Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search of the forum and others have asked this question but there was no conclusions in the threads I found. I don't want to have a big sub box in the trunk and just want to improve the bass a bit over stock. I guess I could go with an 8" and an adaptor plate, but since the stock sub is 9" I'm hoping there may be enough clearance to mount a 10" with a riser, or the opening can be enlarged a bit to take a 10".

Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I did a search of the forum and others have asked this question but there was no conclusions in the threads I found. I don't want to have a big sub box in the trunk and just want to improve the bass a bit over stock. I guess I could go with an 8" and an adaptor plate, but since the stock sub is 9" I'm hoping there may be enough clearance to mount a 10" with a riser, or the opening can be enlarged a bit to take a 10".

Has anybody done this?
[/b]
I've been wondering the same thing.

If you can't fit a 10" sub above the rear deck with a spacer (and still fit the deck cover back on), you may be able to bottom mount a sub below the deck. You would probably need to fabricate an adapter ring to give a good mounting surface for the new subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing.

If you can't fit a 10" sub above the rear deck with a spacer (and still fit the deck cover back on), you may be able to bottom mount a sub below the deck. You would probably need to fabricate an adapter ring to give a good mounting surface for the new subwoofer.
[/b]
This has been tried a few times by other 6 owners and the problem is always vibration of the rear deck. Not to mention you have to find a sub that can run in free air (or infinate baffle, no box) AND match the impedence of the Bose amp. If you replace the Bose Amp you will definately have vibration issues because just about any aftermarket amp has tons more power than the bose. The stock amp is a joke, I could not belive how small and light it was when I pulled it out. It seems a simple swap would be the most logical, but experience has shown it creates more problems than it solves.
Look for a sub box combo that is not too big. There subs out there specifically designed to work in small enclosures, just do some reasearch and I think you will find a set up that doesn't rob you of too much trunk space.
Good luck

·
Registered
375 Posts
i would suggest this
keep the stock sub in place but remove the magnet ( as in keep it a a passive sub not an active sub

get a small sub and mount it in the side of the 1/4 panel (ive seen a few examples on here of some very high quality ork done at home of this exact setup) and get a nice small amp with a high level converter. run wires from your rear speakers into the amp and have a bass filled day

or you could go the complete opposite way and remove the bose sub completly and use that opening as a port of sorts to send the air out of the trunk and into the car

·
Registered
489 Posts
i would suggest this
keep the stock sub in place but remove the magnet ( as in keep it a a passive sub not an active sub
[/b]
Instead of hassling with removing the magnet, just unplug the speaker wires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts