Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completely upgraded my sound system except for that CRAPPY stock head unit!!!
Lots of JL Audio electronics, Boston speakers, etc. Still sounds like a constipated elephant pushing a square turd.

Before I resign myself to mediocrity, is there hope?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Reading Topic: Any news yet on a dash kit for head unit?

there are no dash kits. the thing you could do is have a head unit mounted in the front dash compartment. i have also seen headunits mounted in the center consoles of cars. that way, you can have an aftermarket HU, and still have it look stock.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Nothing I've heard of yet. You sound like your into your music and know your shit when its comes to car audio, so I would suggest one of the above options for the time being. The ideal situation, and I'm not sure what your head unit components are, would be a CD changer and a head with a remote, which would make it easier to mess with while driving if you had to mount it in the upper storage/nav compartment. You might even be able to push the head back enough the compartment could close, thus hiding the head unit. Several people have also suggested a good LOC in concert with a good amp....wish there was more, I'm waiting for this to get resolved before I dive into my audio upgrades

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Any news yet on a dash kit for head unit?'

I've been told by others on this forum that the HU can't be angled into the center bin because of electronics and material underneath, so it looks like the top of the bin would have to be opened or removed to put the HU there. Will search out other locations in the vehicle and keep all updated.

I was told by my installer at Sound Advice that the steering wheel controls COULD be programmed as a remote to operate a head unit in another location, like a "learning " remote. My Alpine head unit from my late Maxima in sitting in my garage, waiting for a solution.

BTW, the JL Audio amps are receiving the high voltage speaker outputs, then converting the signal via the built in "LOC"

·
Registered
301 Posts

Yeah I'm looking to get a 6 in September and I REALLY hope that a dash kit has surfaced by that time. As has been said previously, opinions would vary on the sound quality obtained when you don't have RCA outs for use.

I thought about stashing a head unit somewhere else, but I would hate having the stock stereo console still there, when it wasn't being used at all - too unclean for me for a new car.

·
Registered
657 Posts

You can easily mount the head unit/Changer in the center console, keeping the stock looks and the aftermarket stuff completely hidden. Just a thought.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Has anyone installed the head unit in the upper bin? Pictures? Difficulty?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Has anyone installed the head unit in the center console? Pictures? Difficulty? Looks too narrow to me!

·
Registered
78 Posts

Originally posted by mitchfried

Has anyone installed the head unit in the center console?  Pictures? Difficulty?  Looks too narrow to me![/b]

I'd like to see pictures too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts