Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if there were any other original Mazdaspeed6 owners out there?

Next month will mark my 10 years of ownership when I purchased new over Memorial Day weekend in 2007. I can't believe this car is 10 years old; I actually still enjoy driving it every day.

There's about 74K miles on it and there's been barely any issues (knocks on wood).

I've only had to replace the low horn, power steering cooler and HP fuel pump (as good measure under warranty). Currently, the AC line seems to be leaking and haven't found a source for replacement.

I've had to clean out the EGR valve piping once and pretty much have only replaced fluids, spark plugs, tires, brakes and rotors. Otherwise, the car never leaked, ate oil or blew smoke.

Been wondering as of late if I should move on before any serious repairs are necessary and there are a lack of available parts. I could pretty much can do any repair work myself, but do have limited free time to do it. Plus, I need every day reliability.

There's really nothing out there that excites me as a daily driver with good power, in a manual transmission and within a reasonable price range. The cars I would be interested would probably be in the $40K+ region. But to be honest, if I were going to spend that much, I would probably put it towards a 2nd Viper.

Curious as to what other long time owners have thought.

I actually took it to the AutoX track for the first time last Fall...Holy body roll!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Wow, that's a long haul with the speed. 10 years and counting - hope she has another 10 in her for you!

@TiGraySpeed6 recently (maybe 8 months ago) sold his, but I think @2006_MS6 has his since day one and he's still around.

If not, I'm sure they know a few guys/gals who have had their speeds since day one.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Good on ya for taking the ol' lady out to an auto-x! It's great fun to watch people freak out when they realize how quick they are :) That body roll isn't so much a problem with the awesome double wishbone suspension- camber angles stay true with the turn & lean, so once you get the handle of flicking the body weight from side to side and loading up the outside you can get some crazy traction. The kind of stuff you just don't get from a McSuck suspension...

It took me a while to decide on a replacement, but I remain very pleased with my choice. Still, if I didn't have to give up the Speed I'd still be in it for sure! Back & hip issues forced me into an auto trans :(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's a long haul with the speed. 10 years and counting - hope she has another 10 in her for you!

TiGraySpeed6 recently (maybe 8 months ago) sold his, but I think has his since day one and he's still around.

If not, I'm sure they know a few guys/gals who have had their speeds since day one.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Good on ya for taking the ol' lady out to an auto-x! It's great fun to watch people freak out when they realize how quick they are :) That body roll isn't so much a problem with the awesome double wishbone suspension- camber angles stay true with the turn & lean, so once you get the handle of flicking the body weight from side to side and loading up the outside you can get some crazy traction. The kind of stuff you just don't get from a McSuck suspension...

It took me a while to decide on a replacement, but I remain very pleased with my choice. Still, if I didn't have to give up the Speed I'd still be in it for sure! Back & hip issues forced me into an auto trans :(
I was probably just more used to AutoXing / Tracking my Viper which really hugs the curves :)

You know, thinking about it, you're right. I don't need to give up the Speed for any reason. At the end of the day, I'm only paying insurance and semi-annual registration.

Was just popping around on the old interwebs and saw a lease ad for a new Jeep Wrangler 6 speed with a pretty attractive lease rate. Perhaps, I could get rid of my rust bucket Dakota and take out a lease on a bare bones Wrangler or something like that. Those cars would seem like they're interesting to drive. Plus, I'm still 50/50 on getting rid of the Talon. I wouldn't mind a line up of a MS6, Wrangler and Viper for a combined total of 18 manual gears. Guess I hadn't thought of that perspective.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

@TiGraySpeed6 recently (maybe 8 months ago) sold his, but I think @2006_MS6 has his since day one and he's still around.

I'm the 2nd owner of mine, but this is my 2nd MS6. I've had this one for over 4 years so far.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I still have mine... almost 9 years of ownership. I bought it from a dealership in July 2008 - it was one of their demo cars. Mine's still healthy and I track it multiple times during the summer.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

Having had my 1st MS6 then a 335xi then sold that for my 1st C6 Vette then back into an MS6 I can't blame you.

If prices were the same, I may sell my MS6 for another 335, but since I know the history of my MS6 and knowing it's got no issues, I'll keep it for now. :wink2:Just need to grab the local BNR turbo I am looking at once the guy gets it off his car. 0:) I'm more focused on what will replace the C6Z I sold last month. I may finally get my dream car next...65-67 Chevelle. May as well just get it out of my system. :grin2::grin2:

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
I thought about a 3 series quite a bit, but wanted smaller. I was darn close to doing a Cayman but bang for the buck the 135 had everything on my list, over and above the 335. I do miss AWD, and after 9 years in the Speed, and several years before that in an Audi, making the change from AWD to RWD has been a monster learning curve. Doubly so with the DSC and the open rear diff fighting with each other to save my life... I soooo want a LSD rear diff, but today at least that's further than I want to go.

And the intelligence- wow this thing makes the Speed ECU look like it was set up by an autistic child. It took me forever to get over the coding learning curve, and I'm amazed at what can be done.

I could spend forever talking about my 135, but, honestly, *if I could do it* I'd still be in the Speed6. I miss that thing every day. Mine was well sorted and stupid fast- fun and entertaining, it was like a puppy, always left me smiling and always wanted to go faster. Sadly it also left me hurting every time I got out of it :(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have mine... almost 9 years of ownership. I bought it from a dealership in July 2008 - it was one of their demo cars. Mine's still healthy and I track it multiple times during the summer.

That's awesome! Glad to hear it's being tracked and still healthy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up leasing a new Ram today. I cannot believe the deal I got on it. I put my old, very beat up Dakota towards it.

I was looking at the Wranglers but there was nearly a $100/month difference between the Ram. It works out better, since I may get a trailer to transport the viper to the track.

So I'll share daily driving between the MS6 and the Ram. Probably going to sell off the Talon next month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been years since I've gotten on any Mazda forum and this was the first thread I saw.

I'm an original as well buying my 07 speed6 in March 2008 brand new.

Mine was tucked away on the corner of the lot and they said they simply couldn't sell it due to the price being so high for a Mazda. Low and behold it was mine an hour later after trading in my mazda3! I got a killer deal on it.

It's been a bulletproof car. Only oil changes every 3000 miles, spark plugs, fluids, and wiper blades I've had no issues. I'm at 104k miles

I had clutch and turbo replaced at 5k miles under warranty in 11/2008.

Great car, happy and lucky to get a late production unit

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm still here...bought my car in Aug 2006, coming up on 11 years of ownership now.
It's been a great car but I think we might be getting to the end of the road with it as my main daily driver.
Can't believe how old the car (and myself) have gotten in the past decade XD.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been years since I've gotten on any Mazda forum and this was the first thread I saw.

I'm an original as well buying my 07 speed6 in March 2008 brand new.

Mine was tucked away on the corner of the lot and they said they simply couldn't sell it due to the price being so high for a Mazda. Low and behold it was mine an hour later after trading in my mazda3! I got a killer deal on it.

It's been a bulletproof car. Only oil changes every 3000 miles, spark plugs, fluids, and wiper blades I've had no issues. I'm at 104k miles

I had clutch and turbo replaced at 5k miles under warranty in 11/2008.

Great car, happy and lucky to get a late production unit
That's awesome! I remember I saw the MS6 for the first time when I bought my MZ6i in 2006. I was awestruck when I saw it in the showroom. I didn't even know it existed and when I found out what it actually had in it, I vowed to get it. In the following year, I took one for a test drive at a local dealer and they refused to budge off the MSRP. So I went to the largest dealer in NJ and got it like $4k or more off MSRP.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still here...bought my car in Aug 2006, coming up on 11 years of ownership now.
It's been a great car but I think we might be getting to the end of the road with it as my main daily driver.
Can't believe how old the car (and myself) have gotten in the past decade XD.
Nice, you got me beat :)

I agree, it's still a great car even a decade later. One of my mounting concerns as it ages was if it would remain reliable as a DD. I bought it to keep for the long haul. I feel a bit better now as it will share DD duties for me.

Ugh...if I had to go back and think of how much has changed for me over those past 10 years. :surprise:

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
It's funny- the never heard of em, then had to have one is a story often repeated, even by me! I was hard core trying to locate a MSP that hadn't been abused in horrible ways (darn near impossible) and just stumbled across a pic that I thought was simply a neat body kit on an MSP... Looked at the ad a bit closer... ?!? What the heck is a MS6?

.... hmmmmmmmm
........ Really??
..............REALLY???!

a bit of shopping around and 48 hours later I owned my TiGray beasty.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That's awesome! I remember I saw the MS6 for the first time when I bought my MZ6i in 2006. I was awestruck when I saw it in the showroom. I didn't even know it existed and when I found out what it actually had in it, I vowed to get it. In the following year, I took one for a test drive at a local dealer and they refused to budge off the MSRP. So I went to the largest dealer in NJ and got it like $4k or more off MSRP.
When I bought my 1st MS6, new in 2007, I was actually set to buy a new TL as my daily (Had a 10 second Mustang at the time for my toy) and I stumbled across a used MS6 at a dealer. I test drove it & had to have one. Bought my '07 shortly after at another dealer for a steal. Got rid of that one little over 3 years later. It was rock solid. Only gas & oil changes. Then got into a huge mistake 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track. Ditched that less than a year later for a 335xi. Loved that, but wanted a C6 Vette more. Sold that & got the Vette. Sold that and got into another MS6. Did not sell the C6 because I wanted another MS6 more, though lol. I have had this MS6 for over 4 years now. Time for a big turbo.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Hey Stephen ( @Byakuya; )
This probably can't be done, tough to implement, verify etc, but I'm wondering if we could maybe get a badge made up for these original owners?

After a decade, or even longer, I think it'd be neat to do something to honor these folks! Heck, if you catch the management in a good mood maybe try to twist their arm into giving them Lifetime status too?

Maybe it's just early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but it seems like a nifty idea

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Hey Stephen ( @Byakuya; )
This probably can't be done, tough to implement, verify etc, but I'm wondering if we could maybe get a badge made up for these original owners?

After a decade, or even longer, I think it'd be neat to do something to honor these folks! Heck, if you catch the management in a good mood maybe try to twist their arm into giving them Lifetime status too?

Maybe it's just early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but it seems like a nifty idea
I'm completely okay with making a "Original Owner" or "Longtime Owner" badge or something like that.

I still have the template from when I made all the updated badges on here (6OTM, Moderator, Liftime member, etc).

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Maybe like the lifetime badge, two rows with Speed6 on top and Original Owner across the bottom? I dunno- will totally defer to you and the community, I just wanted to toss the idea out and see if it would live on it's own :)

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Wow, Seems like a short list so far. I bought my back in Nov 2005. It has been my DD until I modded. sob, sob, sob. Still trying to iron out kinks with the boost. Has been with CP-e for months now which is fine with me. Trying to keep costs low. Problem with W/M spraying and not hitting target boost.

Any way glad to see there are a few of us still around. Maybe someday soon I get to drive my car again. hahaha!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
13 Participants
Speed135
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing