Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it the first time I washed the car. I did not look in detail when I picked it the car up. The difference between the front and rear brake calipers are the colour. Could this be paint? If so why would they paint/cover it different colour? Could it be different material? Is there a reason to use different material for the front and rear? Could it be for better heat dissipating for the front end??

Weird.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Anyone with a North American version notice...

The fronts are also much bigger and more stout than the rears. Two different calipers entirely if I recall.

You may know, but 70 to 80 percent of braking is done with the fronts. They have to be bigger & tougher since they see a much bigger load. They'd be overkill on the rear and add unnecessary weight.

It's the same reason motorcycles typically come with two big rotors/calipers on the front wheel and a single, smaller diameter disc, smaller caliper rear.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah I know that the calipers must be bigger and tougher in the front of the extra load in brakin. But why the colour differences? Is it the different material that they are made from that gives off the different colour?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Isn't it so that the front discs are vented and the rear non-vented? Couse I think the look the same in size...

·
Registered
376 Posts

i think you got it Blackbird... well it's not a big issue since nobody else remarked that before and we all are mazda6 freaks here... :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Remember - I'm always right!

(exept from when I'm wrong..) ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts

you know, that is true again!

you impress me Blackbird! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts

I saw that last night when I saw showing my 6 off to a friend. It caught my eye, but I didn't think twice about it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Anyone with a North American version notice...'

Originally posted by Blackbird

Kneel before Blackbird :D :D[/b]
well if you have some guns you talked about in the other topic, we got no choice then! :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

My friend have a soft air Smith & Wesson - does that count? :)

·
Registered
376 Posts

well... i must admit... it's quite convincing!

:)

back on topic, it doesn't tell why they are different colors... even vented, they could have been the same color!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yeah I know the disc are vented in the front. However, I am not talking about the discs but the actual calipers. The colour are different between the front and rear. They almost look like a different material if you look closely.

On that note, how is the JDM (Euro) model looks like?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Anyone with a North American version notice...'

Well it's obvious - they are colour coded so that you know where to put them back after removing them for maintenance.

...and if you believe that, I have a nifty used vehicle I would like to sell you. 10 years old and only 2,000 Km. and I'll throw in the bridge. :p :p

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Since the front ones are vented I guess the pads sit a little furhter apart (a vented disc must be thicker then a non-vented right?). Then it is very inportant that they put the right caliper on the right place, otherwise the front would not fit and and the rear would not tuch the disc :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Man I love all you guys but can not someone own a Mazda 6 check to see if the calipers are different colour or material.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts