Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, as you know i bought a 2004 M6 with 82,000km on it ... the car runs fine and has been serviced regularly .. I want to change some things to make it better and take care of it ... here's what I had in mind ..

1. switch to full synthetic oil like 0w-20 mobil1 or 5w-20 royal purple, which one ?? (i live in ottawa, it gets - 40 C sometimes)

2. install K&N air filter ...

3. switch to K&N 2010 oil filter ...

EDIT: Anyone here use Royal purpler engine/tranny oil ?? Are they better than Mobil1 and MT-90 ..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the k&n filter does not filter as well particle wise as the stock paper filter, so if your worried about engine life, thats a little thing to consider.

the k&N is cleanable, tho.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'm familiar with the thread. My perception is thus: I don't think there is sufficient data yet to arrive to a conclusion that the A26MX-R transmission has a problem with Redline. I don't see any UOA's, nor pics of increased wear and tear, no pics of oxidation, nor widespread reports of failures, etc. I'm not saying there is or there isn't a an issue. I'm just saying we need more data before we start claiming that there is an issue.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For power
[/b]
how much power can you gain by using a different air filter ?? I thought those air intakes make a big difference, but air filters <_< ...

would the 0W-20 oil work in -40 C tempratures ??

how much $$ would it cost me for the engine/tranny oil to change it once ??? so basically qty * unitprice ... but i dont know how much i'll need for engine oil and tranny oil .. if i use Royal Purple and MT-90 ...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the k&n filter saves you money because you can just clean the old filter without replacing it with a new one.

you get more hp boost from the airbox mod than changing the air filter, the greatest restrictions are in the tray and flapper i believe. probably that resonator too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone know about this:

would the 0W-20 oil work in -40 C tempratures ??

how much $$ would it cost me for the engine/tranny oil to change it once ??? so basically qty * unitprice ... but i dont know how much i'll need for engine oil and tranny oil .. if i use Royal Purple and MT-90 ...

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't know about the 0w-20. I didn't think it was available anymore.

I use the 5w-20, and in the v6, I get 6 quarts per oil change, and use the KN 2010 oil filter.

For the Jatco ATX transmission, the total hold is (if memory serves me correctly) like 9.7 quarts, and doing a drain re-fill you can only change approx 4 quarts at a time, but a flush fill should change it all, but I heard you need approx 14 quarts for that.

For the MTX, I know it takes way less (like a couple of quarts), but can't comment on that, since I don't have one, and haven't change the fluid in them.

And according to Mobil1's site about the 5w-20
It offers exceptional performance under all operating conditions, pours at temperatures as low as -53°F (-47°C) and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400°F (205°C).[/b]
ANd for the 0w-20 they also have listed on their site
It offers exceptional performance under all operating conditions, pours at temperatures as low as -53°F (-47°C) and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400°F (205°C). [/b]
Pulled from Mobil1.com

·
Registered
823 Posts
When you buy fluids, they come in little plastic bottles. The unit of measurement is a quart. I believe 1 quart equals 2 pints, or 32 ounces. And 4 quarts equals a gallon.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have an Injen Intake and I just make sure that I clean it regularly
I just inspect it everytime I do an oil change
I didn't buy it for performance but for efficiency, I dont' want to keep on buying new filters as my car has a lot of km

I don't even use synthetic oil, I just use mazda oil (dealer)
synthetic oil should (prolonge the lifetime) molecule chain harder to break = less friction
but if u keep on changing your engine oil before it breaks down, i dont see the difference
also synthetic oil would usually be used for racing, not for normal driving

I will be installing a tranny cooler for the car, i dont' c the harm in it

·
Registered
823 Posts
The information is in your manual for the amount of fluid it takes, but to drain the engine oil and change the filter, it would be approx 6 quarts of engine oil.

For the transmission fluid, I don't know. Like I said, haven't done that route, but I know it takes less transmission fluid than the ATX.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car has 82,000 kms .. but the engine got replaced at 35,000 kms ... so the new engine has 47,000 kms on it ..... is there a point switching to Synthetic now ??

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
13 Participants
timmyshwagg
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing