to have improved the issue. However, recently, the issue started re-appearing even with the airbox gutted (after a trip to a local dealer). Above 3500, however, the engine felt alive and well. This particular characteristic was present pretty much since the first day I had the car.

I need to also admit that, before the installation, I was a total skeptic when it came to engine grounding. I had read the numerous posts on this forum on how grounding the TB was pretty much just a placebo. I approached the grounding kit with the same belief but I figured, heck, there's no harm in installing it... its not going to damage anything by being there... and if it turns out that it actually improves performance, then fine and well.

So, the kit was installed... and I instantly felt a complete difference in engine character. The engine was extremely responsive, right from 1000 rpms all the way up through to 3000 and beyond. No more hiccups, hestitation, or sluggishness throughout this range. I drove around yesterday, after the install, and part of today in total amazement that my engine feels so much improved just due to the presence of a few extra wires. With this kit in place, the car seems to pull stronger and power seems to be available more readily.

Now, the kit isn't just a grounding kit. It includes a system that evens out voltage spikes and provides a constant voltage to all parts of the engine. Also, according to Mazda6sMtx, he read somewhere that this particular kit was installed on a Mazda3 (presumably the one with the 2.3 engine) and it was dynoed before and after the installation. There was a net gain of almost 10hp to the wheels.

Anyways... just wanted to report my findings and see what the more knowledgeable people on this forum have to say.

Pics:

The control box. As you can see, there are 3 grounding wires coming out of the box. A 4th wire goes to the +ve terminal of the battery and a 5th wire is grounded to the body.

Closer view of the box, showing the red LED that continuously glows.

Grounding wire #1 disappears under the cover and attaches to a bolt on the valve cover on the right side of the engine.

Grounding wire #2 disappears under the cover and attaches to a bolt on the valve cover on the left side of the engine.

Grounding wire #3 is routed along the front of the engine bay, and around to the engine mount.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
any gain of 10hp or less is within the error range of most dynos. so that isnt really a good comparison, but if the engine does feel peppier, or more responsive, then it sounds good! too bad i have the v6.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Btw either the nasioc or the evo guys bought one of those kits and opened up the box. Its just a capacitor inside, nothing fancy.

If there is a grounding issue with a vehicle, grounding kits will show a rather noticable difference in performance. If there isn't a problem, the differences are generally not noticable, but most reviews do show some level of gain.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Holy crap $160+!!!!! It sounds great...but I don't know if I can justify that much for a grounding system. What makes it any much more different from Here

·
Registered
465 Posts
(I take so fricken long to post there are 5 new posts! before I hit add reply!) So now with this new information...should we all just get some grounding wires and ground out 6?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hmm...$160+ is pretty steep, but you didn't need to crimp or solder anything so that saves a lot of trouble. I have the V6 so it's not a fair comparison, but I didn't notice that big of a difference. I just bought about 11 feet of 8-gauge wires, some ring connectors, and some heat shrink and hooked it all up for $70 CDN (following [iG]'s how-to on clubatenza forums). Though it's been so long that I probably don't notice the effects anymore, but I know it did something :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If you like it so much, PM us, maybe we get you guys some nice pricing on these babies.

I could use one, but never considered this (I got V6 as well).

I was going to opt for a vaoltage stabilizer and/or ground kit $70 for both off eBay). Any difference between the two, besides how th voltage stabilizer is JUST LIKE the Apexi Engine grounding system?

The eBay one says "MAZDAPSEED" on it, haha.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Originally posted by Mazda6Stuff@Sep 20 2005, 05:05 AM
If you like it so much, PM us, maybe we get you guys some nice pricing on these babies.

I could use one, but never considered this (I got V6 as well).

I was going to opt for a vaoltage stabilizer and/or ground kit $70 for both off eBay). Any difference between the two, besides how th voltage stabilizer is JUST LIKE the Apexi Engine grounding system?

The eBay one says "MAZDAPSEED" on it, haha.
[snapback]512639[/snapback]​
You might just wanna check the ebay ones... most of the times they are just generic units and the description says they send you the brand name sticker for sticking onto the body of unit.... I know mazdaspeed definitely does not have this item in their inventory... :p

How much did you say the Apexi one is?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts