Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone. Well my pops just gave me his old 2002 Mazda 6 he no longer needed. I dont need it either and knownthe trade in/sale price isnt nothing so I want to turn it into a project. I have the engine out right to replace motor mounts and figured I could more before putting it back in. Just looking for suggestions for giving it a nice boost preferably with sites and references I could check out. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Which model do you have, the i4 or the V6? They vary drastically with what you can work on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Probably want to replace the PCV valve if it hasn't been done already. 🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol. Was acutally looking at some forums and seen a few issues with them. I plan on replacing a few parts including some lines and harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
With the V6, unfortunately for adding power, there isn't too much you can do without spending quite a bit of money.

The thing that the V6 REALLY wants is more air. Better intake (don't forget to get one with a bypass so your MAF doesn't freak out), larger throttle body, upgraded exhaust, eventually better headers. All that will net you a decent amount, but whether its worth the cost is your call.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How about a turbo? Not many people have done it and as far as I know there are no aftermarket kits for it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whats up everyone. Well my pops just gave me his old 2002 Mazda 6 he no longer needed. I dont need it either and knownthe trade in/sale price isnt nothing so I want to turn it into a project. I have the engine out right to replace motor mounts and figured I could more before putting it back in. Just looking for suggestions for giving it a nice boost preferably with sites and references I could check out. Thanks.
Sell it. How much could you sell it for? Say you could get $2000 out of it. If someone came up to you and offered to sell one to you for $2000 would you buy it? If not, then sell it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you're just looking for some cheap mods I've noticed what seems like a decent torque gain by doing these things to my 07 3.0
- completely gutted the exhaust, removed the CAT under the car gutted the pre-cats removed all of the OE mufflers/resonator
-installed a 4" round straight through MagnaFlow muffler
- deleted the EGR tube
- deleted the TB coolant lines
- added a CAI
I would also suggest a tuner but I've come to the conclusion that one does not exist for the V6
Also did some general maintenance coils/plugs fresh fluids etc.
If you're looking for massive power gains unfortunately as @Byakuya said you will have to spend a fair amount of money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
bluedevil6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing