Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really seems high, like 3100 rpm or so. I am sure the engineers figured the sweet spot, but dang, I need a taller 6th! (Or a 7th gear!)

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
QUOTE (Deadstick @ Jan 6 2010, 09:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627846
Really seems high, like 3100 rpm or so. I am sure the engineers figured the sweet spot, but dang, I need a taller 6th! (Or a 7th gear!)[/b]
Welcome to the world of Mazda MTXs! :)

My '04 with 5-speed MTX also spins over 3K RPM at highway speeds, and after 86K miles, it's still running fine. I hear more noise from the tires than the engine. I'm not sure that a lower highway RPM would make a significant difference in terms of gas mileage. Then again, if you're worried about gas mileage, there are plenty of Toyota's to choose from... :p Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Jan 7 2010, 07:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627929
Welcome to the world of Mazda MTXs! :)[/b]
Welcome to the world of MTXs designed for lazy American drivers.

Car manufacturers are afraid to put too tall gearing in cars because they know a large portion of the drivers don't have enough sense to downshift when needed. They don't want dumb people over-lugging the engines and causing all kinds of issues during the warranty period.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think 6th is something like 0.78 . . . if they'd have just gone for broke (6th for cruising only) they could have gotten away with something closer to the Accord's gas Milage. I think I read that the TSX's 6th gear is something like 0.56 or 0.54 -- I know guys who threw that in a CR-V, so weight and HP are in the right range for the 6.

Oh well :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I agree. Make 5th like 6th and make a tall 6th gear for highway. Makes me gealous of my dads vette. Criusing around 75 its tacking around 2 grand.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm guessing a .54 6th would improve fuel economy greatly yet still be enough to overtake at 65mph without a downshift.

The problem is the fuel economy sweet spot is 6th @ 50mph. If they'd AT LEAST aimed for 65 for the optimal cruise, they'd have found their mazda audience better.

Anyone else want to headbutt anyone averaging over 27mpg? :D :D :D

-Ernie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts