1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Don't you think that if running acetone were a viable option that everyone would be doing it? Now I can't rmemeber all the specifics but acetone has its definite down sides, most likely a severe reduction in poweroutput. I'm sure I'll ahve more on this later when I get time to look into again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just curious if anyone here is running acetone with gasoling mixture.
Pros:
Improved Gas mileage
Better vaporization of fuel in combustion chambers

Cons: ????

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005...900069_Acetone/

Brian
[/b]
Previously, I was running acetone mix in my MSP . There was extensive debate about its pros and cons on this forum and on msprotege.com. Personally, I felt that the MSP ran smoother and had more power, but I didn't have a dyno run to prove it. The mileage increase was real, as I had been recording my mileage per tank. However, the improvement in mileage was not as great as I had expected based on information I had read.

I have not run an acetone mix in the MS6 though as I am unsure how it might work with the DISI fule delivery system.

R

·
Registered
364 Posts
the heck w/ acetone..if anything run a mix 100 octane and whatever else....that's what I do here in CA since we only get 91 octane...the car loves high octane!

·
Registered
867 Posts
i have heard about acetone didnt think it would be brought up but glad it did so i can know about it. so im intrested also 2k2camaross

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have heard about acetone didnt think it would be brought up but glad it did so i can know about it. so im intrested also 2k2camaross
[/b]

Xylene and tolulene are much better alternatives to acetone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have run acetone in previous vehicles, and never saw much of a gain in performance or mpg. I ran the mix in a 2001 S10 Xtreme V6 and 1989 Plymouth Voyager Turbo. It took some of the sputter out of the Voyager, but nothing else. In the S10, I got about another 1-1.5 mpg, but not consistantly.
Will I run it in the Miata, the Mazda 3 or Mazdaspeed 6? Most likely not, I will just add some 100 octane pump gas.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
do not confuse acetone additive with octane boost or toulene/xylene additive. acetone is meant to break the surface tension of gasoline so that the burn will be more complete, thus giving better mileage. given that we have absolutely no blow-by (as i have had a catchcan for 6 months and have not seen a drip), the combustion process may already be near 100% efficient, and acetone may not have any effect in our vehicle. but i could be wrong. cant really know until you try.

the drawbacks to using acetone is that IF water is present in the gasoline mixture via rain drops or other sources, acetone will emulsify water and may cause rusting on parts of the fuel system such as the injectors. i am not a chemist, so i do not know much about this, but from what ive read, this is the only issue.

·
Registered
489 Posts
FWIW, I purchased a gallon of Acetone from my local hardware store, and have tried using it on 3 of my vehicles (04 Acura TSX AT, 06 MS6, 97 Nissan Pathfinder) over the past year, in various ratios from 4oz/20 gallons all the way up to 8oz/15gal, and I was never able to observe an appreciable improvement in fuel economy that was noticeably greater than the normal factors that affect mileage. In other words, statistically speaking, Acetone had no positive effect on fuel economy for any of my 3 vehicles.

So, after I finish burning up the remaining quart of Acetone (just to get rid of the stuff), I'll not be using it again as a fuel additive. (On the other hand, when exposed to flame, it does a very fine job of removing weeds when poured into the concrete joints in your driveway. It burns very cleanly.)

FWIW, I reduced my average speed in the MS6 from 80mph to 65mph, and instead of having to refuel around 320 miles, I'm up to about 360.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I am curious about something. Within a reasonable distance from my house is a Sunoco gas station. I go there normally to get 94 octane gas. They also sell race gas at 110 octane. I've read up on Racing Gas potentially improving performance. However, this 110 gas is leaded.

Now I haven't seen leaded gas since I was much younger.

IIRC, leaded gas is not good for a car designed to run on unleaded. Is that true? This would not be used for everyday driving. Indianapolis (now O' Reilly) Raceway Park is nearby and I would think about getting some of this (if it's relatively safe to use in my MS6) before I go try my hand at the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
489 Posts
IIRC, leaded gas is not good for a car designed to run on unleaded. Is that true?
[/b]
Yes, that is absolutely true. Leaded gas will destroy your catalytic converters. Don't do it if you ever hope to pass emissions again.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Yes, that is absolutely true. Leaded gas will destroy your catalytic converters, even if used occasionally.
[/b]
Gracias. I was hoping my memory was wrong! :hoho:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Um, ya dont put leaded gas in your car... It has lead in it, and lead isnt good for your car. BTW dont eat it either. Buy a bottle of octain crap and be happy.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I am curious about something. Within a reasonable distance from my house is a Sunoco gas station. I go there normally to get 94 octane gas. They also sell race gas at 110 octane. I've read up on Racing Gas potentially improving performance. However, this 110 gas is leaded.

Now I haven't seen leaded gas since I was much younger.

IIRC, leaded gas is not good for a car designed to run on unleaded. Is that true? This would not be used for everyday driving. Indianapolis (now O' Reilly) Raceway Park is nearby and I would think about getting some of this (if it's relatively safe to use in my MS6) before I go try my hand at the 1/4 mile. [/b]
Leaded gas will pretty much instantly ruin your catalytic converter(s). unless you've already removed them and don't have to pass emissions testing you'll be screwing yourself royally by putting leaded gas in your car.
I'm surprised they even sell that at a gas station that services the public. Usually the Sunoco 110 leaded stuff is only available at the track. Of course anyone can fill up a fuel jug and put it in anything they like, but like i said if you still have cats in your system its instant death for them.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I haven't seen leaded gas in a very long time. The Sunoco gas stations always seem to sell the highest octane gas anywhere I go. Now, about 50 minutes from my house is another Sunoco with 100 octane gas that is unleaded I believe.

Thanks again for the quick answers!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Now that we got that one answered, back to Acetone as a fuel additive! ;)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
FWIW, I purchased a gallon of Acetone from my local hardware store, and have tried using it on 3 of my vehicles (04 Acura TSX AT, 06 MS6, 97 Nissan Pathfinder) over the past year, in various ratios from 4oz/20 gallons all the way up to 8oz/15gal, and I was never able to observe an appreciable improvement in fuel economy that was noticeably greater than the normal factors that affect mileage. In other words, statistically speaking, Acetone had no positive effect on fuel economy for any of my 3 vehicles.

So, after I finish burning up the remaining quart of Acetone (just to get rid of the stuff), I'll not be using it again as a fuel additive. (On the other hand, when exposed to flame, it does a very fine job of removing weeds when poured into the concrete joints in your driveway. It burns very cleanly.)

FWIW, I reduced my average speed in the MS6 from 80mph to 65mph, and instead of having to refuel around 320 miles, I'm up to about 360.
[/b]
so there you have it. acetone will not help our cars. thanks for the info. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Now that we got that one answered, back to Acetone as a fuel additive! ;)
[/b]
Best one to ask is Mr. Tea. He runs it all the time in his GF's minicooper and has done it 1 or 2x in his 6.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not sure if any of you have ever read/heard/tried any of the higher end race stuff, but I did dabble in this product.......and it made HUGE POWER.

Super Blue 007 Power Additive
Its the second from the bottom.
http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/PowerAdditives.html
PURE POWER SUPER BLUE 007 - Using one gallon Super Blue 007 to treat four gallons of gasoline increases a boost in horsepower of 10-12%. Has no effect on dielectric meter. Slightly increases specific gravity. Contains no nitro compounds. Just add to your current racing fuel and check your lap times or E.T.'s. Raise jet sizes by at least 2. Clear in color. (Availability in 1 gallon, 5 gallon & Drums).

I used it in a 521ci sled pulling engine that I was running. The engine was about a $25,000 investment, but was still not able to bring home the bacon.....so I looked at trying some of this. On the second pull, I was "On fire".....coming down the first 150 feet of the track like God himself were willing the truck to win! But, not all things can go this hard and survive.......silence falls. From 8,600 RPM to 0 in no time at all. There was a brief few moments before the silence where we saw what appeared to be fireworks under the hood...maybe something electrical shorted out....? Maybe the dang crank pulley has broken the bolts again and is hitting the dampener shield....? Then quiet. So I ran out on the track to look at what I hoped was an electrical short. I told the driver to try to start the engine, lets see how it turns over. It turned over and started right up, but it was shaking bad! I screamed to kill it as he did. We got a tractor to pull the truck off the track and into the pits where we got it under a light as well as where we had some mag-lights......well.....what do you know! 2 holes in the block! One piston was still inside the oilpan with its top half of the rod sticking out (Just below the pan rail) and the other side had a much larger hole but the piston can be seen with a mag-light to be laying on its side setting on top of the oil pan baffle plates. Remember I said it starded on the track but shook real bad? It is a bit out of ballance now! So I figiure $300 for a 5-gallon drum of this stuff (Shipped Haz-Mat) and $17,000 in damage to my engine....give or take 5 grand. No thanks. I dont think I'll be looking for magic elixers again! I am going to stick to straight old VP-Racing C-14 race fuel. I cant afford the real cost of things like that in a race engine. Since I still have 3 gallons left, I may be tempted to add a bit to the Mazda, but not until I can read true air/fuel ratios and I can tune for the lean condition that this makes. On my Dominators I went +2 jets on all corners to compensate for the 007 additive. The plugs looked great! The $1500 pistons, $1200 rods, $2200 crank, $3200 block, all associated bolts, $300 windage tray, $400 oil pan, $1500 titanium valves, $450 camshaft, $600 lifters, and more DID NOT LOOK SO GOOD.

The point of all this? I do not recomend trying things like this unless you can stomach the loss at the worst case scenario! Our little family cars run well.....very well! They can be tweaked and tuned on more and there is plenty of fun to yet come down the road as the release of the Speed3 will force aftermarket parts into our hands. Dont do drugs! Leave all your drugs on the table right here and I will do like elvis and try to keep the streets safe by doing all the drugs myself! Its OK, I can take it. I am invincable! BOOM!

In reality, I dont really know what to do with the 3 gal I have left. I dont really plan to use it. It makes huge power, and really can be heard/felt/seen....but it over powered my internal parts and made a bomb out of some decent quality parts. Bryant crank, Ford MotorSport A-460 block, Oliver rods, custom biult pistons with coatings and milling....boom. I have never blown an engine running straight VP C-12 or C-14 fuel. Add 10% HP to a 1000+ base HP engine and you get some large gains! Boom!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts