Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother recently bought a Mazda5. His car does not have a factory sub (or the Bose system) but he would like to add some bottom end without taking up any cargo space. I told him about the spare tire subwoofer that comes with the Bose system on M6 hatches and wagons. He's very interested in seeing if one will fit into his spare tire, and if so, picking one up, possibly from a member in this forum, or off eBay.

Would somebody in the Vancouver area be willing to take some measurements, or even better, to meet somewhere to do an in-person car to car comparison? This way he could even have a listen (if you don't mind auditioning your system for him) and decide if it's a good way to go, and you could play audio critic and provide your opinion. My brother would be very grateful if somebody could do this.

Specific dimensions he's looking for are overall outside diameter and overall depth. A drawing with the external dimensions would be even better.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My 6 has one, I can take the measurements sometime this afternoon, my dad took the car to go golfing so I can't do it right now. I can't meet today, I have a bunch of stuff I have to get done.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If he wants to swing by my dealership I have no problem showing him some cars on my lot.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies! You guys rock! Art, he may take you up on the offer and drop by the dealership sometime to check one out.

Awong124, thanks for providing the dimensions. What's your opinion of this sub? Obviously it won't put out window rattling bass, but within the limits of it's design and intended application, does it perform fairly well? IE, does it add a bit of body to the bass, and extend the response further down without adding a lot of boominess? Is it fast, providing good definition, or does it just boom and resonate?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
To be perfectly honest I very rarely listen to the radio/stereo in the car, and I'm really not a stereo afficianado, so I can't tell the difference between a good or bad sub unless the sub is reeeaaally bad and the sound crackles. And I don't crank up the bass, so it doesn't really make a huge difference to me whether there's a sub in there or not.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is definitely a difference in the sound, you wont get as good sound out of the M5 with the sub as you would with the full Bose system. It might be worth his while to look into an aftermarket system, I know M6Roop can do a custom fiberglass encloser, but it dependes on how much he wants to spend and what he is looking for. My guess if he's looking for a little bit more body to the sound then a small sub with an amp would work fine.

P.S. what else are we suppose to do on a sunny sunday afternoon except hang out on the forums. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts