Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I replaced rotors and pads on all 4 corners at 58,000 Miles and I had the rear caliper recall done shortly after. They replaced both rear calipers at that time.

Now I'm approaching 92,000 Miles and I'm hearing a pulsating drag and squeal in my rear brakes. Either my rotors are warped or that caliper or the parking brake could be dragging. This is happening at half of the life I had from the original brakes.

Has anyone had a similar issue and been able to get Mazda to replace the rear calipers again under the recall?

I'm debating going into the dealer for this but I'd rather not if it's just a waste of time and money and they won't warranty the calipers beyond the initial recall replacement.

I can do my own rear brakes if that's all it is, but I'm going to be mad if I have to deal with the caliper being faulty again and it causes more brake issues down the road.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to inspect them this weekend and see how the pads and rotors look and try and rule that out to make sure that isn't the problem, I'm just trying to figure out if anyone has dealt with a caliper replacement after the initial recall work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What I'm trying to say is that the calipers need regular maintenance. If the brakes aren't performing up to par it's not necessarily because a caliper has failed (again). A clean and lube on the calipers keeps them in good order.

If your caliper is starting to stick there's a good chance a service will remedy the issue. If they've been sticking a while and it's damaged or prematurely worn rotors / pads there may not be much you can do about that if they aren't salvageable.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
In the salt belt (which it appears you're in) it's not at all uncommon to need to pull calipers on an annual basis, clean up the contact surfaces where the pad tabs slide with a wire wheel if necessary, clean the bores and slider pins, then re-lube with the correct (brake-specific -- it's a high-temperature silicone-based) grease and reassemble. You may also have to change the boots on the pins if they're deteriorated. In non-salt states you may NEVER need to do it other than, of course, when you do a regular brake job due to ordinary wear.

If they stick you'll either get wildly-differential wear (and wind up needing to replace at least pads and often pads and rotors) or worse, the disc will overheat, take differential material transfer and then you get the pulsation problem. Once that happens you're odds on to need new rotors and the pads are frequently compromised as well.

I haven't had any trouble with my '15; I'm at nearly 190,000 miles and in the next 10-15k miles I'll be doing brakes, but it's just on ordinary wear (this will be the second time around); the others were swapped out for the same reason, not due to any sort of specific problem. But I don't live in the salted part of the country....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what you are saying in regards to regular maintenance and I do plan on inspecting them and at that point and re-lubing the pins.

I'm asking about repeat recall warranty repairs because this is a known issue with these cars. If it wasn't for that I'd simply replace the pads and rotors myself.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a repeat caliper failure because I'm debating if it's worth the effort and cost to bring this to the dealership and tell them that I have a rear brake issue and ask them to inspect the caliper. I feel like I have a better leg to stand on and point to the recall issue if I haven't dismantled it all yet.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The recall was specific to one particular type of failure, which in turn was related to the parking-brake actuator corroding in the bore on the rear calipers. It involved inspection, if corrosion was detected then they were replaced, and addition of a newer-design seal around the actuating lever for the parking brake on those calipers in an attempt to prevent moisture from getting in there.

So unless you had a second failure caused by the same thing, that is, specifically corrosion of the parking-brake actuating lever, I doubt very much you'll find any joy there. If Mazda's fix for that was ineffective then perhaps.

Incidentally while this was most-likely in salt states when I took my "6" in for inspection on this program they found one compromised caliper and replaced it -- even though I don't live in the salt states and have only been through them once or twice during winter months with the vehicle. I have no other corrosion evident anywhere on the undercarriage or running gear of the vehicle, but apparently there WAS some one one of the parking brake actuators, so they did replace one caliper.

It should be easy to determine without disassembly if your problem is related to this -- see if the parking brake actuating lever is stuck and not in the all-the-way-released position. If it is, then I'd say you have a decent argument but if not, then not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah i got the recall done, and few months later my left rear brake caliper was dragging, my parking brake was very loose. I blamed mazda for botching the recall work. They replaced my rear brake caliper on the left side, cut the rotors and gave me brand new rear brake pads for free. I recall them calling it goodwill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah i got the recall done, and few months later my left rear brake caliper was dragging, my parking brake was very loose. I blamed mazda for botching the recall work. They replaced my rear brake caliper on the left side, cut the rotors and gave me brand new rear brake pads for free. I recall them calling it goodwill.
by the way my mazda 6 2015 had 70,000 miles when it got fixed so it was way out of warranty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks maz615. Good to know they have covered it.

So since posting I didn't have a chance to pull the rear pads yet and inspect them but I noticed the brakes were sounding better actually after a few days. Fast forward to today when my parking brake handle failed once again and I can't get it to engage. I'm going to be calling the dealership this week to try and get it in and see if they will do anything about fixing this again under the recall.

I'll report back once I see what they do about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh, no luck in the end here. They dismantled the rear brakes and are claiming the calipers are good and that the E-brake handle itself is broken. So I'm getting hosed for $600 to get that and the rear pads and rotors done now. I'd take the damn thing home and do the rear rotors and pads myself, but in doing so I'm probably relinquishing the rights to any "Gotcha!" moment if I have continued problems with the parking brake or calipers later after the E-brake handle is replaced.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The handle ITSELF is broken?! Uh, how? That's quite an extraordinary thing, really -- the handle is not much really other than, well, a handle and a cable with an adjustment nut and "T" on the end....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it sounds ridiculous to me too. I haven't taken it apart on this car, but I've never really seen a "complex" mechanism for an E-brake handle.

It did occasionally fail to engage and "let loose" and drop moments after I set it at times, but this was maybe a couple times in a month or more. It is a manual car though so I'm basically setting it 5-10 times a day on average. I was never abusing it though and doing "e-brake turns" on the ice or anything else foolish to damage it.

I asked him directly that they did inspect the calipers and that they are confident that it's the not them and that they would take care of it if the e-brake handle didn't solve the problem. If I have the slightest issue with the handle or the brakes afterward I'm bringing the damn thing back to be looked at though. I'm not very convinced at this point.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The levers on the calipers, if they're hanging up, are obvious when you look at them with the handle down.

Inspecting this is not difficult in your driveway. Put handle all the way down and pull the back cover on the console (it just pops off.) Make sure the cable is "almost tight" (that is, there is NO pull on it but all the slack is out.)

Then look at each caliper; the lever the cable attaches to should be all the way at its released stop. If it's not but the cable is loose the caliper is boned as the lever is sticking. It's also possible for the cable to stick internally; that's easily differentiated in that if the lever is sticking the cable will be loose at the caliper end, and if the cable is sticking the lever will not be at the stop but the cable will be taut, holding it where it is. The "new and improved" fix for that originally was allegedly a boot that would prevent moisture from getting into the lever mechanism and corroding -- Mazda was supposed to replace any caliper that showed signs of corrosion even if the lever WAS NOT sticking previously during the recall. They changed one of mine even though it wasn't hanging up as they said they found some corrosion on the lever shaft during inspection.

I wouldn't expect the cables to be bad on a vehicle this new, but if you're in the rust belt who knows.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's still in the dealerships hands and already being worked on so I can't inspect it anymore at this point.

With the handle in the down position I could not get the lever itself to move at all when I tried to move it with my hand, I didn't think to check the tightness of the cables then, but it didn't look loose. If it isn't seized should I be able to move that lever by hand?

At this point I don't know what the hell is going on with them. It's now been an entire extra day and they still have it and I'm wondering if the Service Advisor is avoiding me. It was supposed to be ready this afternoon around 2 or 3 and he said he would call me. It's now 6 and I haven't heard back. I'm fed up with the non-communication here and I didn't bother to call him again because I suspect something is up so I'm taking the liberty of tying up his loaner car for another evening. If he can't call his customer back he doesn't have a necessary resource then. This is why I hate dealerships.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts