Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone buy a Mazda 6 Touring 6-speed with Sand interior recently?

I'm trying to solve a little mystery... I was at my local dealership last week. They had a Soul Red/Sand interior automatic Touring in the showroom, and I noticed something interesting. The front seats on the sand interior cars are supposed to be two toned, i.e., tan on the front surfaces, with black leatherette on the backs of the seats, like you see here:

The interesting thing is that the Soul Red automatic Touring I saw had sand leatherette on both the front and back of the seating surfaces. It actually looked much better to me than the two toned versions they initially manufactured. And the stitching and folds on the leatherette also looked better (indistinguishable from the GT). Which got me to thinking...

1. Did Mazda make a mid year production change away from the sand/black to all sand leatherette seats? Maybe they also improved the stitching to make the leatherette look more like the full leather interior?

2. Are the all sand seats only available on the Touring automatic? I.e., maybe they retained the two toned seats for the 6-speed manual editions because someone at Mazda decided they look sportier, and decided to put the all sand seats in the automatics because it looks more upscale?

I'd love to solve this mystery. If any of you bought a recent production (i.e., manufactured within the past few months) Touring with a six-speed manual and have sand leatherette interior, did you get the two toned seats, or the single color seats? Personally, I hope they've made a mid-production run change and that all Touring sand models have the one-color seats now with the improved stitching. The two toned leatherette doesn't look terrible - it just looks more upscale and "normal" with the uniform color seats and the better quality stitching.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hmm..it does look better and proper. Color matched the sand leatherette seating surfaces to the rear vinyl seat covers. Like that of black leatherette, front and back matched. If I don't wear jeans often, that "new" sand leatherette would be it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm trying to solve a little mystery... I was at my local dealership last week. They had a Soul Red/Sand interior automatic Touring in the showroom, and I noticed something interesting. The front seats on the sand interior cars are supposed to be two toned, i.e., tan on the front surfaces, with black leatherette on the backs of the seats, like you see here:

The interesting thing is that the Soul Red automatic Touring I saw had sand leatherette on both the front and back of the seating surfaces. It actually looked much better to me than the two toned versions they initially manufactured. And the stitching and folds on the leatherette also looked better (indistinguishable from the GT). Which got me to thinking...

1. Did Mazda make a mid year production change away from the sand/black to all sand leatherette seats? Maybe they also improved the stitching to make the leatherette look more like the full leather interior?

2. Are the all sand seats only available on the Touring automatic? I.e., maybe they retained the two toned seats for the 6-speed manual editions because someone at Mazda decided they look sportier, and decided to put the all sand seats in the automatics because it looks more upscale?

I'd love to solve this mystery. If any of you bought a recent production (i.e., manufactured within the past few months) Touring with a six-speed manual and have sand leatherette interior, did you get the two toned seats, or the single color seats? Personally, I hope they've made a mid-production run change and that all Touring sand models have the one-color seats now with the improved stitching. The two toned leatherette doesn't look terrible - it just looks more upscale and "normal" with the uniform color seats and the better quality stitching.
Hi, I can answer your question.

The black trim on the back of the front seats is ONLY ON THE GRAND TOURING. Not the touring. That is why the touring has a solid sand color and no difference is seen on the black, since both sides are black whether you have the touring or grand touring.

The picture you have is of a grand touring interior, multiple things give that away, most notably the red stitching.

No changes were made.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you, Kosomoto! Based on your reply and after a little more searching, I found some examples of the sand leatherette interiors. I appreciate your help in figuring this out.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't know that the two toned seats were only available on the GT - They were as surprised as I was when I pointed out the sand colored seat backs. Personally, I like the uniform color on the front and backs of the seats. I'm sure others would disagree, but it looks more upscale to me in person, and I'm glad it's a standard feature of the Touring editions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you, Kosomoto! Based on your reply and after a little more searching, I found some examples of the sand leatherette interiors. I appreciate your help in figuring this out.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't know that the two toned seats were only available on the GT - They were as surprised as I was when I pointed out the sand colored seat backs. Personally, I like the uniform color on the front and backs of the seats. I'm sure others would disagree, but it looks more upscale to me in person, and I'm glad it's a standard feature of the Touring editions.
Glad I could help.

I don't have anything against dealers, especially since mine gave me the easiest buying experience of my life, but the Mazda dealerships seem to have very little knowledge of the products. Especially the sales people, probably since that position has a high turnover rate anyways. They told me my touring with tech came with xenon headlights, which I knew to be false but I didn't correct him since he seemed very proud of himself for listing off the features of the tech package and I didn't have the heart to bring him down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad I could help.

I don't have anything against dealers, especially since mine gave me the easiest buying experience of my life, but the Mazda dealerships seem to have very little knowledge of the products. Especially the sales people, probably since that position has a high turnover rate anyways. They told me my touring with tech came with xenon headlights, which I knew to be false but I didn't correct him since he seemed very proud of himself for listing off the features of the tech package and I didn't have the heart to bring him down.
Yeah i noticed that too, when i went in to buy my Mazda 6. It seemed i knew more about the car then he did. When i asked him questions he would kind of stutter or be like "I have to check on that," of course me already knowing the answer. haha

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I don't care as much for the matched almond seat backs.
The first thing that comes to mind (and this isn't an issue for everybody) is scuffing, as a result of little ones kicking the seat backs, while seated in a booster or car seat.

The black colored back would mask that. Not that this is a fair judgement, seeing as these aren't options, but between trim levels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
+2 The two tone Almond / Black with White exterior is one of the reasons I bought the Mazda 6. Was looking originally at a 14 White Mazda 3 Grand Touring - and you can't even get the Almond Leather with White Exterior :confused: Actually glad it is like that, cause I love the looks/size/ergonomics of the 6 much better. Plus it is actual leather too!

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
+ Whatever comes after 2......

Wasn't a fan of the almond in the first place, but the two-tone isn't that bad.

As for white with almond interior, the contrast wouldn't work at all and it would look sort of bleh. The pure white would make the almost just seem dirty and old.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought the Reflex Blue Touring with A/T and Almond interior which is same back to front leatherette. The two tone as rightly pointed out in this thread is an option only on GT.

Color choice is an extremely personal matter and there is no wrong or right when it comes to that. However, to my eyes the Meteor Gray with Almond interior in GT trim is in my very humble opinion the most beautiful looking M6 there is. It just looks like a very expensive car :cool: Unfortunately it was way beyond my budget.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate everyone's perspective, and I actually like them both. My natural leaning is towards the solid color seats, but the two tone interior is quickly growing on me.

Sigh...now if Mazda would just announce the Speed 6 already, I'm ready to buy one. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have to agree it looks more upscale. I have the sand and at first I wanted the black/sand look because it's different type style but the complete sand interior has grown on me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I much prefer the two-tone interior over all sand. I was disappointed I couldn't get the two-tone seats in the touring trim because I fell in love with the car after seeing the 6 in blue reflex with GT almond interior. I didn't need all the extras with the GT, so ended up with a touring and chose all black over sand.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
two-tone for me!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'd go for coordinated solid almond seats...probably in another lifetime (when I don't wear jeans).

But for now (and before) I'm for solid black interior. Easiest, durable and hard to see dirt. It is also the most "European", and sportiest among interior colors. This is my 2nd black. I got this liking for the color, from my old man. He happens to like his MBZ and Audi interiors black. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd go for coordinated solid almond seats...probably in another lifetime (when I don't wear jeans).

But for now (and before) I'm for solid black interior. Easiest, durable and hard to see dirt. It is also the most "European", and sportiest among interior colors. This is my 2nd black. I got this liking for the color, from my old man. He happens to like his MBZ and Audi interiors black. :)
I have black leather in my Porsche, and agree it's really easy to maintain. I have sand leather in my Jaguar, and while it's required more maintenance, it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting.

I was initially set on Soul Red on black Mazda 6, but actually really like the sand. It makes the cabin feel more airy. I remember reading the recommendation to order the sand interior on the Mazda 6 in an automotive journalist's review recently, but didn't really appreciate what he meant until I saw one in person. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. It's a gorgeous car, and both interior colors look good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts