Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Late to the party but I'm still here periodically. Bought my speed in September 2006 and I have a little over 42,000 miles on it. So far, a new thermostat, a busted window motor on the passenger side, and the drainage holes in the door clogging up are my only problems. Hell I'm still on original brakes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also late to the party... 2007 purchased new. Just hit 70,000 miles. Only upgrades are CAI and muffler delete. Only problems were clicking noise left front (had axle nut replaced) , a right front wheel bearing and new frt brake pads. Just have the oil and filter changed 3-4K miles... Still trying to find a way to get the 3M clear bra off the hood. cracking from Florida UV rays started last year. Pic is from a few years ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Also late to the party... 2007 purchased new. Just hit 70,000 miles. Only upgrades are CAI and muffler delete. Only problems were clicking noise left front (had axle nut replaced) , a right front wheel bearing and new frt brake pads. Just have the oil and filter changed 3-4K miles... Still trying to find a way to get the 3M clear bra off the hood. cracking from Florida UV rays started last year. Pic is from a few years ago...
She needs more mods!

·
Registered
6 Posts
An old 76 year old guy here. I have had my share of performance cars through the years. With this one I still get the urge to nail it when the mood strikes me, love pushing it around curves. Had it up to 135 way back in 2009 while playing with a black BMW, had 4 pipes out the back so I guess it was an M6. If it was, they put out about 500HP. I had fun going back and forth with the guy for some miles. Worried about getting a serious ticket, I pulled the hand brake to keep the brake lights off slowing to speed limit. BMW driver probably wondered what kind of car I was driving pulling that hard over 100 MPH.
Bought my Speed 6 in December of 2007. It was the last one in the city where I live. Ironically it was equipped perfect, it's a Black GT, it's still straight stock and has 56K on the clock and only second set of tires. I went one size over on the tires when replaced. Installed VDO vacuum/boost gauge from the turbo car I built in 1980. I also replaced the taillights with Spider light tint units--look great. They are what the factory should have installed making the car look much newer then it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2006 ms6 which I bought after 14 yrs of owning my mx6 gt.. I love this car and am so sad that I cannot get the next generation of this car. I cannot find another car that is fun to drive.. So I guess I have no choice but to tweak mod this car. It's a stock ms6 awd gt.. Anyone have any suggestions?

What would be ideal is to find some local mechanic with a similar passion for the car who can work on making it current.. Any such shop in long island, NY?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice to see this post. My Black 2007 MS6GT, as of 11/2018 has 56,575 miles, bought brand new. When new, my neighbor had a beautiful red Jack Roush 2007 supercharged Mustang. We talked about fast car stuff, with my all wheel drive we thought I could maybe take him in first and half way through second but after that it would be his fading tail lights for sure. His supercharged V8 had nearly twice the power as mine so no real contest, just guy talk back and forth. He took his Mustang to the Atlanta International race track and had lots of fun but burnt up his back brakes slowing it down for the curves. Mr Roush gave the car lots of advertised power but lacked stopping power.
No mods for my car, just replaced things that normally wear out, tires once and battery once. Plugs but didn't need replacing, they were part of trouble shooting an issue with the car since 2010. Also removed and reinstalled the EGR valve for cleaning. A new valve is $550.
I have read keep the RPM above 3,000 to prevent engine jerking. Mazda does not instruct it's owners to drive that way and would be ridiculous to do so, who would buy a car like that? So there is something wrong with the cars that do this including mine. At 25,000, 3 very violent and rapid jerks occured during a very slow lane change on the interstate going about 60 MPH in 6th gear in 2010. Sounded like (metallic clang sound) steel coil springs being hit. The only thing I can think of is the violent jerking action caused the clutch pressure plate coil springs to ring. After that the car never ran the same. Dealer was clueless during many visits, two Mazda tech guys were clueless. They never replaced one part to try to fix the car! Slowly accelerating sometimes felt like a fish nibbling at your fishing line for the fishermen out there. The engine had more jerks through the years but never that violent again. After that incident I had a nervous gas pedal foot ready to release. I never a ck eng lite. After doing considerable reading on the forums years ago, owners came up with different fixes, the water temp bulb or the O2 sensor. The water temp bulb at operating temperature switches to injector closed loop and a leaner mixture for part power cruising. The O2 sensor seemed more of a possibility since it adjusts the injector fuel delivery. I approached the dealer in May, 2016 which was way past the warranty to replace the O2 sensor which incidentally for this car is close to $200. They agreed and furnished me a rental car. So once again without knowing how to fix the car they finally did something but did not fix the car!
Frustrated I took the next logical step and I replaced the coils with new Ford coils. That made a noticeable difference but the car still isn't cured. The engine still feels like it is holding back but at least drives decent enough.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts