Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently checking with ken from PG, charles from P3 and msf. But as it stands now, my machinist wants me to front the $550 bill on a deck plate for honing the cyl's. I can understand his position, as this is prob the only mzr he'll ever touch, and a second machine shop in town said they'd have me pay as well. He's thinking about halving it with me, but i haven't heard back.

So i figured i'd ask everyone here, if anyone had or knew where i could find a deck plate for our motors? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i'm just gonna buy one, so soon i'll have one people can rent on the cheap.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's best to have the deck plate made of the same material and the same thickness as the head, since its purpose is to simulate the distortion on the bores that the torqued head creates. Of course, that means full torque on a set of studs, and the stockers are out of the question for that, so you'll have to give him your ARPs if he doesn't have them already.

With that said, closed deck designs don't experience as much bore distortion, and most 500+ hp motors never saw a deck plate when they were machined.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Hmmm, well I will rent it I guess.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting a BHJ, which is about as good as it gets for deck plates.

Judging from how out of round the bores were (6 thousandths), it seems to make quite a difference. I'll definitely have to give him the studs ahead of time to torque it down. It'll be interesting to see how round the bores are with the plate on.

Hope the block is okay, i'm sure it is, but i just hope lol.

And i really wouldn't want to risk boring it without a plate, cause i'm spending this much money so far, might as well do it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts