Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about a MS6 and I was wondering if there were any past Audi B5 S4 owners who now have a MS6 and what their impression is of the MS6 vs. B5 S4????

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I believe Ferris owned one...I know there are more just cannot remember

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am thinking about a MS6 and I was wondering if there were any past Audi B5 S4 owners who now have a MS6 and what their impression is of the MS6 vs. B5 S4????
[/b]
My father has owned an Imola Yellow 2000 S4 since 2001. It is a very nice ride. What is my impression of the two?
First thing I notice is that the driver's seat in the MS6 is more comfortable. I always had a problem getting the seat back comfortable in the S4. Interior room is greater in the MS6. With me in the front of the S4, only someone under 5-5 and 130 lbs can sit behind me. In the MS6 I have had people up to 6-2 and 230 lbs behind me and they were very comfy. The S4 is honestly kind of cramped inside. I am 6-2 to 6-3 and 200 lbs.
Power delivery is a little different. I think the S4 is more linear in the way it delivers power, the MS6 is more of a rush. With the APR stage 1 chip in the S4, it then gives the same rush I get from the MS6. The ride in the S4 is a little more harsh on everyday trips. Could be age, and it could just be the way it is setup from Audi. The shifter in the MS6 has a shorter throw and is not as sloppy. The brakes on the S4 are still, to this day, awesome. Real touchy, but they stop from any speed... quickly. The MS6 brakes are nice, but not on the same level as the S4. Fit and finish is a little better in the S4. Then again, we are comparing a car, that if you allow for inflation, would be 48-50K today to a car that is 32500 today, before rebates. Things like fit and finish are going to be expected to be lesser.
Hope that helps...

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My father has owned an Imola Yellow 2000 S4 since 2001. It is a very nice ride. What is my impression of the two?
First thing I notice is that the driver's seat in the MS6 is more comfortable. I always had a problem getting the seat back comfortable in the S4. Interior room is greater in the MS6. With me in the front of the S4, only someone under 5-5 and 130 lbs can sit behind me. In the MS6 I have had people up to 6-2 and 230 lbs behind me and they were very comfy. The S4 is honestly kind of cramped inside. I am 6-2 to 6-3 and 200 lbs.
Power delivery is a little different. I think the S4 is more linear in the way it delivers power, the MS6 is more of a rush. With the APR stage 1 chip in the S4, it then gives the same rush I get from the MS6. The ride in the S4 is a little more harsh on everyday trips. Could be age, and it could just be the way it is setup from Audi. The shifter in the MS6 has a shorter throw and is not as sloppy. The brakes on the S4 are still, to this day, awesome. Real touchy, but they stop from any speed... quickly. The MS6 brakes are nice, but not on the same level as the S4. Fit and finish is a little better in the S4. Then again, we are comparing a car, that if you allow for inflation, would be 48-50K today to a car that is 32500 today, before rebates. Things like fit and finish are going to be expected to be lesser.
Hope that helps...
Thanks,
Jason
[/b]

Thanks. So, I'm guessing a fairly close comparison unless you're carting around a basketball team on a regular basis :laugh:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I owned a 2000 Audi S4. Bought it used with ~45,000 miles and sold it last summer with ~95,000 miles. I really loved driving the car, but absolutely hated NOT driving it. Unfortunately, the latter was becomming the case fairly often, with various parts breaking and requiring long times to fix. Owning such a fun car made driving crappy rental cars that much more painful.

As for a comparison to the MS6:

The 2.7L twin turbo V-6 definately had a flatter torque curve. The torque came on very low (peak torque was at 1850rpm), and only dropped off a small bit by redline. The 2.3L in the MS6 definately has a more "peaky" torque curve. Obviously, the smaller engine won't be able to make the same low-end torque. For regular street driving, I think the S4 was a little nicer to drive because of the flatter torque curve.

In terms of all-out acceleration, both cars are pretty comprable. The MS6 *should* be a bit faster, as it is supposed to make 24hp more, and weighs about the same. The S4 did have a bit lower gearing, so I would guess a 1/4 mile race would probably come down to driver ability.

I like the Mazda transmission better. The gear ratios are spaced just right, and the shifting is consistent. The Audi tranmissions were nice when they were working well, but have reliablity problems. The 2nd gear synchronizer in the 2000 S4s was known to seize up. My S4 got bit by this and I spent 5 weeks driving a shitty Ford Focus rental while shelling out $5000 in repairs :swearin: . The transmission was never smooth after that debacle either. Obviously, the MS6 hasn't been out long enough to know for sure how the transmission will hold up (especially when people add mods and start making big power). Hopefully, we will all have better luck than I had with my Audi.

The Audi did have a little nicer interior. The quality of materials seemed better to me, and some of the comfort features were pretty nice. Of course, the MSRP was $10k more than the MS6. Throw in six years of inflation, and the price difference would definately lead one to expect a nicer interior in the Audi.

The 2.7T certainly had potential for decent power. With a chip alone, power went from 250hp to 315hp. Add exhaust, downpipe, and a K04 turbo upgrade, and reliable 420+hp on pump gas was a piece of cake. With 100 octane and open headers, 550hp at the crank was achievable. As the aftermarket for the MS6 is still so young, we'll need to be patient to see what kind of power potential the MS6 2.3L motor will have.

Personally, I think the MS6 is a much better value than the B5 Audi S4. I would say the MS6 is 90% of the car at 50% of the price. Factor in the reliablity reputations of Audi vs. Mazda, and I'd take the Mazda every time. The worst thing about owning a nice, fun car is not being able to drive it when it breaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I owned a 2000 Audi S4. Bought it used with ~45,000 miles and sold it last summer with ~95,000 miles. I really loved driving the car, but absolutely hated NOT driving it. Unfortunately, the latter was becomming the case fairly often, with various parts breaking and requiring long times to fix. Owning such a fun car made driving crappy rental cars that much more painful.

As for a comparison to the MS6:

The 2.7L twin turbo V-6 definately had a flatter torque curve. The torque came on very low (peak torque was at 1850rpm), and only dropped off a small bit by redline. The 2.3L in the MS6 definately has a more "peaky" torque curve. Obviously, the smaller engine won't be able to make the same low-end torque. For regular street driving, I think the S4 was a little nicer to drive because of the flatter torque curve.

In terms of all-out acceleration, both cars are pretty comprable. The MS6 *should* be a bit faster, as it is supposed to make 24hp more, and weighs about the same. The S4 did have a bit lower gearing, so I would guess a 1/4 mile race would probably come down to driver ability.

I like the Mazda transmission better. The gear ratios are spaced just right, and the shifting is consistent. The Audi tranmissions were nice when they were working well, but have reliablity problems. The 2nd gear synchronizer in the 2000 S4s was known to seize up. My S4 got bit by this and I spent 5 weeks driving a shitty Ford Focus rental while shelling out $5000 in repairs :swearin: . The transmission was never smooth after that debacle either. Obviously, the MS6 hasn't been out long enough to know for sure how the transmission will hold up (especially when people add mods and start making big power). Hopefully, we will all have better luck than I had with my Audi.

The Audi did have a little nicer interior. The quality of materials seemed better to me, and some of the comfort features were pretty nice. Of course, the MSRP was $10k more than the MS6. Throw in six years of inflation, and the price difference would definately lead one to expect a nicer interior in the Audi.

The 2.7T certainly had potential for decent power. With a chip alone, power went from 250hp to 315hp. Add exhaust, downpipe, and a K04 turbo upgrade, and reliable 420+hp on pump gas was a piece of cake. With 100 octane and open headers, 550hp at the crank was achievable. As the aftermarket for the MS6 is still so young, we'll need to be patient to see what kind of power potential the MS6 2.3L motor will have.

Personally, I think the MS6 is a much better value than the B5 Audi S4. I would say the MS6 is 90% of the car at 50% of the price. Factor in the reliablity reputations of Audi vs. Mazda, and I'd take the Mazda every time. The worst thing about owning a nice, fun car is not being able to drive it when it breaks.
[/b]
Thanks. Points well made.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Personally, I think the MS6 is a much better value than the B5 Audi S4. I would say the MS6 is 90% of the car at 50% of the price.
[/b]
That's some great wording.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's some great wording.
[/b]
I miss my 01 S4 so much. Althought the my MS6 is fast, awd etc. The audi was just so much more refined, better ride quality, fit and finish. But, the audi was a 40k car....

If you can afford it, get a used 04 S with less than 30k miles. Otherwise, if you have to go new, then get the MS6.

JMHO...

·
Registered
46 Posts
[/b]
I had a 2000 S4, I agree with most of the other posts. The MS6 is a larger inside, the s4's suede inserts in the leather seats was a nine touch (keep you from sliding). Lots of problems, leaks in the turbo plumbing one day driving a S4 the next its a A4. Was in the dealer for repairs about once a mounth, all covered, sold it after 65000 mi. Scared of the turbos breaking. Blades breaking, oil seal (pumps oil into exhaust). Must take out engine to replace turbos, must do both at same time, replace full exhaust including converters if oil saturated.
Still I missed it everyday until I got the MS6. MS6 has a little less understear. I now miss my MS6 because I had it flashed ands its not the same car. I liked the torque coming on with a bang at 3000 rpm, not smooth at 4000+ rpm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a 98.5 A4 that was upgraded to an APR Stage III system. It made 280 hp on pump gas and was a blast. The car was amazing to drive and was much more nimble than the S4 due to the lighter weight. When it came time to replace the Audi, the MS6 was the obvious choice. The MS6 is not as nimble as the A4 but still handles well. The power on the MS6 is more in your face and is lots of fun around town. I like both cars and enjoy the MS6 for what it is. I never did like dealing with the Audi service department and the AC was never up to par with comparable cars.
Brett

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/62388/a4.jpg

·
Registered
820 Posts
same here, i had a stage 2.5 S4, great car, but the fear of a $7000 turbo job was just too much for me to deal with for too long. I like the economy of a turbo 4 as well. The sleeper factor of the S4 was phenomenal be then again, it was the number 1 stolen car here in Jersey. My insurance was through the roof. On the other hand, they don't even know what a MS6 is so I'm cool with the car thieves and insurance is much more manageable. For the price the performance and package of the MS6 is pretty much impossible to beat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
[/b]
This was exactly what I was suspecting when I purchased my MS6 and it is nice to have this validated by someone who has owned both cars. Great summary.

R

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro with Koni's Eibach sport springs and chipped 1.8t. Bought the Audi new for $27K and Spent $2200 on suspension and chip.

The Audi was better built and handled better. The car even with the chip wasnt quite as fast as the MS6, but it still was very entertaining.

I felt like the Audi was a better value overall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts