Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
@neonoggie I spent the extra money on an Autocraft Platinum AGM battery because I've talked with Cx5 owners who had minor difficulties with lesser batteries, specifically on startup with cold temps.

That, and I expect this battery to last me almost 6 years like the OEM one did.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
AGM batteries have superior cold amp performance (by quite a bit) and can be charged more quickly (by a huge amount) -- but will be ruined very quickly by even moderate overcharging as they will vent and once they do you're screwed since there's no way to put water back in them. A flooded battery will tolerate moderate overcharges just fine provided you keep the water level correct (and you WILL need to add water if it's being overcharged.) On the other hand an AGM will also tolerate deep discharges -- a flooded starting battery will be severely damaged by drawing it down materially over 50% of its capacity just once.

I don't like the AGM price premium one bit in applications where the non-spillable nature of them isn't important (it is, obviously, in an application like a UPS -- or a smaller boat) but for those who live in cold climates there's a VERY clean argument for them as even when fairly far down the "worn out" curve they'll start the car on a cold morning where a flooded battery is likely to fail.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a Interstate battery from Costco for 75$. Worked like a charm, starts like she was new! I am also pretty impressed with the starting system on these; the starting circuit was handling the bad battery well. My butt dyno also feels like maybe throttle response got a bit crisper? I don't know if that's possible; maybe my alternator was under a heavier load with the old dying battery. Or maybe I'm drinking the placebo kool-aid.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I got a Interstate battery from Costco for 75$. Worked like a charm, starts like she was new! I am also pretty impressed with the starting system on these; the starting circuit was handling the bad battery well. My butt dyno also feels like maybe throttle response got a bit crisper? I don't know if that's possible; maybe my alternator was under a heavier load with the old dying battery. Or maybe I'm drinking the placebo kool-aid.
Well, you do have an all-electric steering and throttle in these cars, so a dying battery could potentially be felt through their response :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, you do have an all-electric steering and throttle in these cars, so a dying battery could potentially be felt through their response :)
Yeah, makes sense, particularly if the voltage of the system was drooping. Next question is whether fuel economy will improve slightly due to lower alternator load. I'm not sure I drive consistently enough to tell, though!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
23 Participants
tickerguy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing