Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally get my $#%^ transmission down to change the clutch...What do you know? The clutch is just fine. A bit worn, but still looks good. BUT the problem was the throwout bearing. It completely spun out. There was bits of bearing everywhere, in fact some of the tranny case was well worn from metal going everywhere.

Anyone ever see that?

BTW...lower ball joints SUCK

·
Registered
430 Posts
So I finally get my $#%^ transmission down to change the clutch...What do you know? The clutch is just fine. A bit worn, but still looks good. BUT the problem was the throwout bearing. It completely spun out. There was bits of bearing everywhere, in fact some of the tranny case was well worn from metal going everywhere.

Anyone ever see that?

BTW...lower ball joints SUCK[/b]
Yep on my old 240z

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lower ball joints suck because I damaged 3 out of 4 of them trying to get them loose. Didn't seem to matter what tool I used, although the front end service kit from PepBoys has the correct tool, I ended up replaced 2 control arms and one front rear control arm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Macs&Mazdas @ Jun 6 2008, 08:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1363590
WOW, that really sucks. But I have noticed from working on my 6 that all the parts seem to suck.[/b]
The arms themselves don't suck, but the ball joints were just stuck and would not release. Usually you just whack the damn thing w/ a hammer, but these were cemented in place, it seemed. When I put the correct tool on them, they sounded like a gunshot when they finally broke loose. What sucked was the rubber boots got ripped in the process. On one side, the steel sleeves actually came out with the ball joint. When I finally broke the sleeve loose, it shot across the garage like a bullet. Lucky that I found it in the far corner of the garage and that it didn't hit my car...it did hit me in the leg though on it's way and left a nasty bruise, HAHA!!

I felt like the kid in Christmas Story w/ my Red Rider BB gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Macs&Mazdas
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing