Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be passing my 2015 6 down to my son so I'm starting to look at what's next. Mazda is still selling the 2018 model in 2019, which is... odd. Makes me wonder, will there be a 2019 6? Or will the next one be a Gen 4 2020? The only rumors/news I've found online, though, are from the clickbait websites with algorithmically generated fake articles about upcoming car models.

I know the newer 6 has quite a few upgrades from my 2015 -- turbo, nicer interior, quieter, non-horrible entertainment system -- but it's still basically the same car overall. I have to think a 6 with some real technology improvements (and hopefully an AWD option like they're releasing for the 2019 Mazda 3) isn't too far down the road. I'd hate to sink money into the same platform mid-year only to find a significantly improved model released a few months down the line.

I know car companies are super-secretive about future models to avoid hurting sales of the current crop, but it feels weird I haven't seen any spy shots, concepts, rumors, etc. about a a replacement for the Gen 3 6 yet...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Funny I noticed today that they were still selling the 2018 Mazda 6 in 2019, which is weird. Not sure what’s up with that or if I missed something.

The new 6 is definitely nicer. I have a 2014. But I don’t see anything that would make me definitely want to upgrade. I’d probably wait a year for the new one that’s like a bigger 3 (hopefully).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't see a brand new version coming out until 2021, usually it's 3 years after a re-fresh.

But didn't they refresh the CX-5 for 2016 for the redesigned one to come out for the 2017 model year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am close to buying a 6 myself and have been holding off for the 2019 model year. I talked to a Mazda rep at the Chicago Auto Show and they told me that the production has been delayed due to a flood that took out the service road to the plant. I also hinted at AWD on the 6 and they said it’s been discussed but they couldn’t confirm or deny it. I think Mazda could add it to the 6 with out a complete redesign. I’m very happy with the current 6 so I’m not too worried about the next gen I just don’t really want to buy a brand new 2018 in 2019. I’m sure not much will change. On sale date for the 2019 model year should be April from what I was told.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't see a brand new version coming out until 2021, usually it's 3 years after a re-fresh.

See this is the problem though. Currently it's only a facelift to what is still the 3rd gen mazda6. Since 2019 is now gen 4 mazda3, the rest of the vehicle lines will need to follow suit, but to wait an additional 2 years for a gen 4 mazda6 makes no sense since that'll already be roughly half way through the gen 4 mazda3's lifecycle historically speaking. My prediction is 2020 gen 4 mazda6 at earliest, and 2021 at latest since it seems like the Mazda vehicle gen refresh roadmap is all over the place.

·
Registered
243 Posts
See this is the problem though. Currently it's only a facelift to what is still the 3rd gen mazda6. Since 2019 is now gen 4 mazda3, the rest of the vehicle lines will need to follow suit, but to wait an additional 2 years for a gen 4 mazda6 makes no sense since that'll already be roughly half way through the gen 4 mazda3's lifecycle historically speaking. My prediction is 2020 gen 4 mazda6 at earliest, and 2021 at latest since it seems like the Mazda vehicle gen refresh roadmap is all over the place.

I am thinking the same thing.
I was in a 2019 3 last week and I couldn't believe how impressive it was. The new 6, whenever it shows up, should be equally or more impressive. Even the door chime in the newest 3 sounded "premium" (same sound/chimes as BMW uses).

Anywho, with the impressive changes to the 2019 3's, the new 6 is going to be more than worth the wait, I'd say.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Yeah well that "impressive" comes with an equally-impressive price bump, so whether its worth it will remain the question.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a "Ford" and drop the 6 in favor of adding the CX-4 and or CX-8 to the US market.
After a slight blip in 2015 sale have pretty much nose dived.

From Wiki

Year US Sales Canadian Sales
2014 53,224 3,023
2015 57,898 2,703
2016 45,520 2,053
2017 33,402 2,541

According to AutoBlog 2018 sales in the US as of June were slightly higher than 2017 at the same time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sedans aren't selling but I would have a hard time believing they would cut the 6 out of the lineup. I would be really disappointed if they did that. I also sat in a new Mazda 3 and it is excellent. There are things I prefer with it over the 6 however viewing them side by side I really think the 6 is a sharper vehicle. Mazda just needs to release the 2019 MY already and I would be at the dealer ordering one.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
My problem with the "3" is that at the time I bought my "6" they wanted MORE MONEY for the "3" in an equivalent trim AND it had the "burnt toast" audio/display system, so I could not upgrade or change it.

The 3 hatch (IMHO a decent compromise between a sedan and a CUV) was even MORE money (and not a couple hundred bucks either.)

The CX-5 was obnoxiously de-contented in the only offer with a stick (*rubber* steering wheel, only the 2.0L engine, etc) *and* more money than the "6".

Pay more, get materially less. Pass.

Now they're "doing it" even worse in that the MTX option has been deleted from the sport models. I didn't buy a stick to save money, I bought it because I prefer it and get at the same time improved driveline reliability and, over the long term, MUCH lower operating cost since the gearbox ITSELF has a near-zero risk of catastrophic failure even over ridiculous (e.g. 500k) mileage. Which clutches do (eventually) wear out they're a heck of a lot cheaper than transmissions. Since I tend to put 30+k miles per YEAR on my vehicles all of this matters, and quickly.

I really like my "6" but I'm not a brand fanboi. When the time comes to replace my 6 Sport if Mazda tries to back me into a corner on the value proposition I'll buy something else. Manufacturers that take that sort of approach to "customer relations" deserve a big fat middle finger in response, and from me they'll get one too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Found this on the lemon-aid website, Automobile Protection Association | 2018 Lemon Aid New Car Reviews - Mid-size

"The car has generally been reliable. However, the new cylinder shut off system on the normally aspirated 2.5L four is unproven and previous Mazda turbo efforts have been unsuccessful in the hands of owners. Mazdas generally develop a few more problems than similar cars from Honda, Hyundai or Toyota. Unlimited mileage warranties and a seven year warranty for rust perforation."

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My problem with the "3" is that at the time I bought my "6" they wanted MORE MONEY for the "3" in an equivalent trim AND it had the "burnt toast" audio/display system, so I could not upgrade or change it.

The 3 hatch (IMHO a decent compromise between a sedan and a CUV) was even MORE money (and not a couple hundred bucks either.)

The CX-5 was obnoxiously de-contented in the only offer with a stick (*rubber* steering wheel, only the 2.0L engine, etc) *and* more money than the "6".

Pay more, get materially less. Pass.

Now they're "doing it" even worse in that the MTX option has been deleted from the sport models. I didn't buy a stick to save money, I bought it because I prefer it and get at the same time improved driveline reliability and, over the long term, MUCH lower operating cost since the gearbox ITSELF has a near-zero risk of catastrophic failure even over ridiculous (e.g. 500k) mileage. Which clutches do (eventually) wear out they're a heck of a lot cheaper than transmissions. Since I tend to put 30+k miles per YEAR on my vehicles all of this matters, and quickly.

I really like my "6" but I'm not a brand fanboi. When the time comes to replace my 6 Sport if Mazda tries to back me into a corner on the value proposition I'll buy something else. Manufacturers that take that sort of approach to "customer relations" deserve a big fat middle finger in response, and from me they'll get one too.
I feel ya, but we're going to be disregarded victims of trends. The sad fact is less than 6% of the general public in the US voices a desire for a manual. Too hard to hold your phone and your coffee while trying to operate a vehicle I suppose. With manufacturers trying to cut down on variations and trying to minimize trim packages to shave costs, I don't see manuals getting any attention outside of a muscle car.

You also have to look at the Big 3 automakers in the US severely curtailing their sedan models. Chevrolet will only have the Malibu, Camaro and Corvette left. Buick will have only the Regal (which shares the Epsilon II chassis with the Malibu). Cadillac might come out with the CT4 (again, based on the Epsilon II chassis). Ford will only have the Mustang. Chrysler will have the Challenger and Charger/300 twins. Personally, I think it's going to bite them in the ass hard when the next gas crisis comes (and it will come).

·
Registered
732 Posts
Who knows, all these rumors from it being RWD, a Coupe and another design refresh is anyone's guess, we will find out by the end of this year or early 2020 on what the 2020 or 2021 Mazda 6 will look like. Either way I have cash in hand to throw away if it becomes a coupe, lol.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I feel ya, but we're going to be disregarded victims of trends. The sad fact is less than 6% of the general public in the US voices a desire for a manual. Too hard to hold your phone and your coffee while trying to operate a vehicle I suppose. With manufacturers trying to cut down on variations and trying to minimize trim packages to shave costs, I don't see manuals getting any attention outside of a muscle car.

You also have to look at the Big 3 automakers in the US severely curtailing their sedan models. Chevrolet will only have the Malibu, Camaro and Corvette left. Buick will have only the Regal (which shares the Epsilon II chassis with the Malibu). Cadillac might come out with the CT4 (again, based on the Epsilon II chassis). Ford will only have the Mustang. Chrysler will have the Challenger and Charger/300 twins. Personally, I think it's going to bite them in the ass hard when the next gas crisis comes (and it will come).

Difference is that the newer SUV's aren't truck based gas pigs.

For example, CX5 and 6 there isn't that much difference in gas consumption.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Difference is that the newer SUV's aren't truck based gas pigs.

For example, CX5 and 6 there isn't that much difference in gas consumption.

I don't want to go too far off base, but there is an inherent irony with SUVs. SUVs are thought to be safer, but they can actually be less safe due to their higher center of gravity. Maybe that's part of the reason you have propaganda like this going around now about pedestrian deaths being on the rise due to SUVs. It's not the vehicle, it's the moron driving it that's causing the spike. Higher center of gravity affects, among other things, stopping distances. Yeah, it might be compact but it will still take longer to stop.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
So back on track here. I don't forsee an all-new 6 model until 2021. Right now, I think their priority is rolling out SkyActiv X for the Mazda 3 and making sure the market will accept it. What I do believe is that when 2021 does roll around and the next gen 6 comes out, there won't be a SkyActiv G option (assuming the X is a success).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, 2019's very incremental: G-Vector Control Plus, some of the high-end equipment drops into the lower models, and the manual's gone after they murdered it by limiting it to the base models.

So now I get to decide: 30AE Miata RF (most fun, least practical), 2019 3 (AWD sounds really nice), or 2019 6 (most comfortable, and I love my 2015 so a modernized one would be fine.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, 2019's very incremental: G-Vector Control Plus, some of the high-end equipment drops into the lower models, and the manual's gone after they murdered it by limiting it to the base models.

So now I get to decide: 30AE Miata RF (most fun, least practical), 2019 3 (AWD sounds really nice), or 2019 6 (most comfortable, and I love my 2015 so a modernized one would be fine.)
I like bigger cars and the turbo motor so the 6 would be the car for me, on the high end. If I was getting the non-turbo 6, I'd take a serious look at the new 3. The new infotainment, key fob, new center console, and updated switch gear would entice me more than AWD with the 3. Unless you live in places with poor weather, I wouldn't bother with the extra maintenance expense of having AWD. AWD on a 6 would be more worth it with the 2.5T to better put down the massive amount of torque, but AWD is not offered on the 6 yet.

A Miata would have to be a secondary weekend car for me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts