Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any 6 owners out there who have to park in an open air parking ramp on a daily basis? If so, perhaps you have some experience with this or anybody that has had this happen to them. The photo is of some water spots that showed up on the hood of my 6 one day. I assumed it was from water that dripped from the upper level of the parking ramp. We just had a stretch of a few warms days here in Wisconsin so stuff started to melt and everybody's car gets that white winter salty/shitty grime on everything. Anyway, this stuff just looked like it had dripped over night and I didn't think much until I tried to wash it off. This stuff DOES NOT want to come off. I washed my carat a brushless place twice but that didn't work. Now some stuff dripped right on my windshield the other day and that too will not come off. Any ideas on how I can get it off? Am I wrong in thinking this is just some stubborn ass salt/water combo? I tried scraping the stuff on the windshield with my fingernail and it comes off but it is very difficult. IN all fairness I did all of this in cold temps.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
skeet skeet

·
Registered
440 Posts
I thought you made friends with a pigeon that had an intestinal tract problem,lol

B

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Oh man! I can comiserate.

We don't have have road salt, but in the winter we have swarms of ugly ass grackles. Millions of them.

I parked at the Wells Fargo tower's garage to have lunch with wife downtown. When I came back I found that these nasty skyrats had a mass communal defecation on my car.

One of them apparently was radioactive or something because his crap burned a spot on my paint. It won't buff or polish out. It's burned in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had that problem before. Try some vinegar on the deposits.

QUOTE (Cracker @ Jan 29 2010, 05:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633073
Are there any 6 owners out there who have to park in an open air parking ramp on a daily basis? If so, perhaps you have some experience with this or anybody that has had this happen to them. The photo is of some water spots that showed up on the hood of my 6 one day. I assumed it was from water that dripped from the upper level of the parking ramp. We just had a stretch of a few warms days here in Wisconsin so stuff started to melt and everybody's car gets that white winter salty/shitty grime on everything. Anyway, this stuff just looked like it had dripped over night and I didn't think much until I tried to wash it off. This stuff DOES NOT want to come off. I washed my carat a brushless place twice but that didn't work. Now some stuff dripped right on my windshield the other day and that too will not come off. Any ideas on how I can get it off? Am I wrong in thinking this is just some stubborn ass salt/water combo? I tried scraping the stuff on the windshield with my fingernail and it comes off but it is very difficult. IN all fairness I did all of this in cold temps.
[/b]

·
Registered
676 Posts
yeah it could be that the minerals have actually etched a spot in ur paint, in which case you would probably need to use a buffer to get it out. But try the vinegar first like rx7turbo suggested

·
Registered
900 Posts
Probably some oxydation/rust in that water from the parking garage. Claybar! Soon!!! Will etch the clearcoat. Wax the hell out of the car when you are finished.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've always found that if you use something like Meguiar's Quik Detailer, usually produces pretty good results. Like everyone else is saying, once that's stuff off of there, make sure to claybar as soon as possible, use some paint cleaner after if you're still seeing any signs of your clearcoat or paint being distorted due to it, then wax it asap. Two thin coats will do wonders so you hopefully won't have this happen again. Good luck!

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
Why do people waste their money on cars washes? Two things. 1) If you aren't touching it, it isn't coming off. 2) If you are using a carwash that touches your car, it will scratch it up good. What does this mean? Invest in your money in a bucket, good soap and a good wash mitt. Just a few minutes of your time and it is cleaned right. This is the only way to clean your car. In the winter if you live where it is cold, take your own bucket, soap and mitt to the quarter machines with high pressure warm water. Rinse the car, fill your bucket and wash by hand, rinse again and dry. It's clean and doesn't take long at all. Your paint will last much longer and shed stains much better.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (jmhinkle @ Feb 8 2010, 01:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635461
Why do people waste their money on cars washes? Two things. 1) If you aren't touching it, it isn't coming off. 2) If you are using a carwash that touches your car, it will scratch it up good. What does this mean? Invest in your money in a bucket, good soap and a good wash mitt. Just a few minutes of your time and it is cleaned right. This is the only way to clean your car. In the winter if you live where it is cold, take your own bucket, soap and mitt to the quarter machines with high pressure warm water. Rinse the car, fill your bucket and wash by hand, rinse again and dry. It's clean and doesn't take long at all. Your paint will last much longer and shed stains much better.[/b]

I couldn't agree more :yesnod:

Everytime I think of using an automated carwash, I just think of getting a towel wet with some sort of soap of unknown origin, rubbing it all over a filthy SUV, and then slapping the hell out of my paint with this dirty towel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE (Cracker @ Jan 28 2010, 09:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633073
[/b]
Use steam on the spot from a portable machine ask a friend for one,rent or (buy and return). In my case the bird sh##! comes out then Wax,WAx,WAX.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Microbio @ Feb 9 2010, 07:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635693
Use steam on the spot from a portable machine ask a friend for one,rent or (buy and return). In my case the bird sh##! comes out then Wax,WAx,WAX.[/b]
I know exactly what you mean. I use them at work a lot. Thanks for the advice. I just have to find a warm place to clean this stuff off with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of good suggestions. I will have to look into the steamer as well as the vinegar idea.
I have never used an automated washer nor will I ever. Wand washes are the best that I can do given the current climate. It is hand washing all the time, every time in the Fall/Summer. Always has, always will.
As far as suggesting washing in Winter in Wisconsin by hand goes....uhh thats more dangerous than it is funny. I understand the thought process but the reality is far, far different. 25 degrees currently and this is a warm spell. Low teens to negatives are par. When the water freezes to the front of the car before you can get to the back, sticking your hand in a bucket of water (warm or not) is the last thing you will have on your mind. I know..I've tried.

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
Read my post again about washing in the winter. I lived in Cleveland for 21 years and know how to wash a car in the winter without it freezing up. Most of those hand wash pressure wash places use hot water to avoid freezing issues so people can wash the salt and slop off in the winter.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry this maybe late, but I figure by now, you must have gotten all that stuff off. Once it is off, you should put a sealer wax on your finish, by doing that, the next time a bomb drops, can be rinsed off. I have an 04 6S and my finish still looks great! I park it outside during work by Metro train route. Definitely get lots of uv and rail dust. But because of the sealer, all this stuff comes off usually just driving home. I also put the sealer wax on my wife's CX-9 and my 3 friend's Speed3,05 6i. Not to mention an assorment of other cars like 944,2 Hondas, Corollas, Camry.
The sealer wax only last 6 mon but I extend that slightly longer by adding a quick detailer each time I wash the car (every other week).

·
Registered
265 Posts
A buddy of mine at work had this same issue a few weeks ago, and I was able to remove the spots w/ claybar, and then threw some wax on it. Be carefull where you park from now on, and check the ceiling for cracks and water marks. Also, typically the water drips by the beams the most, so try to avoid those if possible. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a Mazda 6 for my daughter. It had some white spots the right front door, and window. It wouldn't come off with washing, and even buffing with an random orbit buffer. I then tried a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge. It's amazing, the thing works like...Magic.
No I don't have stock in Mr. Clean, but the way this thing works, I should get some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts