Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone....i have been all over this site tonight trying to gather as much information as i can about tires for the speed6. When my lease began, i just benched the Bridgestone tires and got the Pzero all season tires hoping that they would last me a long time. Here it is one year later and they won't pass inspection.

i wanted to get some other all-season tires for the car hoping that they would last longer....25k miles would be ideal so i'd be at ~40k when they wore out, then i could go back to the Bridgestones and burn them down till trade in time....However, there are no AS tires in the stock size with the proper load rating, at least i couldnt find any.

here is what i am looking at

Avon A550 / Continetal ContiExtremeContact
sizes:

225/40/18 - i hear these will not fit on a 7" wide rim?
225/45/18 - will these fit on the stock rim without rolling the fender?

Cooper Zeon ZPT
215/45/18 - load rating of 89...so these are out

Anybody running an All Season tire other than the PZero that didnt require a fender roll?? I'm hoping i have some other option besides new tires every 14k miles

Thanks

-D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you have no problem with the 225/45/18 rubbing?? Half the posts ive seen on here say they should be fine, the other half say 'you better roll' for that size. Is there an authority on the topic??

-D

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the search of a sticky, (Somewhat) all season tire for my project car, I came across some Toyo Proxes 4 at a great deal, and they actually do a decent job of performing for an all season tire. It's the same tire compound as the T1s. (I think thats the nomenclature). Keep in my, this is on a 350 plus whp 240. So, I would assume they would be adequate on the Mazdaspeed 6. Once I wear out my stockers on the Speed, I will let you know.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4's 225/45/18, this is what I have on mine. They also have a 95 load rating, 300 treadwear and are about $115 each.

Those Avons weigh 4 million pounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions.

225/45/ZR18

Sweet ride, good grip. 40000mi warranty.

I love them.
[/b]
I've been considering these tires, but I didn't know if I should go with the 40 or 45 sidewall. Are those on the stock rims? Any problem with rubbing without rolling the fenders?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Those Pirellis have the highest treadwear rating of any in that size, says a lot for them. There are next to no choices in 18's, makes me think the 17x7 or 17x8 wheels are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Alright everyone....i have been all over this site tonight trying to gather as much information as i can about tires for the speed6. When my lease began, i just benched the Bridgestone tires and got the Pzero all season tires hoping that they would last me a long time. Here it is one year later and they won't pass inspection.
[/b]
Wow. I was about to pull the trigger on the Pirellis Pzero Neros Were they the M&S version that you had?

Will the Toyo Proxes 225/45/18 fit fine on the stock wheels with no rubbing or other issues? I know two members have mentioned it but they haven't mentioned if they still had the stock wheel or if they had rubbing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow. I was about to pull the trigger on the Pirellis Pzero Neros Were they the M&S version that you had?

Will the Toyo Proxes 225/45/18 fit fine on the stock wheels with no rubbing or other issues? I know two members have mentioned it but they haven't mentioned if they still had the stock wheel or if they had rubbing.
[/b]
Mazda6guy,

I don't actually have the Toyo Proxes 4 on my Speed6, only on my Nissan 240. I have the exact size you listed. 225/45/18. But, since that is such a small car designed with small 15 inch wheels, I would assume the 225/45/18 would fit the Mazda as well. I'll def be looking for these tires again when I wear out the stockers on the Speed.

·
Registered
488 Posts

[/b]

Yes they fit, stock rims no rubbing 225/45 Proxes 4's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have to be careful with those cooper tires. I think the ZPT's have a load rating of 89, MS6 requires a 91 load rating minimum

-D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Have to be careful with those cooper tires. I think the ZPT's have a load rating of 89, MS6 requires a 91 load rating minimum

-D
[/b]
93 minimum load rating I believe. The 91 load rating is for the lightweight 6s. Our cars have a fat ass.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i hope the pzeros don't suck too much; i just put on a set this week.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same here, except ive had mine on for the last month and a half.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just under 14k miles for me and they are completely gone....need to be replaced by the end of the month so the car will pass inspection.

This 93 load rating is another punch in the face. That takes out the avon's and the continetal's...they are both at 92

there are no toyo dealers around here, any good websites where you can get some proxes 4?? saw they werent on tire rack...

Never thought tires were going to be this much of an ordeal

-D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
there are no toyo dealers around here, any good websites where you can get some proxes 4?? saw they werent on tire rack...

-D
[/b]
Try http://tires-easy.com/start.html

They have them for $132.60 per tire. I'm just wondering how good they could possibly in light snow. The description mentions nothing about snow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just under 14k miles for me and they are completely gone....need to be replaced by the end of the month so the car will pass inspection.

This 93 load rating is another punch in the face. That takes out the avon's and the continetal's...they are both at 92

-D
[/b]

I got mine from edgeracing.com, I have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think I'm going 17x7 and ridding myself of the 18" nightmare.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
93 minimum load rating I believe. The 91 load rating is for the lightweight 6s. Our cars have a fat ass.
[/b]
As long as you aren't hauling 5 fat people or a trunk full of cement mix, you should be ok with a 91.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts