Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did today, and I must say it sorta ruins the look. A huge grey plastic RFID sticker below the rearview, ugh. Sorta sucks, anyone agree?

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,570 Posts
I have an M-Tag in my windshield, but it's small and you really can't see it.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I've still working that out with mine. My EZPass in NH is a big, white square..like..5" x 5". I haven't transfered it to the speed yet, but I can just do it online. I'm debating whether I'll just keep it in the car somewhere, and when I need it I'll just plop it on the dash, or hold it up myself as I go through...

I just hate to stick that thing on the window...

:\

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
When I was in FL, we had transponders for the E-pass and they work from the map pocket without taking them out. Nobody ever sees anything.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've still working that out with mine. My EZPass in NH is a big, white square..like..5" x 5". I haven't transfered it to the speed yet, but I can just do it online. I'm debating whether I'll just keep it in the car somewhere, and when I need it I'll just plop it on the dash, or hold it up myself as I go through...

I just hate to stick that thing on the window...

:\
[/b]
I hear that, this thing is like 3"x3" and right in the middle of the windshield, UGH! Funny thing is when I was applying it, I could feel the RFID tag built into the sticker. I'm wondering, even though TxDOT says it won't read it unless it's in that position, whether it could. The scanner is looking for the RF signature of the tag, not the damn plastic sticker. Anyone done this? TxDOT claims that even having it upside down will keep the tag readers from working. Could that be true????

Experts apply here :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just toss mine in the navigation compartment on the dash and then hold it up when I need to, I haven't yet tested if it would work while in the compartment. (it's a big white ugly hun of plastic, I felt bad enough putting my parking sticker on the rear side window, no way is that thing getting velcro'd to my windshield...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've still working that out with mine. My EZPass in NH is a big, white square..like..5" x 5". I haven't transfered it to the speed yet, but I can just do it online. [/b]
fyi, I live in NY and when I got my speed6 a few weeks ago, I stopped into the EZ-Pass office to tell them I had a different car and they told me that as long as the plate is the same, they don't care what kind of car it is.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
fyi, I live in NY and when I got my speed6 a few weeks ago, I stopped into the EZ-Pass office to tell them I had a different car and they told me that as long as the plate is the same, they don't care what kind of car it is.
[/b]
Yeah, but I still have the Mustang, so I won't be transferring plates. I can just log on to my account online and add the MS6. I can even add it with the temp plate that is still on it, then change the plate when I get my final metal ones. In my state, they give residents discounts off all in state tolls who use EZPass, so they do track plates..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just toss mine in the navigation compartment on the dash and then hold it up when I need to, I haven't yet tested if it would work while in the compartment. (it's a big white ugly hun of plastic, I felt bad enough putting my parking sticker on the rear side window, no way is that thing getting velcro'd to my windshield...
[/b]
Yeah, TxDOTclaims that if you alter or place the tag in a way not mentioned (like on a visor or holding it up when you drive under a scanner) you will likely not be registered and in turn get a fine for violation of the TOS. Granted, I have no idea if this is true, but if anyone knows if you can indeed remove the RFID tag and use it as needed, I'd like to hear it!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, but I still have the Mustang, so I won't be transferring plates. I can just log on to my account online and add the MS6. I can even add it with the temp plate that is still on it, then change the plate when I get my final metal ones. In my state, they give residents discounts off all in state tolls who use EZPass, so they do track plates..
[/b]
Yeah they do that here too. My morning commute has a $0.25 toll but they only charge me $0.23 because of my EZPass. Thats a whole $0.80 to $1.00 a month! :)

I just put mine in the window. Yeah, it looks stupid, but whatever. It's better to have it there than to have it not work when you're holding it up to the window. If you go through that thing and it doesnt work, that's when they snap a shot of your plate. If you're lucky, they just charge you're account. If you're not, or you have your EZPass in another car, be prepared. In NY, they'll charge you a fine and then they'll charge you for the toll to the farthest destination from your location.

To the guys in austin, I don't know if you have front plates or not, but here in NY, they have an option for a long, thin tag that screws on to the length of your front license plate bracket. You have that option?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the guys in austin, I don't know if you have front plates or not, but here in NY, they have an option for a long, thin tag that screws on to the length of your front license plate bracket. You have that option?
[/b]
There is that option, but you have to prove (through their own testing) that you need a plate mounted tag, then, to add insult to injury, they charge you a $20 fee for a plate mounted tag, UGH!

Thanks for the input though!

cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Wow..some "discount". It's better here..we get a 30% discount.

So, for the $.50 tolls, it's $.35. For the $.75, it $.53...and so on.

There is that option, but you have to prove (through their own testing) that you need a plate mounted tag, then, to add insult to injury, they charge you a $20 fee for a plate mounted tag, UGH!

cheers!
[/b]
Same here. It's only for vehicles with the windshields that have a coating that block the signal. It's also more for the license plate one. It makes me think though...if it works somewhere as low as the plate, I have to think it would work fine just laying on the dash...and possibly in the map pocket.

I may have to try going through with it in the pocket, on the dash, and being held up...see which works.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Like I said. The transponders in Florida work inside the pocket. I can't imagine the frequency being much different. Worse comes to worse, maybe you'll just have to flip the pocket door open when you go through a toll.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said. The transponders in Florida work inside the pocket. I can't imagine the frequency being much different. Worse comes to worse, maybe you'll just have to flip the pocket door open when you go through a toll.
[/b]
Hmmm, like I mentioned, the documentation says even and improper orientation (sideways, upside down, etc.) of the tag will result in a nul-read. Do you know if the tech used in FL is the same as in TX?

If you're sure you can orient the RFID tag in any direction, I'd rip that f'er off the windshield in a second :)

·
Registered
59 Posts

cheers!
[/b]

LOLOL how do you 'prove' that you need a plate mounted tag ???

Just take a pic of your car and show them... "See?? This car is just way too sexy to stick crap in the windows!!"

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Just take a pic of your car and show them... "See?? This car is just way too sexy to stick crap in the windows!!"
[/b]
Hehe, wish it worked like that!

Seems if you cruise through the scanner and it doesn't scan the tag (which is when you get a viloation notice in the mail) you get to drive to a TxDOT station and they test your car. If it turns out it doesn't work during that test, you get a plate mounted tag.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hmmm, like I mentioned, the documentation says even and improper orientation (sideways, upside down, etc.) of the tag will result in a nul-read. Do you know if the tech used in FL is the same as in TX?

If you're sure you can orient the RFID tag in any direction, I'd rip that f'er off the windshield in a second :)
[/b]
RF = radio frequency, right? The state probably just wants all the tags to be uniform so they can reduce the chance of issues.

Hehe, wish it worked like that!

Seems if you cruise through the scanner and it doesn't scan the tag (which is when you get a viloation notice in the mail) you get to drive to a TxDOT station and they test your car. If it turns out it doesn't work during that test, you get a plate mounted tag.
[/b]
In Florida, you get 3 free violations a month.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts

[/b]
In my state, IIRC, they have a list of vehicles with the known windshields that cause a problem. If your car is not on that list, you can only get a internal tag.

That is how it was when they started it a couple years ago at least...

·
Registered
10 Posts
It will work when placed high on the windshield, on that blacked-out portion behind the rearview mirror. When placed there, it is mostly out of view from the outside of the car. That's how I mounted mine. Still works just fine for me, and is not as ugly from the outside of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts