Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering? I was browsing the 350z forums, and many owners are complaining of shifter vibration in the manual transmissions. My sentra allegedly suffers from a tendency to have peeling paint. Does your car have any problems?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Anything wrong with your car yet?'

As you can see from the number of posts, there isn't much wrong with this car...

Don't expect this to change either. I've been driving Mazda and had friends and family who owned Mazdas from -88 and forward. They have an exceptional build quality, and there is hardly ever any problems.

Mazda's strong sides:

* over all build quality
* enginge durability
* fuel economy
* function/price ratio

Mazda's downsides:

* Only 90% of the body is galvanized (thee roof isn't). This is true also in Mazda6. (This has never been a problem, though.
* The galvanization on the rest of the body is very thin. This gives problems with rust in 8-10 years if the paint coat isn't properly treated and the car not properly maintained.

Just this week, authorities in my part of Sweden has made us aware of a problem with 92-97 year 626:es. Their spot welds aren't strong enough which has made two cars collapse in impact situations. Now, I wouldn't make much of this, it can happen to any car of any brand, but it may have been a problem with the spot welding equipment during a period of time.

Luckily, the 6 is build in a brand new production line...

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting here since I never knew you guys existed. Anyway, ever since I saw the Mazda6, I have fell in love with the car and has been searching the web for anything Mazda6 and finally found you. Weeee!! :)

I am seriously considering purchasing the Mazda6 this January 2003 when it comes to the Canadian market. However, Mazda reliabilty/resale/quality here in Canada is not so hot comparing to the likes of Honda and Toyota.

Now I refuse to buy another Honda Accord since I been driving an Accord since 1990. Accord has not change the looks of its interior since the 80's. The steering wheel is this string thin circle that has no present at all. Don't get me started on the autoshifter knob, it's just plain ho hum fugly. I know the bodywork has change very little but has very little appealing to me comparing to the new Mazda6. Now the new 2003 Accord is pretty good looking but the interior and shift knob is still plain and ugly. Plus Accord refuse to give us a bit of excitement and offer us Eshift.

The 2003 Toyota Camry is great looking but again the interior is still plain. The sportiness is still not up to par. It is still a family sedan with no oomph in power or handling.

Yes both car has awesome fit and finish to the interior but I need something more sportier and different.

However, I need to know that Mazda has some sort of quality and to prove the media conception that Mazda is not quality.

I know most of you who has one on this board will be overseas so engine choices may be different than here in Canada. But what do you think of Mazda engines? Is it smooth? Is it quiet? Is it reliable?

What about body work? Can it handle the rigour of winter? Over here, we use lots of salt on the road in the winter and salt cause major havoc on the any cars.

Hiep

·
Registered
16 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo

What about body work?  Can it handle the rigour of winter?   Over here, we use lots of salt on the road in the winter and salt cause major havoc on the any cars.

Hiep[/b]
I have a '95 626. This winter will be its eighth. The body is still holding up all right. Oh, btw I live in Toronto so I know how bad the salt situation is.

Like you, I am put off by the styling of Camry and Accord. I think Subaru and Mazda are the only Japanese manufactureres that have some guts in coming up with something different. This is all good for us but apparently not for car companies, witness the sales numbers for Accord and Camry :sarc compared to those for 626 or any Subaru.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

In Sweden, Mazda has a better quality reputation than all other cars. No other brand has so few problems with the cars.

No other vehicle has so satisfied owners either.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

In Sweden, Mazda has a better quality reputation than all other cars. No other brand has so few problems with the cars.

No other vehicle has so satisfied owners either.[/b]
Is this really an unbiased opinion or is this a Mazda owner talking? Shouldn't you be supporting Volvos and Saabs instead? ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi Sigvard,

Ouch !! About the comment to Steve about the Volvos and Saabs....!!! :D

Steve, like Yourself and myself have owned various Models from Mazda and I can seriously say that I have not had any serious problems or issues with my Mazda's....

Cheers
Rod from Australia.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Sigvard

Originally posted by Steve 6er

No other vehicle has so satisfied owners either.[/b]
Is this really an unbiased opinion or is this a Mazda owner talking? Shouldn't you be supporting Volvos and Saabs instead? ;) [/b][/quote]

Well...you're right ;)
It's true (really) that Volvo and Saab has a better over-all reputation than Mazda here. And also for design and versatility. But when it comes down to reliability, there's no discussion - we have hard facts from the mandatory tests that each and every car has to go through once a year at the central car test facility (government owned).

They produce statistics, and it speaks for itself: Mazda is the most reliable car, with the fewest faults (626 and 323). It also has the most satisfied customers (according to a separate investigation done by a car-owners association).

But buy Volvos and Saabs indeed, that's good for Sweden's economy (and Fords...):D

(But me myself prefered the 6, ordered it, an has to sit here chating with you guys waiting for it...;) )

·
Registered
163 Posts

In Singapore, it's TOYOTA and NISSAN ( Japan cars ) that is the top seller.

Where can i read about the report on the reliability on cars. esp. MAZDA.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by jon

In Singapore, it's TOYOTA and NISSAN ( Japan cars ) that is the top seller.

Where  can i read about the report on the reliability on cars. esp. MAZDA.[/b]
Mazda isn't the top seller, or even close, in Sweden. But they are truly reliable. The reliability tests are in swedish, and I guess that you wouldn't be very much helped from that...

·
Registered
71 Posts

To: hieppo

I've been driving Mazda6 GT for bit more than 2 months so I can share with
some of my impressions about it.

The largest available engine currently available in Europe AFAIK is 2.3, which will be
available also in Canada and USA. My Mazda has 2.3. The engine IS very
6-cylinder-like: it's smooth, it works nicely at low revs. But it is not very
sportive. It will allow to drive quite dynamically, but not extremely.
Mazda 6 (even in GT version) still is just a dynamic family car. Nothing more
nothing less.

The suspension is quite tough (as in most Mazdas) therefore it shouldn't be
used on bad quality roads to much. I've noticed quite impressive understeering
on some gravel roads. Even with DSC and TCS on.

Besides, 5-gear manual gearbox IMHO is to short. 140kmh in 5th gear produces
about 4000revs. At this rate engine becomes noticably louder and fuel economy
is not the case anymore. Since maximum speed limit is 100kmh in Latvia, this shouldn't
worry me to much unless I decide to visit Germany's highways with my Mazda.
However the short gearbox allows me to drive 60kmh (city) in 5th gear thus
creating posibilities to save fuel. Average consumption 9.2l/100km in the city IMHO is quite low figure for 1.4ton car.
for

·
Registered
837 Posts

Thanks Gasjs,

That was very informative. I was looking for some real life experience with the 2.3L. Now I have it.

As in Latvia, we too have a speed limit of 100km/h. However, we tend to drive around 120 to 140 km/h on the highway. 4000rpm at 140km/h is about right for most 4cyl car with a 4 speed automatic but for a 5 speed manual, I don't know.

If 9.2L/100km is what you get purely for city driving then that is excellent. However, if that is the combine average then it may be a bit high.

I don't know if I should opt for the 6cyl and pay the extra 3 grand or so for it. We have lots of space over here and driving on the highway is common. Perhaps a big 6cyl may be better fuel economy in the long run than a small 4cyl??

Oh one thing I was wondering, how is the engine power once you turn on the A/C and have 4 occupants in the car???? I find that most 4cyl car with the A/C on is like a pig. It can barely pull its own weight nevermind extra occupants. How is the Mazda 6?

·
Registered
71 Posts

To hieppo:

Just as a little reminder: Mazda6 is available also with 1.8 and 2.0 4cyl
engines in Europe. I don't know how Mazda6 is running with these small
engines, but 2.3 is powerful enough to drive dynamically even beyond 140kmh.
I don't think 3.0 engine would be more economical at these speeds. If only
with gearbox with different ratios.

As about AC - I was using it constantly during this summer,
it does not have any noticable efect on performance. Addiotional 3 or 4 passengers
add more than 300kg of weight and this indeed leeds no noticable (but not
dramatic) loss of performance.

About fuel consumption: It was not very smart of me to present these figures, because
traffic situation in Riga most probably uncomparisable to that of Canada's cities.
Anyway driving on highways 100-120kmh makes average consumption little below 8.0l/100km; 120 - 140kmh about 9.0l/100kmh

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hi Gasjs,

Thanks for all your experience.

If I deduct from your numbers, city driving with stop and go traffic lights and signal driving 40-60 km/h would probably give a little over 10 L/100KM??? It is reasonable for a 2.3L engine. But I will be driving an automatic (which will suck for me) since the female in the family need to drive it sometimes too and they do not know how to drive manual. The efficiency will go up an extra 1 L/100KM I think.

Oh well, it will still be better than a 3.0L V6. I will wait to see and compare the two when it comes in the showroom.

The hard part right now for me is the all the WAITING. Oh the agony of TIME. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I understand You! I signed the purchasing contract in the end of april, when
almost nobody in Latvia knew anything about Mazda6. Then 2 awful months
and July 4 was the Day I received my brand new black Mazda6 GT sedan.
If I would decide to buy Mazda6 now I would have to wait in queue for more than
3 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts