Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just installed Apexcone HIDs 6000K, PIAA Spark 8000K for the intergrated fog lights, and PIAA 4000K Xtreme White Plus for the high beams. I'm very impressed with the light output of the 6000K. The Spark 8000K are really just there to match the HIDs, they match pretty well IMO. The pictures may not seem like they match up as well as they do in person. The Xtreme White high beams bulbs are still pretty yellow, eventually I will get a high beam bulb that matches, but for right now it really doesn't matter since I don't need to use my high beams that much anymore! I'm going to take some more pictures when it gets a little darker tonight including a cut off line. Leave some comments!

Just the Apexcone 6000K HIDs on here.

Apexcone 6000K HIDs and PIAA Spark 8000K.

Close up with both bulbs on.

Night picture of Apexcone 6000K HIDs.

Night picture of Apexcone 6000K and PIAA Spark 8000K.

Night picture of Apexcone 6000K and PIAA 4000K Xtreme White High Beams.

The Cut-Off.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Looks great man! Reminds me of my 6000k kit. :) I'm glad that you like the HID's.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome.That car looks fantastic.Did you get the led's out that had fallen?[/b]
Yeah, I got them out. Unfortunately, they don't work for some reason. I tried turning them around and whatnot since they are polarized, but nothing. That's okay though, as I said before I'm going to take them out later, and tap my halos into the 194 switch, so I'm not going to have use for them. I'll give them away for free when I take them out.

Oh yeah, BTW just wait until I get the Black Racing lip. :drool:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Yeah,Im bugging waiting to put my Veilside kit on this spring.I may do it early since I'm buying a truck next month and i can just keep it in the garage.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Lookin' good man ! Aren't they great :D So HighSpeed6 , they look like they have that hint of Purple from them great pics .... how you like how they shine up on the road ? Bright enough for ya ? Have you had a chance to compare other 6 's before choosin' the K temp ? Funny how HIDs make them PIAAs yellow now heheh , wouldn't be the case if you were running stock H1/H3 bulbs though ! BTW are you HID retro or H1 - and if so did you remove the Glare metal thingy ?

Was over at Oliver's place last Thursday with Guinea Pig to have a look at their set-ups . Oliver has the 6000K as well but his have been in there for over 2 years and they were kinda warmer in Temp Ks by say 5-600Ks if I remember him well . He told me they warm up in Ks quite a bit after a year's use , even more two . I found them to light pretty purply-blue on the road compared to Guinea Pig's 4500K Phillips (Balast too) ... but his were damn white lookin' at them straight on - but great from 'back of the steering - roadwise !

So I decided to order me up a set of H1 50w in the 5000K Apex + a 50w also in the 5000K for the H3s :D
They should be just the right medium of what I want overall . Was likin' that hint Purple in the 6000Ks though , so I figure that when my 5000Ks warm up in later years ; I will be right there where you started .
Can't wait for the Holidays to be over to order 'em !

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Pack 6! The HIDs are pretty bright on the road! I'm pretty impressed with them. The PIAA Spark 8000K is what your probably talking about with the "hint of purple" because the 6000K HIDs don't give off any purple at all. They are just what the Kelvin scale says, almost all white with a hint of blue. Perfect for my taste.

Before I get any aftermarket product for my car, I compare many different brands and types so that I can pick the best one for my interest. I didn't get a chance to compare any HIDs in person, but I did take a look at many pictures here on the Mazda6Club before purchasing. I didn't do the Anti-Glare Mod because the HIDs seem to be pretty low, and I haven't had anyone flash me yet, so I think I'm in good shape.

With those 50w in the H3, and H1 your going to have one bright set-up! That must have cost you an arm and a leg. If you can try to do retro, I didn't do it, but I know it is way better in the end if you do it that way. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you check your 5th & 6th pics they flicker some purple on the edges .... maybe it's harder to notice in person as it is so slight ... but pictures can be misleading all too well - but they do pick'up as well what the eye-brain sometimes put aside :laugh:

Hmmm so you're saying you're getting a hint of Blue eh !? I guess I'll take the time I have left to ponder it through ; 'cause that hint of blue/purplish is NICE ! The 5000Ks have that hint of blue supposedly . So whe ya look at the road - you shine bright white / or slight off that towards darker (without being dark of course !) ?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5000K IMO is supposed to be completely white, with a tiniest touch of blue hue to it. I'm thinking if you want to have a noticeable blue hue you should go with the 6000K. If you want an unbiased opinion, I will quote my girlfriend as we were driving around today. "Your lights make everything look blue!" So there you have it, haha go figure. :laugh: IMO, I think they shine white with a significant blue hue to them. Perfect! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Then it comes back to my original decision with the 5000Ks , explained earlier up here & as discussed and witnessed in Oliver's car . I do like the closest to pure White shine on the road with a tiny hiny hint of blue (that will increase darker temp K as years go by) .... my feel from your answer is ; ya ! they do shine white but they also shaded blue on the ground which I tended to like less .... but all is well and thanks to you for making it HID-clearer :laugh:
Enjoy HighSpeed6 !

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Nice... I wasn't looking for HIDs when I first saw this thread, but now... HighSpeed6, check your PM's bro...

·
Registered
122 Posts
when installing HID's in the H3 fogs, what did you have to do? any drilling involved, did you take the headlight housing off to do those as well?

is it basically doing the exact same thing to the H1 lowbeams?

i tried a search on the details of installing HID's in the fogs but didnt find anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So how are those PIAA Spark 8000K's? Still going strong?

From your pics, they seem to match the HID's better than most H3 bulbs out there. I'm looking for something to match my Apex 5K kit. I came across some Hella H3's and put them in during the install but they're not quite what I'm looking for - Real nice, real bright...but not right!! :sarc:

They were about $40+. Would it be worth going the extra $40-$50 to get the PIAA's? I would hate to get bulbs (of that price) that burn out :irate: in say 5 months like my Sylvania "Crapperstars" did, which is why I got the HiDs :yesnod:

Anyone else have a 5k HID setup w/ matching (non HID) H3 integrated fogs and matching parking lights? Pics?

Yes I've done searches and now I have a headache :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.