Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
New to the forum, as i'm looking for advice.
i dont generally like paying for work that should be simple tasks that we all used to watch parents do on cars growing up.
Like Changing serpentine belts, brakes, oils etc.
in older cars, you could easily access and work out how to remove the alternator, but on the new ones (2015 2.2 Skyactive-D) the engine bay is way tighter and looks like it may require removing a few more parts to easily access.
Does anyone happen to have replaced an alternator on this model and be able to share any guidance, or access to the removal/fitting procedure?

also, would anyone recommend chipping a high mileage diesel.

Thanks
miniminsh

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Don't know about this one but let me relate something to you....

ALH VWs (TDI engine) -- the official shop book for this vehicle says "remove front clip...." Yeah. So you have a bad alternator and wind up with a $1,000+ bill for the R&R.

Now guess what -- it comes out the bottom without doing any of that. I can replace one of these in about an hour -- every time. Put car on ramps, disconnect battery, remove bottom cover (like our cars have), remove serpentine belt (easy), unbolt but DO NOT DISCONNECT A/C compressor and set it on a block of wood or other item out of the way, remove the pax side radiator fan spider and fan (10 minutes, 3 torx screws) and now you can unhook the electrical from the alternator, unbolt it and it comes out forward and down. It doesn't clear by much BUT IT DOES CLEAR.

You pick - $800+ in shop labor book time or an hour with ordinary tools in your driveway oh, and no A/C discharge/recovery and recharge fee (never mind coolant, etc) either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts