Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachmentid=8106]

Pretty much what the topic title states. I have oil sludge/residue on the top back end side of the engine. Underneath the black plastic and on top of the exposed aluminum engine. There are just plastic pieces there and nothing else i know of, but there is oil sludge there like the engine is freakin 10 yrs old. Like the engine is spraying oil there somehow. I am not losing any oil so what gives? Does anyone else have this? Is it normal?

Even though u can tell from pics i am talking about the v6 here.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
that's where your car is storing it for later use ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i cleaned it up and going to check to see how long it takes for it to accumulate again. Ill let mazda know about it and ill check my power steering level, although i didnt know thats where the pump was.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Its not. The power steering resevoir is at the front center of the engine bay. (You can't miss the cap).

It seems in certain situations, either the p/s overheats, or overpressures, and it'll squirt right out of the resevoir. It can reach the rear left of the engine on a good squirt, and will leave residue all over the place.

Just looking at the top of the p/s cap usually tells the story. If the unit has crud on it, thats probably what it was.

I have a picture of what it looks like, but the page I thumbnailed all my images on is down. =/

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well checked the P/s, all good. No dirt on the cap or any other evidence of any kind of squirting. I am also assuming that it would of been all over the engine cover too if it did and not squirt specifically to that location so even though im not completely sure, i can say that it is not the p/s reservoir issue.

Its been like a week and nothing extra has accumulated but there is still sludge present. There are no places that i can see that oil would even be there. I think im just going to mention it to the dealer and have them look at me with 10 heads going "why was he checking there in the first place?" rather than saying "yeah thats interesting, we will check it out and give you the time of day and analyze the problem"

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I took my engine cover off, there was all sorts of dirt buildup in all the little nooks and crannies. The roads are dirty, you know. If it's not oozing from a gasket, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm...that's intersting. I just picked up my new 06 Sport Wagon about 2 weeks ago. After less then a week of driving it I finally managed to catch a little day-light and took the opportunity to check out the 'bowels of the beast' LOL....

Sure enough, the engine cover was covered with what looked like a fine oil mist...it was actually all over the place, the plastic intake runner were all oiled, as was the battery and the various brackets, etc...pretty much everthing I looked at.

I checked the power steering reservoir, the cap had a bit of play, maybe less then 1/8 turn, so I did tighten it. Checked the oil cap to make sure it was on tight, it was. So, I wiped everything down as much as I could and will check it out again tomorrow, that'll be another week worth of driving. If the 'oil mist' comes back the car is going back to the dealer until they fix it...and I am not going to accept a 'cant re-create it' type of an answer...

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the 'oil mist' comes back the car is going back to the dealer until they fix it...and I am not going to accept a 'cant re-create it' type of an answer...
[/b]
Well, the 'mist' didn't come back...but since I was at the dealership anyways I asked them...man, this I didn't expect...the guy said this was '...obviously WD-40 from when the OTHER dealer prepped the car for delivery...'....WTF????

Sorry, but I wish that moron could have actually heard himself say this...what an idiot. Having played with cars for about 15 yrs it is really easy to tell apart oil/lubricating agent from a simple WD40....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
06WagonRide
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing