Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before anyone even starts, I know downshifting into 1st is to be avoided. And I'm not talking about doing this at speed, but say I come to a yield sign and almost come to a stop. 2nd gear would bog BIG time, so I try to put it in first and it just doesn't feel like it wants to go. Sometimes I even go to neutral, blip the throttle a tiny bit and then try again but it doesn't really seem to help.

Occasionally, it will go in no problem, but most of the time it feels like it really doesn't want to.

Anybody else experiencing this?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. At a rolling, 5 mph California stop it doesn't want to go to first.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's happing to me in second. First is too high and third is too low. I had problems like this with my Mazda3.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have this problem all the time--although 1st-3rd gears have the same problems. I have brought the car to the dealership to get them to look at it, but they say "nothing is wrong." Too bad my state doesn't have lemon law or else I would have a new car (already been in 3 times for the same problem)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've got he same thing but only for first. At first I thought it was some sort of thing to prevent you from accidently miss shifting into 1st but since it still wont go even at 5 mph I'm not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now before anyone even starts, I know downshifting into 1st is to be avoided. And I'm not talking about doing this at speed, but say I come to a yield sign and almost come to a stop. 2nd gear would bog BIG time, so I try to put it in first and it just doesn't feel like it wants to go. Sometimes I even go to neutral, blip the throttle a tiny bit and then try again but it doesn't really seem to help.

Occasionally, it will go in no problem, but most of the time it feels like it really doesn't want to.

[/b]
I've not had the problem, but ususally do the double clutch if I'm making a rolling shift into 1st. Have you done the clutch adjustment? If so, you may not be getting full separation of the clutch plate from the flywheel. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

[/b]

I have the same issue.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've had not one problem whatsoever, I can actually get it to slide right into 1st going 20mph without a problem. Although like a couple other people have suggested, if you can't get it to go in, just double clutch it, that's just about the only way I could get my old WRX into 1st from a roll lol. In case you don't know what double clutching is, here's a quick breakdown:

1)Push clutch in
2)Put car in neutral
3)Release clutch
4)Blip the throttle in order to spin the input shaft
5)Push clutch in again
6)Slide into gear

It has to be done quickly, but it's pretty easy. Like someone else mentioned even quickly rev matching should allow you to slide it into gear.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've had not one problem whatsoever, I can actually get it to slide right into 1st going 20mph without a problem. Although like a couple other people have suggested, if you can't get it to go in, just double clutch it, that's just about the only way I could get my old WRX into 1st from a roll lol. In case you don't know what double clutching is, here's a quick breakdown:

1)Push clutch in
2)Put car in neutral
3)Release clutch
5)Push clutch in again
6)Slide into gear

It has to be done quickly, but it's pretty easy. Like someone else mentioned even quickly rev matching should allow you to slide it into gear.
[/b]
I too have the same issue. I also took it to the dealer who informed me this is how the car is supposed to act. Gave me a line about how the tranny is setup to lock out 1st after a certain amount of rpm's. Which I have found to be the case.

Oh well, it still notchy as hell and they don't want to do anything about it.

Did I also mention my xfer case leaks :swearin:

Jason

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
yeha i have the same issue. anything around 10mph i just stay in 2nd, but when its like 5 mph i drop to 1st, put it in gear and half the time it feels as though its only in half way, but it never pops out or anything.. feels alittle awkward

·
Registered
176 Posts

1)Push clutch in
2)Put car in neutral
3)Release clutch
5)Push clutch in again
6)Slide into gear

[/b]
Exactly. If you are rolling and try to go into 1st gear, you should double clutch (also known as "rev matching") every time. If you don't, you are causing excessive load and wear on the 1st gear synchronizers. One of them is brass, so will wear quickly under excessive loading. Years ago, when the first manual transmission synchronizers began to be installed in cars, they were omitted in 1st gear. The two reasons given were that: 1) you should always be stopped to shift into 1st; and 2) they could not design a synchronizer that would last under the strain of a rolling shift into 1st. If you just follow Arctic Blue's procedure it should work fine. The rev matching is done by "ear" and "feel." After a while it gets to be second nature.

I find that with my clutch set in the factory position, this car is a dream to double clutch and heel & toe shift. Both are easy and the clutch does not have to be depressed completely to the floor. I know many people love that clutch adjustment, but if you want to run this car through the gears in the twisties, don't touch it unless you've tried to learn it at factory settings. If you have difficulty mastering it, then adjust to your heart's content.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You should never downshift into first. If you are in neutral rolling at 5 mph or less, it's fine. I'm sure it's an engineering design to prevent damage to your transmission. Smart Mazda engineers.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Exactly. If you are rolling and try to go into 1st gear, you should double clutch (also known as "rev matching") every time.
[/b]
DAMNIT, get your facts straight! These two are NOT the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts