Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to them, HD is for stock springs, Sport version is for aftermarket springs (they mentioned Eibach, H&R, etc.).

No external damping adjustments, and they are rebuildable, $329 ea F, $160 Rears.

I have a set on my Camry (TRD) and they are very nice, much nicer (and more expensive) than the tokico HP's I have on my 6s.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just talked to them, HD is for stock springs, Sport version is for aftermarket springs (they mentioned Eibach, H&R, etc.).

No external damping adjustments, and they are rebuildable, $329 ea F, $160 Rears.

I have a set on my Camry (TRD) and they are very nice, much nicer (and more expensive) than the tokico HP's I have on my 6s.[/b]

thats pricy (disclaimer: i've never bought car shocks before).

I had bilsteins on my old GMC Yukon and absoutely loved it. I'm glad to hear that there's some for the 6.

·
Registered
780 Posts
+1 more more expensive than the koni's I'm planning to buy. Rebuildable is a plus. Do you guys know if they're oem replacements or like the koni's and you'll need to reuse the old strut housing?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

No external damping adjustments, and they are rebuildable, $329 ea F, $160 Rears.[/b]
The rumor that Bilsteins would be available for the Mazda6 has been around for a time, since a part number showed up on Bilstein's website.

Until your post, I have not heard of an actual item showing up in North America. Who is the "them" you talked to?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have a set on the way that are going to be used on my car, then custom valved to Mazdaspeed6 specs...

For Mazda6 guys, this is a great bolt-in shock abosorber that will make the car handle better and according to Bilstein, ride better as well...

Koni's are great, but they require butchering the OEM unit, and truthfully, even on full soft, I couldn't get them the way I wanted them to feel on my Mazda6s... granted I only had them for a short time, but I just wasn't happy as others with them for ride comfort reasons...

I will have a link of where to order them from shortly...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Where can i get these shocks for a good price? and are the HD shocks fine with a lowered vehicle?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
no, the hd's are made for stock height[/b]
This is true and false...

They do not have a shorter length, so they aren't specific for lowered vehicles (I.E. if they were designed for a lowered vehicle they would not fit on a non-lowered vehicle...)

But they are valved to travel further, ensuring maximum handling and comfort.

This came from Bilstein themselves about a week ago, when I talked to them on the phone. Good company to call and ask questions, they are very helpful.

Where can i get these shocks for a good price? and are the HD shocks fine with a lowered vehicle?[/b]
Sent you a PM...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
So, where's a good place to inquire/buy these bilsteins? Any of our sponsors carry it?[/b]
I found the Bilstein site and did a search in my area and it gave me Auto Zone (I think they're nationwide?).

So, where's a good place to inquire/buy these bilsteins? Any of our sponsors carry it?[/b]
PM'ed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go here:

Bilstein Online Retailers

and work the list. If a website doesn't list the Mazda6 application, get in touch with them and give them the P/N.

One online retailer they didn't list was: Shox.com. I've dealt with them before when I was hunting Bilsteins for our Dakota and they're pretty responsive to inquiries.

I also turned this up in about 30 seconds:

Mazda6 Bilsteins at Allshocks.com

$413.40 for the set, not including shipping.

Later,

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
well its tomorrow already!! lol any news? how much better would the bilsteins be than the tokico's avail for this car? are the bilsteins adjustable?

·
Registered
634 Posts
well its tomorrow already!! lol any news? how much better would the bilsteins be than the tokico's avail for this car? are the bilsteins adjustable?[/b]
1. Immeasurably. Bilsteins are miles ahead of Tokicos, and on the same level as Konis IMO. Some people would argue that bilsteins are better than konis due to their construction.

2. No they won't be adjustable.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
1. Immeasurably. Bilsteins are miles ahead of Tokicos, and on the same level as Konis IMO. Some people would argue that bilsteins are better than konis due to their construction.

2. No they won't be adjustable.[/b]

I'll second the quality of the Bilstiens. I'm running a specially valved set in my autocross Camaro and they're absolutely great. Half the price of Konis and every bit as good.

The problem with adjustable shocks is damn near none of us really know what the hell we're doing with the adjustments. 95% of the people with them get themselves in more trouble fiddling with the settings than they would be with a properly valved set of non-adjustable shocks.

I'm going to be in the front of the line for a set for my Mazda6, IMO the stock shocks are absolutely the weakest part of the car.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.