Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I've thought about the Curt or Hidden Hitch one for bicycles and such.

My reason for hesitation is that I really like the rear ground clearance and this will subtract a small amount from it. IF I prang the receiver on a low curb while backing in to a parking space the resulting damage could be quite considerable, given that it hard-mounts to the body rail structure....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, hit that thing hard enough pulling backwards into a parking spot barrier, and unibody damage is quite possible. Paying extra attention to the back-up camera would be really prudent with a hitch install. All in all, the hitch does look nice and clean for light duty applications.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
2,000 lbs maximum on that hitch, 200lbs of tongue weight. Be careful if you use a ball extension; that rating is WITHOUT it. If you extend the receiver you must derate the hitch's tongue weight, typically by 50%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2,000 lbs maximum on that hitch, 200lbs of tongue weight. Be careful if you use a ball extension; that rating is WITHOUT it. If you extend the receiver you must derate the hitch's tongue weight, typically by 50%.
Yeah, I saw that information on the hitch but was more worried about what my car "not the hitch" can actually tow safely. Didn't see anything in my books about towing capacity and would really hate to damage my car or worse yet not being able to pull the waverunners off the ramp and seeing it float away in the water as I try to take some good pictures to share with the forum of my bad day lol.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yeah, I saw that information on the hitch but was more worried about what my car "not the hitch" can actually tow safely. Didn't see anything in my books about towing capacity and would really hate to damage my car or worse yet not being able to pull the waverunners off the ramp and seeing it float away in the water as I try to take some good pictures to share with the forum of my bad day lol.
IIRC we're only even suppose to have ~800lbs in the cabin.. somehow I doubt the waverunners would be ok, but I'm sure people exceed that weight rating fairly often as well.. 4 adults could easily touch or exceed that number. Then again I recall the CX-7 had a similiar rating for inside, but could tow 3,500lbs.. it was also a turbo-4 though.

FWIW, found this in a review of the '14 CX-5 2.5. Considering it is the same architecture/drivetrain 2000lbs should be safe... maybe I need a hitch and trailer LOL.
You still won't be towing horse trailers with the 2014 Mazda CX-5 (indeed, towing capacity is unchanged at 2,000 pounds), but the extra torque is evident and appreciated in the Texas Hill Country.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Folks, remember that in terms of mass IN THE VEHICLE it's the TONGUE weight that bears on the car in terms of load on the suspension and bad effects.

However, it is the mass of the entire package that you have to stop with the brakes when the time comes to do so.

Vehicles designed to tow things have a "GCWR" rating, or Gross COMBINED Weight Rating, which is the "never exceed" for vehicle, occupants and trailer mass; this rating is mostly about stopping power rather than the ability to "pull" the load. The tongue weight limit is (mostly) about not unbalancing the suspension since the moment arm on it is far enough aft to potentially cause problems with steering by unloading the front axle.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about pulling the Jetskis, but there may be a serious problem with launching them in that you definitely do not want to get the back of the car wet! This can become somewhat of an issue with my truck, which has materially more ground clearance at the rear than the "6" does -- I pull my boat regularly with the Suburban, which I own because I need the long wheelbase to be able to safely stop the combined package.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts