Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am real close to getting the new Mazda6 when it comes out in the US. It will be my first new car purchase, as well as my first new car that happens to be the first model year purchase, too. Whew! This is something I said I would never do. :sarc But, here I am seriously contemplating it, because the Mazda6 looks like everything I'd want in a car.

So, are you guys worried at all about this? Anyone know what Mazda's reliability has been when it comes to first year, new model changes in the past?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Anyone worried buying new, first year models?'

Yeah I know whatcha mean. But even though the 6 is on it's first run here in North America, it's been out for a while overseas so I think there's been some time to spot any big issues and correct them for our implementation.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

First things first. In other places the 6 has already been released earlier this year. Meaning many of the "trouble spots", if they exist, would have the possibility of resolution before even released in North America.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Mazda has the best quality reputation of all brands here in Sweden. A bit sad for those who paid more to own a BMW or Audi or so, but...that's life!

It's a myth that first models always have more problems than the second year. Rarely are there any design problems, usually it comes down to single components. Like a sensor to an airbag or so.

But fact is that there are continuous development (not only from year to year) and that components and stuff change from batch to batch, and sometimes even from car to car. This means that not even buying a fifth year model guarantees that there aren't any first year solutions in the car. If you know what I mean...

Also: if there are any problems you can trust that as a first year buyer, you are "more important" than a fifth year buyer. Because what you talk about this car "out there" decides if your neighbour and your friend will buy it also. Mazda knows this. Every car maker knows this, but Mazda is extremely good at taking care of this.

Did I tell you that I had a problem with my 99 Mazda 626 (actually built in 1998, so it's a second year model of the last 626 generation). I got moist in the rear lights. Damn annoying on a new vehicle! Mazda replaced them - it didn't solve the problem. They replaced them again - no success. Then they rebuilt the trunk lid for me. Which took care of the problem. (Note that this wasn't a batch problem - mine was the only car this happened to. Still a mystery why though).

I guess what I'm telling you is that you can trust a first year model as much as you can trust any car. And the fact that you buy Mazda makes it even more likely that you won't have any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Originally posted by Kincaid
First things first. In other places the 6 has already been released earlier this year. Meaning many of the "trouble spots", if they exist, would have the possibility of resolution before even released in North America.[/b]
It would be nice if this were the case, but it just isn't the case. Let's use the Ford Focus as an example of how NOT to implement a new design. Ford produces the new body Focus in Europe for several months. It gets rave reviews for its driving feel and build quality. Ford NA rushes the beginning of production in its NA plant, even though different suppliers are being used and they had to overhaul the plant. They only bring a small team over to supervise the overhaul of the plant. Result? A series of recalls and a horrible build quality and reliability reputation for the Focus. So there is nothing inherent in having already released a car in another market that will make a successful launch elsewhere.
That having been said, I have faith in Mazda for several reasons:
1. They are not Ford :p
2. Having learned from Ford's mistake, they sent a huge team over to supervise the refit of the AAI plant.
3. The 6 is pretty much their last chance at redemption. Every step of the way they have been extra careful to insure success.
4. They are not Ford.
The only thing that can sink them is American union labor. :(

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I fear first year models, but it probably won't stop me if I like the '6 the best out of all its competition. Might be a mistake, but I won't cut off my hand to spite my arm...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

1. They are not Ford :p[/b]
Even my 1991 Toyota MR2 had design problems. Not being Ford is a huge asset, but no one is impervious.

3. The 6 is pretty much their last chance at redemption.  Every step of the way they have been extra careful to insure success.[/b]
This is the biggest, IMO. This is Mazda's shot. They can't afford to blow it. If they blow this, they have seriously screwed themselves. Just like if they screw up the RX8, they may have just killed the rotary off. Either instance would be a tragedy.

The only thing that can sink them is American union labor. :(  [/b]
Overconfidence is a bad mistake...

·
Registered
9 Posts

I also swore never to buy a new car in the first model year. But I'll probably eat my words and get a 6 this year because I'm not sure how much longer my current car will last (do I drop the big bucks on the 120,000 mile service or just put it towards the new car?...considering I'm at 135,000 without having done the 120,000, I've answered my own question! Just living on borrowed time...).

I did get my 88 626 in the first year of its redesign and have had no problems at all. But the redesign wasn't a from-the-ground-up new model as the 6 is.

I pretty much figure that Mazda can't screw up the launch or they are history.

S

·
Registered
319 Posts

I usually am a bit weary of 1st year models. I have had 2 experiences with them.

First, I bought a 1995 Millenia used in 1997. Still have it. Apparently that was the first year of the new V6 engine, and they had problems with camshafts. Consumer Reports listed the 1995 engine on the Millenia a half-black circle for reliability last year, while from 1996 on it is full red circle, tops you can get. I had my cams replaced, and then they did the whole engine (I don't think my Mazda service guys are very bright, so they couldn't do the cam right and just threw in a new engine). Then I had a bad shifting tranny, so got a new one, then the overdrive wasn't operating correctly, so again, instead of reprogramming it, they just threw in a 3rd tranny. Incompentent mechanics again I believe. I'm still having issues with my traction control off light coming on without me pushing the button. They say "bring it in when it happens (sporadically); and finally I was driving by when it happened. Oh, it is the sensor, they replaced it, still does it. "Bring it in again when the light is on"........ :sarc I've pretty much lived with it. TCS still works, but for some reason every now and then it disengages itself.

All in all, after buying that Millenia as a "Certified Pre-Owned Mazda" the dealership admitted that if we had purchased it new it would be a lemon, but since it was used that doesn't apply. We bought the car because we got a lot of car for the money, and it has received excellent reliability ratings. I think all in all, we just got a bad one. Can happen to any car company, in any car (even Toyota and Honda have lemons); and I think we got one.

Just over a year ago we bought a new 2002 Acura RSX Type S, and besides just a few what I call "minor" bugs, the car has been great. Had a rattle in the steering wheel caused by a connector hitting the casing, easily fixed. A loose air vent easily fixed. There was a service bulletin for the 6 speed cars grinding (every car had this) but synchros were redesigned and replaced under warranty. The tranny is now butter. Other minor problem, there is a BOSE sub built into the spare tire, for the first 16,000 RSX's, the sub wires were reversed. EVERYONE complained about there being no bass from the sub, and we were all disappointed by it. Then someone into car stereo discovered the wires were reversed about a week before a service bulletin was released. Problem solved by me in about 15 minutes. I have heard things on the forum about some people having problems with airbag sensors, though it isn't what I would say a big problem. I have had no problems with mine.

So, all in all, I think you can trust a first year car from someone like Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru. I wouldn't do it with a Ford or GM product. I think with my Millenia, I just got a bad one. There will always be little issues like I've had with my RSX that have been mostly fixed, and there will be things not yet discovered that will be fixed later. I trust Mazda, the car has been released for about 9 months now in other parts of the world, they can't afford to screw it up, and their cars (save the Ford rebadged Tribue and B Series) have not had any significant problems at the redesign, though their reliability has gone from above average to the highest possible much above average after the first year. They go from very good to the best, as do many other companies cars as they continue to work through those little bugs, etc.

While I do think a 2nd year 6 would probalby come with fewer problems than the 1st year, just as the RSX has fewer problems this year than last, I don't think I'd feel uncomfortable buying a 1st year.

Hope my experience helps some.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I trust mazda original design quality. I trust that any design flaw, if any, found in car already release around the world will be fixed by the time car roll out the North America production line. What I fear is the workmanship of the assembly line! I just hope the quality assurance (QA) guy is either a japanese or has been trained in Hiroshima. I owned a 626 '85 build in Japan, a MX6 '89 assemble in USA, and a protege '92 build in Japan. All have been excellent cars despite my beating. But I am still concern about buying a new model.

In another note in regard to Mazda cars reliability, people have been debating about Mazda, Honda, and versus Toyota. Despite not having own a Honda, nor a Toyota myself, I can still believe that Honda and Toyota might be slightly more reliable than Mazda. One brandname under estimated is probably Subaru. On a scale of 10, I would say Nissan 9.5 Toyota 9.4, Honda 9.4, Subaru 9.6 and Mazda 9.2. Any other brandname particularly american cars falls below 7.6. All to say that Toyota, Honda Nissan, Mazda and Subaru are all reliable cars, the difference is probably not worth debating. Once this has been recognized, what make you buy one or the other is thing like the car functionaliy, fun to drive, look, etc. For me, the criteria are in that order: reliability, functionality, fun to drive, and finally look. Mazda cars are reliable, no doubt there. Mazda functionality is great but I don't know why for many years the fold down seat did not provide a big opening in the car habitat e.g. 626 and protege. But this is back with Mazda 6. Thanks. Mazda are certainly fun to drive. Volk are also but I don't think reliablity (i.e. electrical problems) is as good as mazda. I have to admit that mazda car look has not always been that good. But with the new protege, miata, rx8 and finally the Mazda 6, I can not say that any more. Peopel can debate a lot about reliability, look etc, but for me there are not doubts ... what can I say, all my life I only had Mazda cars ... that say it all.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Where the 6 is being manufactured in Flat Rock, MI, is owned 50% by Mazda and 50% by Ford. However, the AAI facility is a nearly exact carbon copy of Mazda's plant in Hofu Japan. I have heard it is just as good quality control wise as any other Japanese company's plant in the united states.

AAI will get the new Mustang production moved there from the Rouge plant in 2004, which Mazda and Ford estimate will put the plant almost up to capacity.

Last year, the plant made 71,000 cars (Mazda 626 Mercury Cougar); top capacity is approx 300,000 cars. That made it one of the most underused auto plants in the country.

I'm sure the 6 will help change all that. The new Mustang is rumored to be on the LS platform, with independent rear suspenstion, and is said to be moving way far away from the level of crudeness it sits at today.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Originally posted by arock

I am real close to getting the new Mazda6 when it comes out in the US. It will be my first new car purchase, as well as my first new car that happens to be the first model year purchase, too. Whew! This is something I said I would never do. :sarc  But, here I am seriously contemplating it, because the Mazda6 looks like everything I'd want in a car.

So, are you guys worried at all about this? Anyone know what Mazda's reliability has been when it comes to first year, new model changes in the past?[/b]
Don't worry ! Go and get it.

I did.
Although it have some minor problems eg. "knocking" sound when doing left cornering.

Overall, the build quality is good. Much better than my 2001 toyota camry.

It's the truth.

You know what's the feeling like everytime you drive the Mazda6.
:p ;) :) :D

·
Registered
163 Posts

Originally posted by jon

Originally posted by arock

I am real close to getting the new Mazda6 when it comes out in the US. It will be my first new car purchase, as well as my first new car that happens to be the first model year purchase, too. Whew! This is something I said I would never do. :sarc  But, here I am seriously contemplating it, because the Mazda6 looks like everything I'd want in a car.

So, are you guys worried at all about this? Anyone know what Mazda's reliability has been when it comes to first year, new model changes in the past?[/b]
Don't worry ! Go and get it.

I did.
Although it have some minor problems eg. "knocking" sound when doing left cornering.

Overall, the build quality is good. Much better than my 2001 toyota camry.

It's the truth.

You know what's the feeling like everytime you drive the Mazda6.
:p ;) :) :D [/b][/quote]

BTW, Mazda already have the solution for the "knocking" sound. Our batch is from Japan.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

In most cases the difference between a first year model and a second year model is experience on the part of the manufacturing crew. They will have smoothed out their process. The workers themselves will have learned the car and learned their job better. Let's all keep in mind that the workers are still the single largest variable in manufacturing. We all know not to buy a Monday car right? Cars with a Monday stamp have significantly higher fault rates than cars manufactured on other days. Yes, design flaws will show up, but frankly I worry about that less than worker error. A design flaw will show up on a TSB or a recall. A worker's screw up will be unique and therefore harder to pinpoint, diagnose, and fix.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I always heard not to buy a car that was built on a Friday...Guess that leaves us with three good days.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Oh, and on that issue...

Most of the manufaturing is automated, no? How much actual human factor is there?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Friday cars aren't as bad as Monday cars. Think about it: on Friday, they're daydreaming about the partying/fishing/hunting/TV watching, etc. they're going to do over the weekend. On Monday they're recovering from the effects of whatever debauchery they engaged in. I guess it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. As for the human factor, I know that most of the manufacturing is automated, and that probably accounts for the improved quality of cars over the last twenty years, but whenever humans are present, human error will rear its head.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts