Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says I am coming up on 22K miles and I am starting to feel the brakes a bit squishier than they used to be. So I know that 30 K is the usual time to replace pads but I wanted to hear your opinons. ALso what pads are you using or switching to?

Thanks
Michelle

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The manual says that you won't have to replace the pads until the start to squeek, as they have built in indicators. I don't know what kind of pads they are, but on my 6s, I know that Mazda put organic pads on them OEM and as I used a ceramic pad as a replacement, I preferred the organic OEM pads.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did nto know they have an indicator on them. I did not want to get to the point that they squeak tho, that is just obnoxious. SO I was wondering at what point ppl are replacing them. Milage wise too.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Everyone is going to be different. It depends how you drive. Also, downshifting to slow the car minimizes wear of the brake pads, so if you downshift all the time your pads will probably last longer than someone who shifts into neautral and brakes, which is what some people do in the winter on snow covered or icy roads, as it is safer than downshifting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I replaced mine at 34,000 miles with hawk performance ceramic break pads that I got thru a group buy. The reason I went with ceramics is because they do not make nearly as much dust.

The pads I got were VERY THICK so it took a couple trips before they stopped rubbing aginst the rotors and that was even with getting my rotors turned!!!

I also painted my calipers blue to mach my car, ill throw up some pics soon.

EDIT: OOPS! I followed the link from main page, didnt realise this was the mazdaspeed section.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is ok all input is appreciated.. I don't drive very aggressive or slam on brakes a lot I mix downshifting to slow and braking.. Depends on the driving situation..

I ask cuz my brakes feel very squishy/soft for lack of a better word.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
When you downshift do you have to step on the clutch?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
When you downshift do you have to step on the clutch?
[/b]
Are you serious? Are you really asking that question?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Downshifting is Bad IMO.... I used to do it all the damn time... and i'm still in the habbit of doing it... HOWEVER... consider this!!!!!

Cost to replace break pads... and have rotors turned... re-finished... whatever... 20-60 for pads depending.. and another 100ish to do rotors every so often...

Cost to replace clutch... 400-800+ depending... So.. i'd rather use my breaks up faster.. and replace those more often.. than put more wear on my clutch ...

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Downshifting is Bad IMO.... I used to do it all the damn time... and i'm still in the habbit of doing it... HOWEVER... consider this!!!!!

Cost to replace break pads... and have rotors turned... re-finished... whatever... 20-60 for pads depending.. and another 100ish to do rotors every so often...

Cost to replace clutch... 400-800+ depending... So.. i'd rather use my breaks up faster.. and replace those more often.. than put more wear on my clutch ...

Just my 2 cents...
[/b]
Clutches can last many years with downshifting.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Just my 2 cents...
[/b]
It's entirely in how you shift and drive. If you rev match when you downshift it's no worse than a normal upshift. Habits as a driver will make more difference than you think.

But yes, replacing brakes is certainly more painless than the clutch for the DIY'er.

When the Time comes I'll probably contact Porterfield about having some R-4S pads made up for the MS6 if they're not already in stock. I believe they make Hawk pads.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
can anyone link me sites where to get ceramic break pads for my MS6 cause i was thinking about buying the red stuff brake pads says they produce less dust is this true for whoever has the red stuff pads otherwise i will just order the ceramic ones. Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
can anyone link me sites where to get ceramic break pads for my MS6 cause i was thinking about buying the red stuff brake pads says they produce less dust is this true for whoever has the red stuff pads otherwise i will just order the ceramic ones. Thanks
[/b]
I installed the first and only set of EBC RedStuff front pads in the country a few weeks ago. Follow this post to read my findings. :)

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=60905

Best wishes with your choice!

·
Registered
176 Posts
EDIT: OOPS! I followed the link from main page, didnt realise this was the mazdaspeed section.
[/b]
Drivers of other cars are always welcome. Many of us moved to the MS6 from a 6i or 6s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts