Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a Draw-Tite class 1 bolt-on hitch to use with a bike rack, but finding a 3 bike carrier that the hitch can support has been a challenge. Was wondering if anyone has found a good 3-bike carrier that will work with this or a similar hitch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't tried it on the 6, but I have a 3 bike rack I use on our 2010 Outback called the Saris Thelma 3. http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/vehicle-racks/hitch-racks/thelma-3-bike.html

It works very well, secures the bike via the wheels not the frame. It's the only 3-bike carrier I found that holds by the wheels. And the way it's designed, it should clear the bumper quite easily. HTH.

Andy
------------
'14 iTouring
Meteor Grey

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I am using a Yakima Double Down 2-bike hitch rack on a Hidden Hitch 1 1/4" hitch. It is also available as a 4-bike or 5-bike rack in the 1 1/4" hitch size. If I was putting that many bikes on it, then I would definitely get the support strap that goes from the rack to the trunk, just for security. I only haul one mountain bike that weighs about 27lbs, and I am very happy with the way the rack works. And the bottle opener always comes in handy. :)

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Here's a pic of the Hidden Hitch. It's the same design as the Curt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed a Draw-Tite Hitch on my 6 over the weekend. Looks just like the Hidden Hitch in the other pic.

Pretty easy to do with the assistance of a floor jack to help hold the weight of the hitch while I got it placed. Didn't need to jack up the car or remove the exhaust. Took about 40 minutes and barely got my hands dirty.

One nice thing I noticed is that my car had some sort of undercoat on the frame where the hitch mounted up...So, no metal to metal contact that could start the rust process.

Got mine from etrailer.com

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have a Curt hitch on my 6 and use it with a 2-bike rack all the time. Works great.

FOUR bikes may be too much (due to the lever arm involved); I'd definitely be considering stabilizer straps from the top to the front of the trunk lid if I was going to run 4. What I like about the setup I have is that I can get into the trunk with the bikes loaded without having to remove them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
etrailer.com told me that no Class 1 hitch should carry more than 2 bikes (and all must use the support strap). Has anyone been using 3 bikes (with success or problems)?

Here's what they wrote. This was for my 2004 6 (I own both a 2004 and a 2014), but the weight and torque limits are the same for both cars--it's the hitch class that matters)

-------------------------

Options for Carrying 3 Bikes on 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon with Class I Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

I have a solution for you to carry 3 bikes on your 2004 Mazda 6, but it is true that Class I, 1-1/4 inch receiver trailer hitches, like the # C11308 you referenced, are limited to carrying only 2 bikes.

These trailer hitches are limited to carrying 2 bikes due to the low tongue weight capacities of both the trailer hitch and the vehicle on which the hitch is installed. As more bikes are installed on a hitch mount rack, the weight of the bikes is moved further away from the hitch, increasing the leverage placed on the hitch. Because of the increased leverage with more bikes, trailer hitch manufacturers have determined that Class I trailer hitches are limited to carrying 2 bikes.

Class II trailer hitches with 1-1/4 inch receivers are able to carry more than 2 bikes, which is why manufacturers make 3- and 4-bike racks for 1-1/4 inch trailer hitches. Some of these racks will still fit in Class I hitches, but they will be limited to carrying 2 bikes when used with a Class I hitch.

In order for you to carry 3 bikes on your Mazda 6, I recommend using a hitch mount bike rack and a bike rack attached to a roof rack.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good input here. Just bought a Cannondale Catalyst 2.0 and needed some options. Found a Draw-Tite for $108 that will be on order shortly. Just waiting for my trusted mechanic to give me a labor quote to install since I don't have garage space or tools (apartment living, ya know).

As far as a carrier, really digging the Saris Themla 2. No frame contact, can fold up when not in use and USA made to boot. Here's a current link with an overview video

Thelma 2-Bike Car Rack | Saris

I'll shoot some pics and give thoughts in a couple of weeks when I have everything set up.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Well, this took me much longer than I'd like but I finally got the setup. First up is the hitch. I went with a Draw-Tite 1.25" Class I receiver. Fairly simple to hook up since the hitch is engineered specifically for the 3rd gen 6.

Next up was the Thule T2 Classic. Also fairly simple to assemble. The only complaint I have about it is that it has three points (2 on the front tire pawl arms and 1 for the hitch bolt) where you can install a cylinder lock... but they only give you one lock. You can order additional locks (they're key numbered) for around $11.00/E. They should just give you three locks. Pics below. Took it around town today and works great. Just wish the Draw-Tite hitch box was a little longer. I can fold the Thule up fine, but the rear wheel holster is pushed up against the bumper molding. It's OK when parked, but I wouldn't drive it around like that unless I wanted to start missing paint!

In case anyone wonders why I went Thule instead of my original choice, Thule was on sale

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Curt Hitch and 1UP USA Bike Tray, could not be happier. Using it 4-6 times a week. Rock solid, you cannot budge the tray or the hitch, really works beyond my expectations. I am so glad i did not go with a roof rack again.

Nice looking White Mazda Michael.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts